Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2015, 01:49   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The ridiculous price hikes of German luxury cars - Mercedes, BMW & Audi

Just for comparative sake:
- in 2004, we picked up the E270 for 47L. No MP3 player, no sunroof, no fully adjustable seats - forget memory!
- in 2008, we picked up the 525D for 51-52L. It came with all the goodies listed above plus a DVD player, 17" tyres and alloys, iDrive, etc.
- In 2011, we picked up the A6 2.0TDi for 55L. It added air suspension, bluetooth, and a few more goodies.

Recently, in the market for a new car, and the prices are by and large the same with a little increase. A lot of this is primarily due to the discounts on offer, which is now common place within months of a new launch. Example:
- An E200 is around 54L, and the E250CDI should be around 58L
- BMW 3 series is back in the 30L range after discounts. In 2011, the A4 was 32-34, as was the E90 320D Dynamic and Highline. Today, the A4 and 320D Prestige with Xenons is roughly a few lakhs more (38L).

However, as rightly pointed out - the base trims have gotten significantly more expensive, but at the same time offer more kit. My friend who picked up the E90 320D CE for 24-25L in 2011 will now have to shell out 35L for the 320D Prestige which now adds xenons, iDrive, and a couple of other features.
This would simply be to make space for the smaller segment - A3/CLA/X1 etc.
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 15:07   #212
BHPian

What's the difference when Maruti or Tata or Toyota add a boot to a hatch back ?

Why should it be any different for marque logos.

It's more than a car ? It's a Mercedes. Very subtle but not spoken about or advertised in india ? Why ? Is it because " the badge will sell " syndrome?

The innova crysta about to be launched has a 137 odd bhp motor with all the bells and wishes or whistles (maybe not for a few) at half the price than this baby which costs upwards of 39 lac smackeroonies (conservative estimate)and additional maintaince package extra to bring home in Mumbai. The last I enquired for this sedan was 4 months back, about 42 odd huh ? I said to myself. The c class was a whopping 47+ on road. Very classy till the time you sit in the back, or front for that matter and the the boot and all the idiosyncrasies that come along with it. Is it that unreliable or is the badge I don't know haven't owned one, preventive maintenance package runs on 2.5 to 5+ lac range depending on A B C E class, in addition to what you and I pay for the car. It's the same with AUDI AND BMW. Bavarians are better than M . Audi is a Volkswagen, skoda in india anyone? I love the new superb, will I book one ? Not a chance in hell.

What did I get? well it's a Camry hybrid. Peace, quite, reliable, and the fact that I like the most, it makes you forget it exists and yet delivers when you need it every time. A rare case of brain over heart on team bhp. Do I regret it, not one bit but now I digress pardon me.

Coming back to the Mercedes cla sedan, I implore you please visit the showroom see what it has to offer other than the three pointed star. Can you jump into it and drive off into the sunset, narry a care? And range now thats another sensitive topic and Iam not a advocate of kitna deti hai.
Sparks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 17:14   #213
BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz imports CLA facelift for homologation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
What's the difference when Maruti or Tata or Toyota add a boot to a hatch back ?

It's more than a car ? It's a Mercedes. Very subtle but not spoken about or advertised in india ? Why ? Is it because " the badge will sell " syndrome?

The innova crysta about to be launched has a 137 odd bhp motor with all the bells and wishes or whistles (maybe not for a few) at half the price than this baby which costs upwards of 39 lac smackeroonies (conservative estimate)and additional maintaince package extra to bring home in Mumbai. The last I enquired for this sedan was 4 months back, about 42 odd huh ? I said to myself. The c class was a whopping 47+ on road. Very classy till the time you sit in the back, or front for that matter and the the boot and all the idiosyncrasies that come along with it. Is it that unreliable or is the badge I don't know haven't owned one, preventive maintenance package runs on 2.5 to 5+ lac range depending on A B C E class, in addition to what you and I pay for the car. It's the same with AUDI AND BMW. Bavarians are better than M . Audi is a Volkswagen, skoda in india anyone? I love the new superb, will I book one ? Not a chance in hell.

What did I get? well it's a Camry hybrid. Peace, quite, reliable, and the fact that I like the most, it makes you forget it exists and yet delivers when you need it every time. A rare case of brain over heart on team bhp. Do I regret it, not one bit but now I digress pardon me.

Coming back to the Mercedes cla sedan, I implore you please visit the showroom see what it has to offer other than the three pointed star. Can you jump into it and drive off into the sunset, narry a care? And range now thats another sensitive topic and Iam not a advocate of kitna deti hai.
It is like comparing apples with oranges. It is a complete YMMV thing, to each his own.

In my family, everyone drives, my sister likes cars but she wants a compact one in the city. My mom, she just needs a car that can get her from point A to point B. My dad does like cars as well but he doesn't like to spend too much money on it, so as long it gets the job done with a decent driving experience for the budget he has, makes him happy.

Me on the other hand, I have two versions to the story. I do want to have a fast car which I completely look at 0-100 clock speeds, while on the other hand I do want something that I'm comfortable to drive with on a daily basis. Based on this theory, some people will prefer cars like Vento, Octavia, Superb, 3 Series in their respective segments which are more like an all round performance cars. I drive vehicle for the experience, which is why I prefer to having two cars from which I can get the best of both the worlds. I can never go for a Camry, I think it is too big for one, luxurious and if I were to get something as big, I'd rather go for the new Superb 1.8 TSI Manual, 530d and so on based on the budget that I'm looking at.

The point I'm trying to make is, everyone has their own preferences and needs. Are all the cars getting expensive and especially the German ones being over priced? Absolutely. Doesn't mean that having a choice to chose from is a bad thing.

I hope any of what I just wrote above made sense
Old 15th April 2016, 22:41   #214
BHPian

My post was about what's on offer in return for what's offered by the buyer. A person is free to choose what he or she desires.
Sparks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 19:52   #215
BHPian

Which luxury car is the best value for money?

I've seen multiple discussions on this forum about "Best value for money car" including polls about "Best car in specific segments". However, I've been thinking about something off the track lately.

What luxury car is the best VALUE for MONEY currently? Not the most affordable but something that brings joy to your heart and satisfaction to your pocket?

I've seen people have their heart flutter like the wings of a hummingbird with excitement after finally taking the plunge on that luxury car.

And oddly enough I've seen these same people regretting it shortly after feeling that they murdered their bank account and slaughtered their hard earned cash.

So what do you guys think? Which is that one luxury car that brings a smile to your face and complete satisfaction to your bank account?

Let me start with my pick first. I believe the BMW 320d is pretty darn close to being a luxury car that is the best value for money. May it be the driving dynamics, looks or the amazing discounts BMW has on it. It just makes it a very tempting and a high value package.
Old 27th October 2017, 20:25   #216
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which luxury car is the best value for money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
I've seen multiple discussions on this forum about "Best value for money car" including polls about "Best car in specific segments".

What luxury car is the best VALUE for MONEY currently?
You dont see such a thread because, "Luxury" and "Value for money" do not exactly go hand in hand. Also, luxury is subjective. Its different for different people, depending on their wallet size.

Quote:
I've seen people have their heart flutter like the wings of a hummingbird with excitement after finally taking the plunge on that luxury car.

So what do you guys think? Which is that one luxury car that brings a smile to your face and complete satisfaction to your bank account?

Let me start with my pick first. I believe the BMW 320d is pretty darn close to being a luxury car that is the best value for money. May it be the driving dynamics, looks or the amazing discounts BMW has on it. It just makes it a very tempting and a high value package.
Luxury car segment is what? Probably 5 series? Maybe not.
Probably 7 series/S-class and above?
These guys don't usually flutter as you mentioned. Also, very few of these luxury car owners drive themselves. What they want is luxury, mainly at the back seat. Comfortable reclining seats, heating/cooling, lots of leg space, various types of controls, etc. Frankly, I do not even know what & how they look for in the car. Basically they want to be pampered in the back seat (or in some rate cases, driving seat) till they reach their destination. Very few might actually look at what the driving dynamics are for an S-class or 7-series.
I believe there is a thread here by a bhpian which lists what all was considered in the buying process of an S-class.
I do not think 320d can even be considered as a luxury car, with that cramped rear space.

But as I said, luxury is subjective.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 27th October 2017 at 20:30.
vinit.merchant is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 09:48   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

I picked up a 530i sport line just after the GST regime came in for 49.99 Lacs ex showroom. My first luxury car and I felt exactly as you described. A true luxury car with almost all features you expect, including high class interior, superb comfortable leather seats, lots of gizmos, and best of all amazing acceleration, ride and handling. One could argue about whether it is good value or not till the cows come home, but I think relative to other offerings in the market, it indeed is. Plus you get into a new generation early in its life cycle, and it feels fresh for 6-7 years before the next one comes along.

Post the cess increase, BMW has managed to keep the price tightly reigned in, with an increase of just 2 Lacs compared to competitors in the segment, who raised prices by 3-4 Lacs. I think it still is one of the best VFM propositions out there if your budget is about 60 Lacs.

A 320D, even after all the discounts will set you back by around 45-48 Lacs on road for an equivalent sport line trim. For that, you get a car that is a class lower and almost at the end of its life cycle.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 28th October 2017 at 10:05.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 10:55   #218
BHPian

Re: Which luxury car is the best value for money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Luxury car segment is what? Probably 5 series? Maybe not.
Probably 7 series/S-class and above?
These guys don't usually flutter as you mentioned. Also, very few of these luxury car owners drive themselves. What they want is luxury, mainly at the back seat. Comfortable reclining seats, heating/cooling, lots of leg space, various types of controls, etc. Frankly, I do not even know what & how they look for in the car. Basically they want to be pampered in the back seat (or in some rate cases, driving seat) till they reach their destination. Very few might actually look at what the driving dynamics are for an S-class or 7-series.
I believe there is a thread here by a bhpian which lists what all was considered in the buying process of an S-class.
I do not think 320d can even be considered as a luxury car, with that cramped rear space
Second that. For years I have observed 3/A4/C slotted as luxury. In reality, they are hardly so. Even seen chauffeur driven 3’s in Delhi. Was very amusing indeed.

In my view luxury cars would be an S/7/A8/Range autobiography/XC90 for example. It’s a certain price bracket and level of comfort that would make a car as a luxury car. But it’s mostly intangibles.
Old 29th October 2017, 11:00   #219
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Luxury cars start at S class level and go on to Mayback, Rolls and Bentley. Definitely 3 series is in no way a luxury car, except for its price, but YES it does give you a smile driving it.
Old 29th October 2017, 15:08   #220
BHPian

Well, for some having a four wheeler itself is a luxury and for others anything below S Class is austerity.
While everyone is free to decide for oneself, it's prudent not to burn your bank account to fulfill the dream of a luxury car (whichever it may be).
However at times peer pressure, desire, short life and love for cars, gets the better of us.
Acharya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 15:23   #221
BHPian

I am slightly surprised that people are attaching the term "LUXURY" to so called rear seat comfort, heating/cooling, leg space etc. Sure those thing matter, however, luxury has a much deeper meaning than that.

Luxury is also measured in terms of experience. Feelings. Emotions. Sometimes that has absolutely nothing to do with the usability factor of a car and more to do with the "EXCLUSIVE FEELING" you get sitting in it (I.E badge value also counts).

To the average man the fact that you are driving an Audi, Bmw or a Merc by default makes you seen as someone who owns a "LUXURY CAR". We are a niche crowd I guess and of course the meaning of luxury will be different to the niche crowd Vs the masses.
rahul_jo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 15:59   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
I am slightly surprised that people are attaching the term "LUXURY" to so called rear seat comfort, heating/cooling, leg space etc. Sure those thing matter, however, luxury has a much deeper meaning than that.

Absolutely spot on. Yes in terms of cars we can differentiate a bit on seat comfort, leg space etc.

I would love to see a similar explanation on luxury watches?
Old 29th October 2017, 23:13   #223
BHPian

Here is an interesting read on LUXURY cars. We might have many here who feel that anything below an S class isn't luxurious enough, our government has a different view lol.

Our Govt thinks that cars like the Verna and Elantra are luxury - https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...elated_Stories
Old 31st March 2018, 06:24   #224

It seems that BMW India is preparing for another price hike - https://www.drivespark.com/four-whee...75-025319.html
Old 31st March 2018, 11:05   #225
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
It's more than a car ? It's a Mercedes. Very subtle but not spoken about or .......Iam not a advocate of kitna deti hai.

Adding a boot to a hatch is of course part of the story. The other part is that BMW & M-B continue to offer advanced RWD characteristics to the bulk of their line up - the FWD drive offerings are relatively recent. Also M-B had egg all over their apron when their introductory FWD model (the A-class) turned belly-up in the slalom test - and subsequently (and very hurriedly!) they did some doctoring to salve their bruised ego! But the damage had been done (in the West) to their effort to break into hatch-back territory. Not so in India - where, even in a 2nd-tier city like Lucknow, I see the odd B-class going merrily about its business.

As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, at the end of the day people are still willing to pay for the badge alone! What is daunting is to speculate on the number of buyers who are falling over themselves to lay their hands on that long-coveted badge (even if its on a FWD hatch!) - with the mfr. laughing all the way to the bank!

The same reason why folks - metaphorically - lust after the F-Pace, when sane reason tells them they would be better off with the Fortuner - ruggedness-wise, durability-wise and and peace-of-mind - wise!

Last edited by shashanka : 31st March 2018 at 11:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks