Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2006, 10:28   #16
BHPian

Bangalore has some cameras installed and working for sometime now..for example , Most of the sigmals in MG road area have them..

If you jump a signal here or change lanes , chances are you will get a challan and notice to the address , at which the car was registered...

Infact the Police in UK have installed thousands of these cameras to prevent speeding and improve safety..

A move in the right direction IMO...
Old 29th August 2006, 14:25   #17
BHPian

In Hyderabad they have planned or implemented in Hi-tech city area. But those called in hi-tech city (software) pros, who are first guys to jump on red signal when no cop present. All of them are educated and most of them visited foreign countries, but coming to local scene, go with flow is the concept. Shame on them.

In Hyderbad, they also tried sending tickets to directly to home when they see culprits. This is done to avoid stopping guys in traffic for smooth flow of traffic. Guess what!, the tickets sent to based on RTO records, 70% of them do not exist at all. If they install cameras also, catching again the guy is tough, based on RTO records. When something is being traied, we should have all backup.

my 2 cents
Old 29th August 2006, 15:57   #18
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
Maybe the song should be modified: Every step you take, every move you make, every breath you take, Big Brother will be watching you...
Makes me uneasy too. But the cameras are a good idea even if they will not work very well in India due to the clumsy bureaucratic delays involved in tracing the offenders from their license plates (especially of vehicles registered in other states). The cameras will have an enormous *deterrent* effect once the drivers know of their presence -- that in itself should greatly reduce the number of offences. The only problem I see is how the police are going to prevent vandalism that is going to take its toll on the cameras -- it is going to be expensive to replace these.

Last edited by rks : 29th August 2006 at 16:00.
Old 29th August 2006, 16:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

these cameras were introduced in chennai quite a long time back, not 6 months as indicated earlier in this thread. they were introduced in 2004 & more were installed earlier this year. but of what use is this ? i am yet to hear of anyone getting fined through this system.

OT : the police in our country work the other way round. they wait in blind corners & pounce on you if you jumped the no free left turn. they let you commit the crime & then catch you, instead of preventing the crime itself by standing in the right place & regulating the traffic.

they go one step further & hinder the free flow of traffic by stopping all the lorries coming into the city & collect bakshish

Last edited by esteem_lover : 29th August 2006 at 16:26.
Old 30th August 2006, 18:57   #20
BHPian

Here are the pics everyone..
First one is at Nana Chowk Junction,near Grant Road Station..
Second one is at Wilson College Junction,Chowpatty.
I guess the first one isn't functional as yet,since the wireless Antenna hasn't been installed on the pole..only the camera and the Zicom Security Box..while the second one is along with the Wireless antenna.

-sr
Old 30th August 2006, 19:18   #21
BHPian

Think of the Devil..

I got a challan / notice today for jumping a redlight in a car which I Sold off 2 years ago !! ( from Enforcement automation centre, bangalore traffic police ) and they say as per " video proof ", date and time mentioned..

The RC book had been transferred there and then I had also informed RTO / insurance the same through registered post...

Old 30th August 2006, 21:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12
I got a challan / notice today for jumping a redlight in a car which I Sold off 2 years ago !! ( from Enforcement automation centre, bangalore traffic police ) and they say as per " video proof ", date and time mentioned..

The RC book had been transferred there and then I had also informed RTO / insurance the same through registered post...

Ha ha that funny........................
Old 1st November 2006, 11:11   #23
BMW
BHPian

Spotted this speed radar with built in still camera (circled in red) on Noida/Mayur Vihar road. The camera is fitted with flash to take pictures of overspeeding cars at night.

The picture quality is not that great due to poor light.
Old 3rd November 2006, 07:15   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW
Spotted this speed radar with built in still camera (circled in red) on Noida/Mayur Vihar road. The camera is fitted with flash to take pictures of overspeeding cars at night.

The picture quality is not that great due to poor light.
looks to me more like a red light camera than a speed camera(there is a pedestrian crossing in front of it).... think its to catch those people whose dun stop at redlight... but i really doubt the efficiency of those cameras... first of all are those cameras really working or juz installed to bluff people... n even if it really works will they be able to catch an offender n charge him in (atleast) a week time???

i think before they go around installing all these things they should look at the roads whether it is really suitable for travelling or not.... even in the cities roads are not being clearly marked, how many of those traffic lights is clearly visible from 50 meter distance... (had a hard time findin those light as people even cling those banners in fornt of a traffic light)have a lot of potholes...

eventhough india is one of the fastest growing country roads are only suitable for those 1900's vehicles...
Old 3rd November 2006, 09:27   #25
BMW
BHPian

Hi chullan_no1,

From what I have experienced, it does not seem to be a red light camera. If a car jumps the red light at low speeds the camera does not flash.

On the other hand, seeing a green light from a distance people tend to accelerate to cross over before the light turns red. If they are below the speed limit fine otherwise the camera flashes.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks