Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2006, 10:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

New base Corolla

Today press carries news that Toyota is planning a 'base' version of corolla to prop up sales, after civic launch (launch month sales 2,441 units - highest in the segment) has really dented them. Going to be priced more than 1 lakh cheaper than current H1.

Mods: If somebody has already posted this, please delete.
Old 25th August 2006, 11:30   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

DO base versions sell that well in the higher segments? I would think not. Egs : OHC 1.3, Innovas, Lancer LXs etc.
Old 25th August 2006, 11:32   #3
BHPian

Here are more details.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/1924297.cms
Old 25th August 2006, 13:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
DO base versions sell that well in the higher segments? I would think not. Egs : OHC 1.3, Innovas, Lancer LXs etc.
That is why I am wondering - why is Toyota adopting such a strategy? Are they targetting taxi trade now? This will make only existing corolla owners unhappy as well as result in sharp drop in re-sale value.
Old 25th August 2006, 13:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Exactly. Toyota is only hurting the resale values of current H1 models in the market. It's great to have the Corolla competing price-wise, but not rational.

Toyota should get it's act together quick and start planning the launch of the next generation Corolla. And speed up it's future plans, like the Fortuner and Aygo/Yaris.

I'm willing to bet that 2007 is going to be a very decisive and tough year for all market players and segments. Not just due to the launches lined up ahead, but also due to the economy factors. Most of the product launches supposed to take place in 06' have been postponed to 07'. No significant launches have taken place so far except the Civic.

I'm guessing Toyota is gearing up it's arsenal for '07.
Old 25th August 2006, 14:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
GMs got some bit of success with their 1.6 Optra Elite, but mainly from buyers looking in the lower mid-size segments.
Old 25th August 2006, 14:50   #7
BHPian

I think it is a bad strategy. Brings down the brand value of the car. Cars are all about image.

However, Corollas do a lot of taxi duty in several parts of the world. In India, though, it is for the well heeled.
Old 25th August 2006, 18:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Right from beginning Honda simply refused to give any more than nominal discount on their cars. Same is true of their current crop as well. And now just look at how well they are doing, irrespctive of the merits of their products. Any aspiring Indian will want Honda or Toyota. But with such move I am sure will tilt scale towards Honda even more. Honda can simply add more goodies (hopefully the 2l engine) to Civic for 2007, increase the price and sell even more.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 25th August 2006 at 18:58.
Old 25th August 2006, 21:23   #9
BHPian

Let it be. Sounds good for the Corolla aspirants! Good to see a competition in this segment!
Old 26th August 2006, 04:53   #10

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

any idea about the exact price of the base model(exshowroom delhi).
Old 26th August 2006, 05:00   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a hunch that Toyota is trying to create a firm price segment for the corolla. By reducing the price, they can launch the Camry locally built at 15 lakhs or so. Thus reducing the price of the corolla will create a reasonable price gap between its big brother.
Looking at the response of the new Camry imported @ 25 lakhs they are bound to create a winner by making it locally.

Last edited by Sahil : 26th August 2006 at 05:02.
Old 26th August 2006, 05:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
Toyota should get it's act together quick and start planning the launch of the next generation Corolla. And speed up it's future plans, like the Fortuner and Aygo/Yaris.
Yes it's high time they did so but the question is when are they going to do it? The Fortuner has been on the plans for forever & even today it doesn't seem anywhere in sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
I'm willing to bet that 2007 is going to be a very decisive and tough year for all market players and segments. Not just due to the launches lined up ahead, but also due to the economy factors. Most of the product launches supposed to take place in 06' have been postponed to 07'. No significant launches have taken place so far except the Civic.

I'm guessing Toyota is gearing up it's arsenal for '07.
Don't know about '07 but as for the new Corolla it's not expected before '08. Mainly because when the Toyota bosses saw the new Civic they scrapped the Corolla under development & asked the designers to start afresh. So the delay is expected to postpone the launch minimum till '08 if not later.
Old 26th August 2006, 15:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Further as per what I read somewhere today, due to serious quality problems and recalls for several of their models, Toyota has extended time for new model launches by 6-9 months to ensure quality does not suffer. Even Honda has had several problems with it's new Civic which are still being resolved in US/Europe as well as in India/Asia. So much touted Toyota/Honda quality is going way of Tata...!?

Then maybe this way is better, lower price of existing models to hold on to market share and brand loyalty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks