Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2015, 16:25   #1
BHPian

Rumour: VW planning to bring the legendary GTI badge to India

Following the success of the GT twins, VW is planning to bring in the even more powerful Polo and Golf GTi to India.

Rumour: VW planning to bring the legendary GTI badge to India-db2014au01134_largejpg.jpeg

The international versions of the Polo & Golf GTi sport the properly fast 1.8 TSi engine that is already homologated for sale in India on other products from the group.

One thing that is not clear is whether VW will be planning to import the whole car as a CBU, or to assemble it in India. The former will easily drive the price of the car to ~20 lakh. While the latter might help to keep it this side of 16 lakh.

One thing is sure, this will be niche car that'll probably be fully loaded with all features and might drive the price up. The stock Polo GTi in the UK costs about Rs.19 lakh, but considering that even the base 1.2 petrol there costs 13 lakh, the Polo GTi might just be around 16 lakh in India.

Also what is not confirmed is whether the Golf hatchback will be making way to India.

Both the Golf and Polo GTi are highly acclaimed cars that are known for their wonderful driving characteristics.

Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ia-392539.aspx

Last edited by prakhar1998 : 5th January 2015 at 16:40.
prakhar1998 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 17:19   #2
BHPian

re: Rumour: VW planning to bring the legendary GTI badge to India

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
Following the success of the GT twins, VW is planning to bring in the even more powerful Polo and Golf GTi to India.

The international versions of the Polo & Golf GTi sport the properly fast 1.8 TSi engine that is already homologated for sale in India on other products from the group.
Well Said prakhar1998

This would surely fill the gap of a sorely missed Hot Hatch in India. Well Done VW if this is true.

Regarding homologation, i think VW will have to redo the homologation for the new car/Power Train combo which means even if an already available engine is plonked into an already homologated car, it needs to undergo the partial homologation process for the car/Engine combo. BHPians who know better can correct me if wrong.
Old 6th January 2015, 18:24   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: VW planning to bring the legendary GTI badge to India

Here's an excellent discussion on the topic of hot hatchbacks : Link. Very interesting to read all the different perspectives.
Old 6th January 2015, 19:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Polo GTi is a compelling package. It comes with VW's XDS Electronic LSD and now with a manual option too, although, I am sure VW would be launching it here as DSG only. That electronic LSD is more of a misnomer, it works by just braking the inside wheel to tighten the line (the Delhi track boys will appreciate this!)

It has some nice toys too like switchable chassis settings to toggle between Sport/Comfort which stiffens the dampers, makes throttle delivery sharper and quickens the steering.

All fine and good. Interior is fully kitted out too. I guess adaptive cruise control might have to dropped for India. 184lb ft available between 1250rpm to 5300rpm(for the DSG cars) seems to suggest minimal turbo lag.

A very likeable idea this car. But at what price?

I checked the Uk prices and starts from around pounds 18,000 for the 3 door manual.Lets say pounds 20,000 is the version we get,then a direct conversion but its around Rs 20Lakhs.If imported as a CBU it will be i guess over 40Lakhs!

If imported as a CKD,even then i am sure the price cant be below 25Lakhs.Can this be made on a regular Polo production line by just bolting the necessary stuff to a regular Polo shell?

At 25L i dont see more than it being a boutique limited edition model.I will be surprised if they sell 100.

The Indian consumer is very slow to start accepting changes.It is only now that they are ready to fork out 25-35L for 'Hatchback' Beemers and Mercs,and that is only because of the badge up front.The poor fellow(read Indian consumer) will have a heart attack now if asked to spend the same amount for a Polo.

Last edited by GTO : 7th January 2015 at 18:05. Reason: Spacing :)
avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 16:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A single unit of the Volkswagen Polo 1.8L GTI has been imported into India for testing purposes.

Rumour: VW planning to bring the legendary GTI badge to India-untitled.gif

The Polo GTI sports a 1.8-litre turbocharged TSI engine that produces 192.6 PS of max power and peak torque of 250 Nm.

The engine is mated to a 7-speed DSG gearbox and can do a 0-100 kmph sprint in just 6.7 seconds.

Rumour: VW planning to bring the legendary GTI badge to India-ed62f11daac97a02cd8c3189d50c220a_555x416_1.jpg

Zauba (via Oncars)
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 16:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
A single unit of the Volkswagen Polo 1.8L GTI has been imported into India for testing purposes.

The Polo GTI sports a 1.8-litre turbocharged TSI engine that produces 192.6 PS of max power and peak torque of 250 Nm.

The engine is mated to a 7-speed DSG gearbox and can do a 0-100 kmph sprint in just 6.7 seconds.

Zauba (via Oncars)
Abarth effect! Let the games begin.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 16:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Abarth effect! Let the games begin.
I would prefer the explosive 1.8 TSI with DSG anyday over 1.4L turbo charged petrol with a manual tranny that Abarth offers.

If offered below 20lakhs, i think the GTI would touch the unexploited sweet spot in the hot hatch segment similar to what a 15 lakh XUV did to the SUV segment.

Last edited by super.cars : 14th July 2015 at 16:56.
super.cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 16:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
I would prefer 1.8 TSI with DSG anyday over 1.4L turbo charged petrol with a manual tranny that Abarth offers.

If offered below 20lakhs, i think the GTI would touch the unexploited sweet spot in the hot hatch segment similar to what a 15 lakh XUV did to the SUV segment.
At 20lakh-ish pricepoint though, I would be looking for VW to launch the real McCoy GTi! Not the Polo GTi.
Old 14th July 2015, 16:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

It will be a big big failure.
A tail-less car with more than 10 lakh price?
Nice try!

Except tbhp forum members, I do not see others in general public buying this.
In which case it makes business sense for VW to import it as CBU.

Last edited by alpha1 : 14th July 2015 at 16:48.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 17:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

Nice try!
I probably cannot agree more with you alpha1 but something says we may be caught off-guard !!

Yes, mango people still go by the proportions and for many, Swift Dzire/Hyundai Xcent may appear a better car than a Mini Cooper S/Merc A Class !! Ironically, this "Mango" flavor seems to have been a thing of the past.

When I bought my first car, not a long time back (2007), automatic in India was News, let alone in a hatch back. Not even a decade and we have the smallest Hatch in the world with an Auto-tranny and the smallest Diesel Engine in the world with us today. Similarly, there surely is a good crowd for the other end of the spectrum.

Look what GT twins have done to VW's Polo legacy. A 20 Lakh hatchback might still be a crazy car to many, but biggies like Volvo, Audi, Merc and BMW have realized there is a huge opportunity there. Just for an understanding, Jazz petrol was priced at 6.9lks in its first innings and failed miserably. Today, Swift & I20 sell like hot cakes when they are price at over 7lks !!

If VW do bring in the GTI and somehow can price it at around 20lks, imagine how this will suck up all the probable V40, 1series, A-Class or A3 Customers !!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 14th July 2015 at 17:13.
Old 14th July 2015, 17:21   #11
BHPian

The hatch market has changed significantly since the Polo was launched. We have seen the new Swift, Elite i20 and now the new Jazz.

GT twins and facelifts did provide fresh energy to Polo but now that's getting old. Nee gen Polo is at least 2-3 years away. So this looks like a good way to keep the brand energised.

I don't think Polo sales have lost out too much - fluctuated yes but not gone the Brio or Figo route in terms of % downtrend.

A fresh infusion of energy into the brand may help it trundle along a couple of more years. And as far as an enthusiast with deep pockets is concerned, this should be an attractive proposition. Though I hope VW goes the Fiat way and uses Indian facilities for assembly to keep costs low, it won't cut ice even at 3-4 lacks below the A-Class territory.
Old 14th July 2015, 17:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would prefer the explosive 1.8 TSI with DSG anyday over 1.4L turbo charged petrol with a manual tranny that Abarth offers.

At just below Rs20L it might die faster than one can say Polo GTI, especially if the Abarth is below 10L.
Old 14th July 2015, 17:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
At just below Rs20L it might die faster than one can say Polo GTI, especially if the Abarth is below 10L.
I was referring to Abarth 595 which is expected to be priced at a whopping Rs. 35lakhs not the Punto Evo Abarth which might be priced at par with the GT TSI
Old 14th July 2015, 19:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:

I actually do not even see TBHP members bying this at 20L. Look at how many S60's are there on the forum. People start thinking about it, and then go the familiar route. Even if we are enthusiasts, value seeking behavior is also ingrained in us.

Quote:
A beefed up Polo for thrice the price will not result in a sweet spot. For that much money, you can get a Polo GT, and a Thar and an RE Cafe Racer to appeal to all your enthusiast tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Just for an understanding, Jazz petrol was priced at 6.9lks in its first innings and failed miserably. Today, Swift & I20 sell like hot cakes when they are price at over 7lks !!
But will you buy a 200hp I20 for 20 Lakhs? A new car from a different (higher) brand vs an existing car that's got more power are two different things.
Old 14th July 2015, 21:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Nice try!

In which case it makes business sense for VW to import it as CBU.
Exactly, even I agree of this. For us the size of the car does matter when it is getting closer to the 10L bracket. Anyone would think of owning a sedan for any car worth more than 8L on road in India. Though I still feel the hatches in India are overpriced even if they are in the premium category. Guess this car will have takers who have extra moolah to spend and buy them as a style statement or one more possession. General public will definitely think of investing anything in this bracket for a better Sedan or SUV than a Hatchback.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks