Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2015, 17:08   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford launches 'Vehicle Personalisation Center' in Chennai

Ford launches 'Vehicle Personalisation Center' in Chennai-1.jpg

Ford launches 'Vehicle Personalisation Center' in Chennai-2.jpg

Quote:
Ford India has inaugurated a Vehicle Personalisation Centre in Chennai. The company claims that this facility is the first such Ford-operated unit in the Asia Pacific region.

The centre will initially offer personalisation option for the EcoSport only. It is located in the vicinity of Ford's Chennai factory and covers an area of 35,000 square feet. It has 19 modification bays.

To begin with, the Vehicle Personalisation Centre will offer three customization options on the Ford EcoSport.

These include:
- Spare Wheel (Cover) Pack for all EcoSport variants
- Alloys Pack that offers premium quality alloys and rear spoiler for the Ambiente and Trend trims
- Sports Pack that includes rear spoiler, LED scuff plate, roof cross-bar for the Titanium and Titanium (O) trims

The centre will enable customers to get factory-fitted customization options. At the time of booking the EcoSport, customers can simply choose an option pack of their choice and place an order at the dealer. Ford claims that the centre will eliminate the need for dealers to stock vehicle accessories.

Ford plans to expand the personalisation centre’s range of offerings later this year. We hope this paves the way for more comprehensive customisation in the future. Points that could be touched are colours, interiors, audio system, etc.
SOURCE - News

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2015 at 12:44. Reason: Linking to our news
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 17:21   #2
BHPian

re: Ford launches 'Vehicle Personalisation Center' in Chennai

So, what was earlier being done at dealer's showroom will now be done in factory. While it's good but somehow it doesn't do justice to the word 'modification'.

Wouldn't some of these modifications/customisations be susceptible to damage during transportation?
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 17:27   #3
BHPian

aargh! From the headline I thought Ford was giving customers the option to choose whatever features they need from scratch
Coming back to topic, 'first vehicle personalisation center in India'? What about Mahindra's custom division then?
prkiran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 18:04   #4
BHPian

This is silly. I thought we were getting a real option to customize the car at a level which can not be done outside the factory. E.g. Order the car with a beige or black interior, choose color of the seat fabric, choose carpet color and type, etc.

Here the only option is to choose from options that we could easily have been able to get at the dealer level or even outside the dealership.
Old 5th February 2015, 18:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wow, What an achievement, we can finally get alloys of our choice, spare wheel cover, rear spoiler? Too good, I'm sure all the Ford ecosport customers must be thrilled at this news. This really warranted a special section of your factory with a granite plaque, and a lovely photo op. Keep it up Ford. I'm sure your sales are going to skyrocket with these initiatives.
Lalvaz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 18:23   #6
BHPian

Oh! from this title I thought they are going to give customers customization option for everything like interior colour, type of seats and various other features. This is nothing but those accessories people can buy aftermarket. Nothing so special about it.
Old 5th February 2015, 18:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
This really warranted a special section of your factory with a granite plaque, and a lovely photo op.
Slightly off topic but this beats the tradition of ribbon cutting with a giant scissor seen in some other parts of the world!

On a more serious note, hopefully this is just the starting phase of their customisation efforts, and in the future they do indeed give us the option of choosing more than mere accessories.

Last edited by Eddy : 5th February 2015 at 21:05. Reason: Fixing quotes
autonarr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 18:45   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque!! View Post
This is silly. I thought we were getting a real option to customize the car at a level which can not be done outside the factory. E.g. Order the car with a beige or black interior, choose color of the seat fabric, choose carpet color and type, etc.
Notice the keywords in the article:

Quote:
To begin with, the Vehicle Personalisation Centre will offer three customisation options on a new Ford EcoSport.
The initial offerings include:
I am sure we will get full customisation options on a later date, and that too for all Ford cars. Since this is just the beginning, they might be giving it a "run-in" period before they open all options for the general car-buying public.

I think this was a step taken keeping in mind the new safety laws & ABS/Airbags mandatory directive, due from 2017 onwards. In future, we will definitely have options of getting Airbags+ABS on lower trims (for those keen on safety), or the full SYNC interface on lower/mid trims (for those who love features), etc.

It is an innovative step taken by Ford India in the right direction, and should be commended.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 5th February 2015 at 18:47.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 19:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

And here was wishful me thinking that I could get bi xenons fixed when they open a centre here.
But I guess more will follow in the near future. Good initiative IMO.

Last edited by wilful : 5th February 2015 at 19:18.
Old 5th February 2015, 20:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I think this was a step taken keeping in mind the new safety laws & ABS/Airbags mandatory directive, due from 2017 onwards. In future, we will definitely have options of getting Airbags+ABS on lower trims (for those keen on safety), or the full SYNC interface on lower/mid trims (for those who love features), etc.
If this is indeed how it turns out in the future, then it's a welcome move. It will be really great to be able to choose a base version with airbags and ABS instead of being forced to buy all superfluous features just because I want airbags
JonSnow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 20:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

what ford needs is brand visibility, marketing blitzkrieg and improved showroom response.

And the honchos there seem to do nothing about that.
Old 6th February 2015, 09:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Notice the keywords in the article:

I am sure we will get full customisation options on a later date, and that too for all Ford cars. Since this is just the beginning, they might be giving it a "run-in" period before they open all options for the general car-buying public.
I don't fully agree with you. The level of customizations that I've seen in most cars in the US (dash colour, fabric type and colour, technology package including things like reversing cam with larger display ICE, NAV, heated/ ventilated seats, etc) have to be factory fitted. I don't see how ford will take a normal factory finished car and then undo the dash/ seats, ICE etc. in the personalization center and retrofit with new ones.

So yes, we will see more customizations coming in the future, but they will most likely be only cosmetic or ones that can be done at the dealer level.
torque!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 09:48   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

When I saw the thread title, I got excited. When I saw that they started this with Ecosport, I got really excited. Then when I read the complete report, . I expected a bespoke program (a smaller version) something like Rolls Royce. But this is something that can be done at the dealer. Why drive all the way to the factory for this. If they provide better options, then it's good. Else I dont see any point in this. Give us UK spec alloys, projector headlights, better roof bars and I shall drive all the way to Chennai for the customizations.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 12:17   #14
BHPian

On reading the title, I initially thought customers could get their car performance tuned (ECU remap, dampers, et al), but I realized that the "modifications" are limited to look-and-feel. Or is that also in the pipeline?
Old 6th February 2015, 12:51   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford launches 'Vehicle Personalisation Center' in Chennai

Come on, guys, cut them some slack. I think this is a step in the right direction, if Ford eventually offers better customisation options (interior colours, leather options, wide range of rims & tyres, ICE, sunroof on lower variants etc. etc.).

Hope this initiative gains momentum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Why drive all the way to the factory for this.
You don't have to, this isn't an accessory shop. You can order the customisations at the time of booking your EcoSport.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks