Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2015, 12:55   #1
Team-BHP Support

Toyota to build diesel engines in India from 2016

Toyota Kirloskar Motor, the Indian subsidiary of Japanese carmaker Toyota, will start building diesel engines in India from next year. The step is expected to help the company increase localisation in its products to 80%.

In 2012-13, TKM had proposed to Toyota setting up of a plant for manufacturing diesel engines in India as demand for diesel cars was rising. Now, the company is building a new facility at Jigani, located on the outskirts of Bangalore. While trial production at this plant is expected to begin soon, commercial production is slated to begin in early 2016.

The new facility is being set up with an investment of Rs 800 crore at the premises of Kirloskar Toyoda Textile Machinery. It will have an initial annual capacity of 100,000 units and will build engines for the Innova and Fortuner.

Toyota has two car manufacturing facilities in Bidadi, near Bangalore. It also manufactures petrol engines there. The entire land allotted to the company has been used.

Source: Business Standard
Aditya is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 14:07   #2
BHPian

Re: Toyota to build diesel engines in India from 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Toyota Kirloskar Motor, the Indian subsidiary of Japanese carmaker Toyota, will start building diesel engines in India from next year. The step is expected to help the company increase localisation in its products to 80%.

[/url]
I have no confidence it will temper Toyota India's obscenely high prices
Old 15th May 2015, 14:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
I have no confidence it will temper Toyota India's obscenely high prices
I would be grateful if they don't increase the price further, let alone reductions.
Old 15th May 2015, 14:48   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

As far as i know Toyota is planning to start building only 1.4 diesels in India at first.

These small 1.4 Diesels primarily are more important coz they are powering the small cars like the Etios, Liva, upcoming compact SUV, upcoming Vios sedan.

IMO the new gen GD series engines (for Innova, Fortuner) will be implemented for localization at a much later stage.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 15:08   #5
BHPian

Great news for the Make In India campaign of ours! I just hope that this localisation leads to subsequent relief to the people that make India albeit price reductions! But I have a strong feeling that 'The Bully shall not retreat'

Last edited by GTO : 17th May 2015 at 15:06. Reason: Typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks