Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2014, 11:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai India sells 4,00,000 cars in 2014!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
ix25 I guess! C'mon, India has different definitions for SUVs.
Calling ix25 an SUV is acceptable - but going as far as calling that an off-roader would be too optimistic!!
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 12:01   #17
D C
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
I have only one complaint with both Maruti & Hyundai, that both companies are laggards when it comes to safety. I personally would be happy to have fewer nice to have features but more safety features in all variants, in Maruti & Hyundais.
True to some extend. But, there are a few other things I would consider.

- Hyundai is the first one in India who brought in the curtain airbags to the hatchback segment. AFAIK, no other car in the segment had ABS and 6 Airbags when the i20 was introduced with safety features
- If more safety features are introduced at the lower segments (Altos and Eons), I do not think most of the people who buy that segment would be ready to shell out additional bucks for safety. Sad, but true. The only way is to impose safety, I am looking forward to have the law mandate all cars have basic safety features. We do have related discussions on other threads.

IMO, Hyundai has been successful in establishing their market in another country dominated by a domestic player. They just crossed a milestone that only Maruti has accomplished in India. I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai bye pass Maruti-Suzuki and accomplish more than the domestic player.
Old 26th December 2014, 12:09   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Negatives :

1) Like most of other manufacturers, Hyundai cheats Indian customer. Fixed head restrains in Indian grand i10, adjustable for exports. Sorry for repeating this, but somehow I feel Indian car buyers are cheated on this front : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3449025
Are you willing to pay 10 lakhs for the Grand i10 here in India? Will it find takers here for that price?

Hyundai India sells 4,00,000 cars in 2014!-i10-uk-pricing.png

The UK spec’d 1.2L SE comes equipped with the adjustable front head restraints, curtain airbags, front and rear disc brakes with ABS and EBD, DRLs, cruise control, ISOfix anchors for the rear seat, TPMS among others. The cost is 10000 pounds OTR. Do we need all those features for a practical VFM hatchback here in India?

The removable/adjustable head restraints for the front seats are a cost cutting measure. And so are the others I’ve mentioned above. How much cost do they (restraints) actually reduce per car, I am not really sure. 50 odd Rs. per car perhaps and that translates to 50 lakhs for a lakh Grand i10 sold which is a considerable amount as far as the manufacturer is considered. But you do get a whole lot of other features that other hatchbacks in its price bracket/segment doesn’t.

Source: Hyundai new i10 - UK

Please tell me how these adjustable restraints are helpful that you seem to miss them so much. They cannot be removed from the seatbacks and the pointed ends of the rods cannot be used to break the glass? A small hammer in the glovebox would serve that purpose. The head isn’t properly supported during long drives? The restraints aren’t meant for that.

For comparison sakes, the cheapest Grand i10 that retails in the UK comes with a 1L 65 hp engine which retails for 8.5 lakhs INR (converted) whereas we get a better 1.2L 82 hp engine that retails for less than 6 lakhs OTR. All car manufacturers cut costs wherever they can.

Sorry for going OT.
Gannu_1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 08:35   #19
BHPian

I agree with Gannu_1. You cannot get best of all the worlds. Hyundai has innovated when it comes to new features and styling. Either you can play niche like VW or turn the tables on maruti. That definitely needs a bit of cost cuts. Having said that, hyndai hasnt done the cost cuts to abysmal levels like Maruti and thats the actual feat when it comes to manufacturing. The interior quality and fit/finish is way above maruti.
spyder_p8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 17:22   #20
BHPian

Way to go Hyundai. Glad that I am part of this milestone. Bought my first ever car the Grand i10 Asta Petrol in June 2014

I strongly believe this sales figure will surge once Hyundai introduces its AMT range of cars and specially mated with the diesel engines. Looking forward to a day when safety features and AMTs will be the standard in all cars.

Last edited by g_saunak : 29th December 2014 at 17:24.
Old 30th December 2014, 16:17   #21
BHPian

Many congratulations to Hyundai for achieving this fabulous milestone. Having said that, let me admit I never owned a Hyundai car or anyone in my family.

If I go back and think how Hyundai was able to succeed, somewhere I feel they have right strategy in mind from beginning. I still remember them featuring SRK in their Santro adv. touching millions and calling it a sunshine car.

Glad that they bought refreshing designs to india including i10, i20 and Verna which can appeal many on road. They redefines interiors even before European started entering indian market. I agree there are thread exists on team-bhp on long term reliability issues in Hyundai but then thats true for almost all cars. I have few friends owning Santro and they vouch for the reliability of the car.

BTW, sometime I still think these i10, i20 could be the name of some Apple product

Regards
SE
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:27   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

More facts:

- Finally closes the year at 4.10 lakh units.

- Hyundai sees its highest market share in India (21.6%). This is exactly what I was talking about in my sales analysis threads. In the challenging market of today, it's the strong that are getting stronger, and the weak getting weaker. Maruti & Hyundai are absolutely relentless in fighting for sales, and are leaving no stones unturned.

- Over 43 lakh Hyundais serviced at authorised dealers!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks