Team-BHP - Proposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Proposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/158027-proposal-ban-15-year-old-vehicles-edit-concept-paper-released-page-18-a.html)

More than 15-year-old vehicles not permitted to ply in Delhi: National Green Tribunal

Quote:

NEW DELHI: Dismayed at increasing air pollution in the national capital, the National Green Tribunal today held that all vehicles which were more than 15 years old would not be permitted to ply on the city roads.

"It is undisputed and in fact unquestionable that the air pollution of NCT, Delhi, is getting worse with each passing day. It not only projects the very dismayed state of affairs existing with clear indication that worst is likely to follow...

"All vehicles, diesel or petrol, which are more than 15 years old shall not be permitted to ply on the roads...This direction would be applicable to all vehicles without exception i.e. two wheelers, three wheelers, four wheelers, light vehicles and heavy vehicles irrespective of whether commercial or otherwise," the bench said.
Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/45289221.cms

Just read this shocking article. My question is what happens to all the vintage beauties on Delhi roads. What will happen to the thriving vintage bike biz in India which is centered around Delhi, mechanics who restore these prestine beauties??? The owners who have spend lakhs restoring them. EVen the aam aadmi who has can't affort to upgrade his puraani scooter???
The only one who would benefit from this move would be the auto industry. RIP Delhi vintage world. :Frustrati

Hi Leepower, I do understand where you are coming from, but this is a rule followed in most developed economies, with of course a caveat for vehicles maintained as vintage.
IMHO, India requires some rules like this from both the environmental as well as safety aspect, we have commercial vehicles over 20 years old plying on the road and are a clear threat to themselves as well as the other road users, this needs to be curbed and this is the first baby step. We need to figure out how this can be done without impacting the need to conserve , maybe a amendment in law to this effect makes sense, but the law in itself makes a lot of sense.

Of course commercial vehicles are a different case altogether. They should be banned. But to say that all vehicles which are more than 15-years-old, including rare vintage gems, should be banned from plying on public road in the national capital is preposterous. There has to be a clear demarcation on vintage vehicles and rest. But again today's junk is tomorrow's gem. How would that be sorted out???

Normal cars should be put under this which is agreed and justifiable due to their qty.

But I have been speaking on this for a for a while with various clubs across India in the past or when opportunity arises that the Legal ( documents and ownership & moving ) cars in the Vintage and Classic fraternity category get a special status or numbered series of identification like a sticker or a different colour on the plates for them to be plied.

Our cars are never used everyday anyways and numbers are few to create such an environmental issue.

America has a historical / antique Proposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18-imageuploadedbyteambhp1417053278.760313.jpgProposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18-imageuploadedbyteambhp1417053293.529926.jpgProposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18-imageuploadedbyteambhp1417053302.903847.jpgvehicle status . You pay an annual fee or even a one time fee which allows you to put a tag with a code/number on the plate. Which allows you to use the car.

Cheers

I read this article too this morning over breakfast. So it means I cant drive my 30 year old Royal Enfield Bullet in Delhi anymore? Am I correct in understanding that this has no come into force immediately as well?

jeroen

In my opinion this is a knee-jerk reaction and a very short-sighted one - one which has not really been thought out well.

As other here have mentioned, this immediately prevents classics and other well-maintaned non-classics from existing, not to mention affecting those of us who are not privileged enough to afford newer vehicles.

The way it works in Canada is that every vehicle needs to be be tested for emissions- and safety-compliance once it reaches five years of age and then every alternate year subsequently. If the vehicle fails either of these tests, the owner has to carry out the provided recommendations to bring the vehicle within compliance and have it re-tested.

The said vehicle's licence-plate would be renewed only upon providing data-based evidence of its having passed these tests. If the vehicle cannot be brought into compliance, the vehicle necessarily has to be condemned and scrapped on the spot. It cannot even be driven back home from the testing centre.

This practice would negate the necessity of passing arbitrary laws such as the outright condemnation of any vehicle over a certain age irrespective of whether it is road-worthy or not.

Of course, this requires that taxation (or licencing) of the vehicle be on an annual (or once in two years) basis, which goes against the current practice of lifetime tax.

This kind of annual taxation would also remove the issue of owners of outstation licence-plates being harassed by local authorities.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leepower (Post 3589655)
More than 15-year-old vehicles not permitted to ply in Delhi: National Green Tribunal

A typical Indian decision. And then they say Indian people are pessimistic & always suspect corruption. I wonder who drives this so called "green commission". Perhaps someone from an auto company that is consistently making losses?

Who suffers? The poor common man who has all the rights as per the constitution but NO real power than to obey what is ordered by those who aren't worthy of decision making.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gops2009 (Post 3589657)
Hi Leepower, I do understand where you are coming from, but this is a rule followed in most developed economies, with of course a caveat for vehicles maintained as vintage.
IMHO, India requires some rules like this from both the environmental as well as safety aspect, we have commercial vehicles over 20 years old plying on the road and are a clear threat to themselves as well as the other road users, this needs to be curbed and this is the first baby step. We need to figure out how this can be done without impacting the need to conserve , maybe a amendment in law to this effect makes sense, but the law in itself makes a lot of sense.

Commercial vehicles should be banned I agree. But what about my (or anyone else's) vehicle which I've maintained in pristine condition, doesn't pollute even as much as a new vehicle? Its not a Vintage. Maybe its just a Bajaj Super. Maybe its an Indica. If it doesn't pollute, why scrap it? So that some auto company can make money? Come on lawmakers, I'm not as stupid as you think I am.

And in the developed world, the people get a lot of facilities from the government as well. Roads for example. Not gravel tracks that we assume are roads in India. So, India has a few decades if not centuries to start implementing such "developed world" things.

If you want polluting vehicles off the road, use the so called "PUC" infrastructure the way it is supposed to be used. Nobody cares about the "green" other than the real common people. All these "green initiatives" are only to make more money, and more, and even more.

This may look like a rant. Because IT IS!

This is when you have people who want to take the easy way out.
They have allowed this city to fall in the state it is, and now want to appear like good guys.

Instead of ensuring emission norms are met, you just throw out the baby with the bathwater.
I wonder what will it do to the resale of those lovely 1998-2002 model LCs. Time to pick one up I guess for a song!

Guess what, pollution will still be the same, nothing will change, except additional profits for Auto companies, and misery to many people.
If these people were serious about fixing delhi, the peripheral ring roads ordered by the Supreme court would have been completed, and without the heavy traffic crossing Delhi 50% of the problem would be solved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3589854)
I wonder what will it do to the resale of those lovely 1998-2002 model LCs. Time to pick one up I guess for a song!

Someone's loss is someone's gain. I should better sell my Bolero 4x4 and instead pick a LC from delhi ASAP ;)

Shubhendra

What do they intend to do about the lakhs of cars from NCR which enter Delhi everyday? Do they plan to check the age of every single car entering the capital on Monday mornings?

As someone based in Faridabad, I cant go to Noida or Greater Noida or Ghaziabad or Sonepat etc without crossing Delhi. Itra NCR connectivity is a joke without Delhi roads.

Already feeling nostalgic for my Lancer Slxi which is in mint condition and will be completing 15 years in August 2015. I am not at all against this ruling but somehow i want to save this beauty.

Silly law. There are a lot of pensioners, who have old cars which they drive maybe 2-3000km per year! They may not be able rto afford new vehicles!

I guess this tribunal is manned by activists from the CSE and others, who do not pay for their vehicles.

Pray what about the Sarkari White Marias (maybe 5 years old) who often smoke like crazy. Only yesterday I saw a petrol tanker in SouthEx smoking like crazy. Have the pollution laws and do not bother about the age.

The ruling seems to be result of prevalent corruption in RTO and Pollution control boards. We all know how to get a fitness certificate in Delhi and it seems checking corruption is far more difficult than checking vehicles. In Gurgaon, the PUC certificate is issued without even checking the car. One can get the certificate based on the previous one.

One should be more concerned about health of Delhites than 15 year old cars, particularly after this article published in some newspapers today:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle6636009.ece

Short Sighted Law . Instead of correcting RTO's who approve fitness of any vehicle irrespective of conditions they have taken the right of a common man to enjoy a well maintained vehicle .

Surprisingly, the TOI mentioned today that the ban applies to diesel vehicles only. Not sure where they got their information from.

IMO, as long as the vehicles carry valid PUCs , they should be allowed to run. If PUCs are being wrongly issued, then they should pull up their socks.

I don't want to be forced into selling my 13.5 year old WagonR just because of this stupid rule.