Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2014, 08:29   #121
ARG
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

To my mind, a "Car of the Year" has to attempt to do (& hopefully, succeed in) something radical - relatively, of course.

My vote goes to the Celerio, and Maruti, for what they call Auto Gear Shift (AGS) - in a segment where it will highly likely, make the most difference to the end-user.

As we all know, auto-gearboxes are expensive to build & maintain, & generally, less fuel-efficient. So how does the Celerio get around that? - put a (hydraulic) control unit on a 5-speed MT, & eliminate the clutch! Simple!

At a personal level, I dislike the Celerio's design and the (Maruti) tinny-feel.
Old 7th December 2014, 08:50   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
This is exactly what happens for a Tata product. Though Zest is good, the common people, I mean non bhpians majority of them never choose a Tata product. It is always something from Maruti/Hyundai/Toyota. They simply rely on the brand value and best A.S.S.

Tata is just showing interest in bringing out new models but they haven't improved in A.S.S. As a Manza owner, I am very sure that I will not choose a Tata product again, however good it may be.
That is quite a bold statement their referring to all the non bhpians staying away from Tata product. I guess being a Tata owner you must be aware about plethora of cars at the service stations with people from various demographies. I know many people including myself who have had great experience at Tata A.S.S. and worse experiences with Maruti and other brands.

In my past 2 years of ownership of Storme, the Tata guys have treated me like a King and tried their level best to ensure that i go back home with a smile on my face, right from the day of delivery till today. The product portfolio and quality has actually improved and these people are not the same i think. I still feel sad for the loss of Karl Slym, in his short span in Tata motors he has brought some good changes in the ideology of the personnel.

The consistent bashing of Tata motors somehow seems unjustified to me, every automobile manufacture in this country have had sorry story's, be it the germans, the japanese or any other elite brands. Do not mistake me for a patriot or a loyalist here, its my opinion and i strongly feel that its high time we change or at least give our perception chance to adapt and see things around in a much wider and holistic manner.

As far as the vote goes, its Zest for me, the moment i drove the car it felt like a premium product inside out with lots of hard work gone into it with a good pricing and commendable service package. Way to go tata
NST440 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 09:00   #123
BHPian

My vote is for Tata Zest. Its a hugely improved vehicle. Tata could have made it a market success but have failed to take advantage.
Old 7th December 2014, 09:19   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
That is quite a bold statement their referring to all the non bhpians staying away from Tata product. I guess being a Tata owner you must be aware about plethora of cars at the service stations with people from various demographies. I know many people including myself who have had great experience at Tata A.S.S. and worse experiences with Maruti and other brands.

In my past 2 years of ownership of Storme, the Tata guys have treated me like a King and tried their level best to ensure that i go back home with a smile on my face, right from the day of delivery till today. The product portfolio and quality has actually improved and these people are not the same i think. I still feel sad for the loss of Karl Slym, in his short span in Tata motors he has brought some good changes in the ideology of the personnel.

The consistent bashing of Tata motors somehow seems unjustified to me, every automobile manufacture in this country have had sorry story's, be it the germans, the japanese or any other elite brands. Do not mistake me for a patriot or a loyalist here, its my opinion and i strongly feel that its high time we change or at least give our perception chance to adapt and see things around in a much wider and holistic manner.

As far as the vote goes, its Zest for me, the moment i drove the car it felt like a premium product inside out with lots of hard work gone into it with a good pricing and commendable service package. Way to go tata
Let me clarify, I think my statement has been misunderstood. What I wanted to say was that only bhpians or those who happen to read the reviews on the forum understand the nittygritties of a Tata Car and finally opt to buy a Tata Car understanding the vfm factor. Other just don't even have a Tata car in their list when they are evaluating a purchase.

I have seen this myself when I was trying to convince a couple of friends of mine to buy a Manza, they rejected it just because it was a Tata product plus poor A.S.S.

In a way, they are correct because I know the struggle that I go through to get all the complaints attended during service and no service has been pleasant and satisfied. This was not the case when I had a Maruti or Hyundai. The probability of things going correct for the Maruti/Hyundai in terms of A.S.S is more than Tata.

Hope things are clear now.

Any day I am satisfied with my Manza, but the main problem is the A.S.S. I am happy that you are getting a good A.S.S support, but that is not the case everywhere.
rki2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 09:24   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Celerio. For starting the AMT thread. Second option would have been Zest, felt it was a big step up for TATA.
Old 7th December 2014, 09:36   #126

Voted for the Zest. The overall package at that price is quite an achievement for TATA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Voted for the Zest.

Looks good. Feels good. Has an good backup. (Yes, Tata HAS improved!)

Bloody efficient. Oh, and for that lovely Revotron as well.

The Elite i20 is a good car, but I feel Fiat should drag Hyundai to court.

And here's why-

Attachment 1315729

The Elite i20's backside. Familiar enough, eh? Now for this-

Attachment 1315730

The Alfa Romeo Giulietta
. The Italians surely know how to design cars, eh? But, there's more than an uncanny resemblance between the Alfetta, and the Korean crate.

Also-
Attachment 1315731

The 2010 Alfa Romeo 159.

As is evident, there's more than an uncanny resemblance between the Alfettas, and the Korean crate. Fiat, where art thou?

Let the action be taken!

That said, WHERE exactly is the Avventura? It is a new model, and is very much launched in 2014. If the Zest is present, why not this petite Fiat?

+1. The first time I saw the rear quarter panel in red I just thought ALFA. Even the color is an almost perfect match.
Old 7th December 2014, 09:38   #127
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Tata Zest. Hugely improved from previous generation Tata & seems like complete package which can satisfy the urban as well as semi-urban users. Quality improved top notch right from steering wheel to engine to interiors.

However, for me Honda City also a contender but apart from Chroming and Diesel, I do not see much value addition to car. However, City is fantastic car from previous generations and there was hardly any scope there for improvement in present generation.

Some options failed on absurd price point of view and many failed on Safety aspect for me specially Marutis.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 09:48   #128
BHPian

My pick for the COTY would be for sure the new Hyundai i20 Elite.
Visually the car is simply stunning and definitely a head turner. For the very first time I saw it on the road I mistook it for an A3 (Sorry Audi owners).
Though slightly overpriced than its competitors it is worth the money you would pay for a more comfort ride and spacious cabin and excellent A.S.S

Not to forget the TATA's are back with vengeance. As per initial response from the consumers, I'm sure Zest is gonna be game-changer for TATA. For now we shall wait and watch the show.

May the best car Win !!!
Old 7th December 2014, 09:59   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Feel like laughing at all the comments which say Tata A.S.S is a gamble/questionable/quirky. No offences, but 99% of the people who comment, don't own a Tata car. They only go by one odd negative comment in the media/forums.
At least a good fraction of them were early adopters of Tata - trusting Tata and buying the Indica/Indigo V1 or believing Tata when they said everything is sorted out and bought Indica V2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
It was a no brainer for me. Voted for the new C class.
On a lighter note, it was amusing to see a Ferrari logo on the left side and vote for Mercedes on the right side

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The Zest seems to be leagues ahead here. Perhaps this also spells a turn in the Tata Motos' fortune.

Is this the first time for a Tata car to win this poll?
No, this would not be the first Tata car to win COTY - Nano won it in the inaugural TBHP COTY 2009.

Don't think that winning this poll is going to do miracles. It just shows the attention and response from people at this point in time which means they've done something right till now. If they are not constantly improving, they would soon be forgotten as a yesteryear car. Just look at how the first two winners of COTY are fading into oblivion in a few years when better options came. The more recent winners would also slowly go the same path if the manufacturers do not innovate and keep it refreshed and contemporary.

As a matter of fact, no Maruti or Hyundai has won a TBHP COTY public poll yet, though they rule the market

Here are the winner's list from previous years:

2009: Nano
2010: Figo
2011: XUV 500
2012: Duster
2013: Ecosport

Last edited by zenren : 7th December 2014 at 10:01.
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 10:05   #130

My vote is for the Maruti Celerio simply because its a game changer / category creator in that it has made automatics affordable and also changed the perception that automatic cars are fuel guzzlers. We have to recognise innovation which brings the benefits to technology to masses at an affordable price point and also sustainability of delivering this proposition long term hence MSIL's efforts are noteworthy and my vote goes to Maruti Celerio
Old 7th December 2014, 10:23   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
What I wanted to say was that only bhpians or those who happen to read the reviews on the forum understand the nittygritties of a Tata Car and finally opt to buy a Tata Car understanding the vfm factor. Other just don't even have a Tata car in their list when they are evaluating a purchase.
Believe me , there are a lot many people who are unaware about automotive forums and are the owners of Tata vehicle. In the part of country where i reside, people have always loved the trust in Tata, an indigo, indica and Sumo is still the priority of people here when it comes to people movers.

As far as nitty gritties are concerned, I agree with you that a Tata owner is to be more cautious and careful, compared to a Toyota one but i feel that things are changing or improving for good now. I have seen many happy Vista customer, infact a friend of mine sold his indica driven around 1 lac kms and again bought an indica vista for its sheer VFM proposition and the good times he had with Tata A.S.S. & he has never looked for any forums yet.

I think you must talk to your dealer about your bad experiences and if need be, change the service center, many a time its not the brand but few people at the dealership who give a bad name to the entire company, thereby tarnishing the brand image and causing discomfort to the customers.
Old 7th December 2014, 10:40   #132
BHPian

I voted for the Ciaz. I feel this is a car that Maruti Suzuki has put their entire efforts into, to develop a strong competitor for the City and what they have come up with is a brilliant all-rounder (except for the unexciting diesel) which deserves the crown of team-bhp COTY!
Old 7th December 2014, 10:48   #133
BHPian

Its a tough match between the contenders.

I went with the Elite i20 coz that's what I went for from the lot. I had booked the Zest (still have that booking) before finally taking home the Elite. No regrets!
Old 7th December 2014, 10:52   #134
BHPian

It is Zest for me!! And no doubts whatsoever!
TM deserves this reward for initiating their reverse journey from their downtrends. It is sure that there has been significant efforts, investment, passion and commitment to bring out a better product.
I have personally checked out the cars. Both QJD and Rovotron are gems. They just outsmart the competition in terms of safety, space, features, VFM and of course design and build quality.

I did think of Celerio AMT, but for its tinny material and lack of safety features.

Elite i20, IMO, is a oomph factor. I have always been a fan of their old i20 diesel.
Old 7th December 2014, 11:00   #135
BHPian

My vote went to Celerio. It brought in AMT which woould be the word of year 2015-16 in automobile sector.

Noticing a big inclination towards Zest. It's a good car but would not want to place my bets on a Tata car that hasn't done 50k km yet for the infamous rattles and suspension issues to creep in.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks