Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2015, 11:20   #31
BHPian

Re: Toyota Hiace to make official entry in 2015

Good move by Toyota but I am sure pricing will be on the higher side.

As many have already said, in GCC, more specifically in Oman, its 99% usage is for taxis. These are called "baiza bus". Extremely reliable/robust with individual ac vents for each seat, nice bucket seats, high roof for easy entry-exit, sliding doors etc etc.

Second application is an airconditioned good carrier / closed container / courier service (mainly DHL's) utility vehicles.

Personal usage is very minimal, since people prefer their GMC's and Chevy's over Toyota considering the image of the vehicle.

- No offense to any prospective buyer, but just wanted to highlight the popularity and usage pattern in this part of the world.
arunu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 12:21   #32
BHPian

No doubt Hiace would be one of the best vehicle in the commuter segment.However, I see very little chances of it being priced comparable to Winger.

High initial investment which leads to longer payback period will deter most of the fleet owners from buying it over Winger. Though it will find its place in luxury commuter segment ( 5 star hotels etc.) I see very little chances of it being one of the hits in the commuter segment.
Autolock123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 14:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great point, thanks! They're probably targeting the hotel & hospitality industry with this one. CBU import = negligible import duty due to the EPCG scheme
Thanks for pointing out the Indo-Thai FTA. I think the reduced duties are for CKD commercial vehicles; Toyota will still have to assemble it here. The Isuzu D-Max is also assembled in India itself, off kits imported from Thailand.

Plus, would they do a D-Max and shun the private segment with the HiAce?
DO you think it will be priced at 30-40 lacs? I dont think there is any "luxury" about the HiAce. Even if they bring in the LWB version or the minibus version, it makes sense. the hiace is just a van which can seat 10 folks, with a better finish than Force traveler or Winger.

For the commercial segment, We already have custom body built busses made on the Tourister or Swaraj Mazda Chassis. These busses are taller and can easily seat 10, with individual AC vents for each passenger. Also - the service cost is much lesser, compared to the hiace parts, that might be imported through Thailand.

The only so called things that i see as luxury are touchscreen AVN system and Airbags. I dont think Indian segment is matured enough to care for driver safety (heck - driver might not be even wearing a seatbelt for starters). Alloys would be last on the priority list for companies

I think it will flop here. thoughts ?
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 23:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Saw this KA registered Hiace, with Yellow plates at Mahabalipuram, today evening.
It started grabbing attention, straightaway.
Take a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Hiace to make official entry in 2015-1.jpg  

Toyota Hiace to make official entry in 2015-2.jpg  

Toyota Hiace to make official entry in 2015-3.jpg  

rajeev k is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 19:39   #35
BHPian

This is a good move by Toyota. I have travelled in the Hiace in Manila, Philippines where it is quite a popular vehicle for mass transportation. The seats were comfortable with decent leg space for a people mover. Not sure what the "Luxury" tag refers to here.

I believe any good people mover should work for our country and coming from Toyota with a great brand power. Price will surely be higher than the Innova, but too much north of the top end Innova then we are looking down the barrel.
Nitthari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 16:07   #36
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI reports that the Hiace will be priced upwards of 40 lakhs.

Quote:
After unveiling the Hiace at the Auto Expo last year, Toyota showcased another version of the van at last month's SIAM Bus and Special Vehicle Show in Delhi. Our sister publication Autocar Professional got word from Toyota Kirloskar Motor's senior VP and director of marketing and sales, N Raja, that the Hiace could cost upward of Rs 40 lakh when it launches here.

According to Raja, the Hiace will come fully loaded to our showrooms to justify the steep pricing.

While the Hiace will initially be brought in as a CBU from Japan by mid-2015, it is expected to be locally assembled later in order to cut costs and position it at a more affordable price point. Currently, being a 10-seater, the Hiace can only be registered as a commercial vehicle in India, which is why Toyota's planning on targeting fleet operators.

The Hiace is powered by the same 3.0-litre diesel engine that powers the Fortuner SUV and comes mated to a four-speed automatic transmission. In terms of features, it gets power steering, power windows, audio system with CD and USB compatibility, rear defogger, rear-view camera, ABS and dual front airbags.
Source: Autocar India

Last edited by Eddy : 4th February 2015 at 17:39. Reason: Corrected typo
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 17:29   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Saw this KA registered Hiace, with Yellow plates at Mahabalipuram, today evening.
It started grabbing attention, straightaway.
Take a look.
If I know it correctly, this one is Wipro's. I have seen this many number of times carrying delegates to Wipro offices in Bangalore.

Thanks,
Old 4th February 2015, 20:01   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

A Quick search on zauba reveals that Hiace is imported at around 25 Lakhs. Considering it is a CBU, price seems justified . However even with CKD , if toyota prices it at 40L then it will not be a good move. Knowing Toyota , they dont care about realistic pricing !

https://www.zauba.com/import-toyota-hiace-hs-code.html
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 22:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

If I am going to pay more than 40L I would expect something like this!

But people might still go for one since there is no proper upgrade for Innova, money won't be an issue for many, since most Innova owners are business owners!
Old 2nd March 2015, 15:29   #40
Team-BHP Support

The Toyota HiAce has been spotted testing on the Pune-Bangalore highway. The vehicle is believed to be undergoing ARAI tests.

Toyota Hiace to make official entry in 2015-hiace1.jpg

Toyota Hiace to make official entry in 2015-hiace2.jpg

Toyota Hiace to make official entry in 2015-hiace3.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Source: Motor Octane
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 19:42   #41
BHPian

I know a couple of tour operators in Bangalore who already have a few HiAce in their fleet. I usually see one or two getting serviced at Nandi Toyota, Banaswadi.

The vehicle for sure can be labled Luxury in its segment, when you realise that the next best option is the Force Traveller. The seats are very good, lot of knee room. I hoped on board one on the Nandi shop floor.

But @ 40L seems very overpriced. May be some premium tour operater might pick up few for ferrying VIP Guests. 40L is close to 3 x Innovas!!
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:44   #42
D4D
BHPian

Looks like the sleeping giant is slowly rising from it's slumber. First the new Innova, then the Vios( and Yaris, as people claim) and then the Hiace.

It will make a lot of sense for Indian tour operators as it's the kind of vehicle they want. It has comfort, safety and reliability.

It's one terrific commercial vehicle which does a lot of duty in Thailand. Loved the ride quality of the Hiace in Thai highways.
Old 4th March 2015, 05:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

Some pics of HIACE

New Front-end

Toyota Hiace to make official entry in 2015-hicace11.jpg

Sportier look

Toyota Hiace to make official entry in 2015-hiace21.jpg

Wide-bodied, Long wheelbase ( 4 seats at last row, as against 3 seats in normal HIACE )

Toyota Hiace to make official entry in 2015-hiace31.jpg

Silver is the most popular colour for HIACE here in Singapore.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 09:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a registered Toyota Commuter aka HIACE owned by cabsindia. The Commuter is listed on their fleet list.http://www.cabsindia.com/fleets.html
Old 5th March 2015, 15:31   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

To understand how crazy a small segment of the market is about this vehicle, take a look at this ad. The asking price is similar to S-Class of similar vintage!

Source: Shreevas Motors' Facebook Page:
Toyota Hiace to make official entry in 2015-1422417_925280170838736_2660741867086198010_n.jpg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks