Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2014, 23:26   #106
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Honda City hands down!

By far one the best vehicles this year!
Old 6th December 2014, 23:33   #107
BHPian

I voted for the Zest - This is what the Vista platform should have been all along.
Old 6th December 2014, 23:42   #108
BHPian

For me, the COTY has to bring in a new conversation into the segment either in terms of design, practicality, performance or features. Whether the product is a success or not eventually depends on mutiple things - brand equity, sales network, after sales reputation, etc.

So from a purely product perspective, I shortlisted my choice to Celerio, Zest, Elite i20 and A3. I further dropped A3 as its impact is limited to the very premium end of the market.

Among the rest, Celerio did kick start the AMT conversation but the rest of the aspects of the product is pretty mediocre.

That leaves the Zest and i20. For me it was very close between them but I had to go with Zest as it is a completely new effort all throughout be it the engine, design, interiors and features.

The Elite i20 though stunning has stuck with its old engine and gearbox and has even dropped safety features.

While Zest may not be the biggest commercial success out of the list of cars here, it beats the others in terms of sheer effort.
vivekz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 23:57   #109
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Zest, ofcourse, would LOVE to see TATA Motors win this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
What ? where ? When? is it?
Am i missing something here ?
I am not trying to be sarcastic , but would really like to know what makes you state that. ...
Tata Motors scored above M&M & even the mighty Toyota in the JD Customer Satisfaction Index.

Link : http://india.jdpower.com/sites/defau..._Final_Rev.pdf

Ofcourse, they haven't got as many service centers as Maruti, but IMO thats since as of now they're only ~1/9th the sales of Maruti.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 00:25   #110
BHPian

Zest it is.

Why?

1. I own a Vista and it's true value for money. Zest simply carries it forward with aplomb.
2. No issue with respect to A.S.S now. They have improved drastically. Have experienced it in Hyderabad/Raipur/Chandigarh. Feel like laughing at all the comments which say Tata A.S.S is a gamble/questionable/quirky. No offences, but 99% of the people who comment, don't own a Tata car. They only go by one odd negative comment in the media/forums.
3. Tata has truly come a long way from Indica to Zest. Which other Indian car has. You call Maruti Indian. NAH. It's Suzuki that it depended on these years. So the Indian company does deserve a salute.
4. Pricing of the car is droolworthy. Once might buy i20 for the X factor, but it makes Zero sense once compared to the Zest's space & comfort. Not to mention the dirt cheap service costs.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 00:47   #111
BHPian

Voted for Zest - It's a new beginning for Tata. Quality wise and features wise, second to none.
Old 7th December 2014, 01:24   #112
BHPian

Voted for Elite I20. It's design truly stands out.

Zest was a strong contender. Not voting for the Tata as I haven't seen this up close yet and am yet to see evidence of Tata motors getting it's act right.

They tried to make headway in recent years with products like the Manza, Nano etc, but failed to capture the market's interest or the customer's hearts. The Zest's design is not radically different from the Indigo Manza and is not exactly confidence inspiring.

I could be wrong about the Zest though !
Old 7th December 2014, 01:48   #113
BHPian

It was a no brainer for me. Voted for the new C class.
Old 7th December 2014, 02:26   #114
Senior - BHPian

I voted before seeing the comments. Zest indeed is the car of the year though its coming from Tata.

If only Tata can create a service platform exclusive for owners and make it a better service experience.

good to see the results
Old 7th December 2014, 03:09   #115
BHPian

A most informative and interesting article, "BHP Car of the Year". Enjoyed the pics and the pans of each model. Congratulations.
Old 7th December 2014, 03:26   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post

Mahindra Scorpio: Can someone please tell me why this is considered a new platform - most of the sheet metal is the same, the engine is a carry over - just some changes under the hood do not a new car make. May be wandering off topic but I would have thought the Vento/Polo/Rapid TDi DSG / GT TSi have a lot more NEW to offer customers than the Scorpio does.
)
You are largely mistaken. The 2014 Scorpio is completely revamped, which includes major component refreshes like the chassis, suspension,transmission etc. The new Scorpio is very different from its predecessor and is certainly worth being called a new car.

Even though I agree that the new Polo has evolved quite a lot, the OP states that updated engine variants or facelifts will not be considered for the competition, hence its is fair that the VW twins are not included.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 03:41   #117
BHPian

Voted for the Zest. Tata has come a long long way. I hope they keep on improving, they seem to be on the right track.
All through the pages I noticed a lot of people said that they voted for the Zest but are unsure of the A$$. True there may have been cases where niggles weren't sorted out or weren't handled well, but we've had a Manza for 4 years now, and the A$$ has been friendly,helpful and cheap.
Cheers
Old 7th December 2014, 04:54   #118
BHPian

Voted for the Zest. Excellent effort from TATA and I hope it will start their revival.

I did consider Celerio too for bringing AMT to the segment but don't think it is VFM.
Old 7th December 2014, 07:41   #119
Senior - BHPian

Oh boy! For once I have voted for the majority!

The Zest seems to be leagues ahead here. Perhaps this also spells a turn in the Tata Motos' fortune.

Is this the first time for a Tata car to win this poll?
Old 7th December 2014, 07:51   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Seems Zest would be crowned based on the initial voting pattern. This got me thinking: this might be the car of year that a lot of people would not buy when push comes to the shove!

So Tata, a word of caution for you: please don't be carried away by all the hooplah here and elsewhere since there is a good chance Zest will garner quite a few accolades this year. Rather, please continue to burn that midnight oil and ensure the rest of ownership experience is beffiting the product you have created!
This is exactly what happens for a Tata product. Though Zest is good, the common people, I mean non bhpians majority of them never choose a Tata product. It is always something from Maruti/Hyundai/Toyota. They simply rely on the brand value and best A.S.S.

Tata is just showing interest in bringing out new models but they haven't improved in A.S.S. As a Manza owner, I am very sure that I will not choose a Tata product again, however good it may be.

My vote goes to Scorpio, a real vfm package. Elite i20 is also good. But the diesel top end is over priced

Last edited by rki2007 : 7th December 2014 at 07:55.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks