Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2015, 01:09   #31
BHPian

Re: Toyota says "no" to AMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not true. Considering chauffeur salaries are now 10K minimum (13K in Mumbai), I'd say less than 5% of cars in India are chauffeur-driven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
I completely agree on this. I had problems with my left leg and I was considering a driver, but then at 13k per month, that translates to 7,80,000 in 5 years. That is exactly the on road price of my Swift Dzire AT. The other issue is that when you need drivers for an emergency, they are never available. They probably will decide to bunk when you want them most.
Pradeep
Is this really true? I would love to have some statistics on this front, if possible. Here in Kolkata, I find most people being driven around by chauffeurs. The salary is approximately 8K per month. Car and fuel costs are higher than Delhi though.

On a separate note, I subscribe to funding of an NGO called WorldVision to help some under-privileged children. I help children, but there are other schemes too. One of them is sponsoring Rs 7,500/- for driving lesson and license to needy people so that they can earn their livelihood. I suppose being a chauffeur is not a bad job per se. And there must be some demand somehow.

And frankly, only 4.6% of Indian population has a car along with other three luxuries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome...erty-line.html

If the 5% figure given by GTO is true, then about 0.25% of the entire Indian population will have chauffeurs for their cars.

Won't that boil down to just about Tatas, Birlas and Amabanis?

Then, why the big talks of Indian cars and why do the NGO ask money for self-employment to teach a person driving?

I am sorry, if I sound like a radical communist. I am not. I drive around in a car, also have a chauffeur, I was just trying to have a rational view of the stats.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 10:55   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Toyota India is hardly the last word in 'latest technology'. The Etios makes an ordinary 89 BHP from its 1.5L petrol & 68 BHP from its 1.4L diesel. The Fortuner doesn't get even disc brakes at the rear. The Liva, Etios, Innova & Fortuner are 10 year old designs. They recently introduced 'voice commands' in the 2015 Fortuner and it's a disaster to use (refer to our review for more information).
I agree, Toyota does not give the 'best' to Indian customers. I have seen Toyota vehicles in many countries - Dubai, Qatar, SE Asia, some European counties, US etc. The Toyota cars in these countries seem to be getting the 'latest'. Now rewind back to best selling Innova. Just recently they started giving dual air bags as 'standard'. In past only V models had it, no automatic transmission for India, no compact SUV (e.g. RAV 4 equivalent), INR 30L 2x4 AT Fortuner does not have cruise control, etc. Come on TOYOTA you are charging 30L to an Indian customer for automatic and not even giving cruise control, no AT option in diesel Altis (even Vento, Verna have these options). Net-net if you see TOYOTA sales charts in India are soaring high. Why do they then have to 'care' for their Indian customers and treat them special and try to give them the 'latest technology'.

Do not get me wrong, I owned a Toyota Camry for many years and liked every bit of it. Toyota makes good products, but their current products for Indian Customers are far from what they sell in other countries.

Contrary to this look at Honda India, say the CR-V, City or upcoming Jazz, etc., Honda India gives 'almost identical' products to the Indian customers as what they sell in SE Asia or Middle East. This is really very good & appreciated by Indian customers when compared to Toyota India. I am sure others on this forum will have similar observations.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 18th March 2015 at 11:53.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 12:30   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post

Contrary to this look at HONDA India....say the HONDA CR-V, HONDA CITY or upcoming Jaaz etc......Honda India gives 'almost identical' products to the Indian customers as what they sell in SE Asia or Middle East.

Both are on different trajectories.

Toyota provides less features, but their cars are still the most reliable in its class. They price their products at the top of the class and maximise their profits from packaging less stuff inside. The brand is still intact though as people who go ahead and buy these cars don't repent their decision- when the cars keeps going on and on without issues.

Honda provides more features, but products that have less perceived quality. Complaints against the brand for mechanical and fit and finish issues are on the rise. The products are priced at the top of the segment for the features and brand name they command. Brand name though is going down with the number of complaints increasing day by day, and people publicly expressing their unhappiness in choosing a Honda product.

Don't get me wrong- I was one of the first to criticise Toyota here for not providing enough stuff, but I would prefer the Toyota model any day compared to the modern 'Indianised' Honda.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 15:36   #34
BHPian

For any market which is a)Cost sensitive b.) Has heavy urban traffic due to developing infrastructure and c.) Fuel price sensitive, AMT provides a balanced workable solution.

This applies to all emerging markets like India/Indonesia/Latin American contries/some eastern European countries etc.

Looks like emerging markets are still not on high priority for TOYOTA.

Off-track,
Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
I suppose being a chauffeur is not a bad job per se. And there must be some demand somehow.
Yes, It is the commercial sector (inter and intra city buses/cabs/radio taxis/ light to heavy cargo movers etc.) which is generating more jobs for drivers.
Vishal.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 19:53   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Both are on different trajectories.

Honda provides more features, but products that have less perceived quality.

.... I would prefer the Toyota model any day compared to the modern 'Indianised' Honda.
As a person with four Hondas in the family I beg to disagree (Civic, City Mk.III, Amaze, Brio). I have found them very reliable and well made. Also, Honda service beats all others hollow. Cheap and efficient. Recently, I needed a new tail light for my Brio. Cost of the assembly under ₹850+VAT. Also, remember that Indian models of most multi-nationals tend to be more luxury oriented than their counterparts in other countries. Also, all brands incl Toyota compromise on safety features. I expect Toyota to go further here since they are also in the Taxi market. All, our cars are top of the line and there are no safety compromises.
Old 21st March 2015, 19:44   #36
BHPian

Honestly, in a country like our where traffic is absolutely chaotic, AMTs or ATs cars should be the norm really. Even in developed countries where traffic rules are stringent and citizens are much more disciplined, manual transmission cars account for a very small percentage of the total cars sold . Personally for me, manual transmission cars can sometimes get on your nerves when you are stuck in a bumper to bumper traffic.

I sincerely hope in the coming few years, ATs car sales really shoot up in India

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks