Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2015, 18:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Audi considering A4 and A6 Avant for India

Recently, Audi launched the RS 6 Avant in India at a starting price of Rs. 1.35 crores (link to news article). The move might have confused some people, especially because estate cars in India have never witnessed a favorable response. However, Audi thinks otherwise.

According to a media report, Audi is considering to introduce estate versions of its A4 and A6 sedans in India. According to a survey conducted by them, buyers in India are open to accept different body style of cars.

Estates are generally boxier versions of regular sedans. Due to their shape, they provide additional cargo-carrying capacity. These are very popular in European markets, due to the added practicality they offer over their sedan counterparts. However, in India, none of the estates have managed to make an impression in the past.

While the RS 6 Avant is the 553 BHP, fire-breathing version, with a limited sales target for India, it will be interesting to see how the market responds to the more affordable estates or Avant versions, if and when they come to India.

Rumour: Audi considering A4 and A6 Avant for India-a4-avant.jpg

Rumour: Audi considering A4 and A6 Avant for India-a4-avant1.jpg

Rumour: Audi considering A4 and A6 Avant for India-a6-avant.jpg

Rumour: Audi considering A4 and A6 Avant for India-a6-avant1.jpg

Source: Autocar

Last edited by S2!!! : 9th June 2015 at 18:16.
S2!!! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 21:22   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Audi considering A4 and A6 Avant for India

If Audi is going to introduce the estate version of the A4, it has to be the next gen. The current car is just too outdated.

And I'm not entirely sure if buyers in the luxury market are willing to accept body types other than sedans and SUVs. The B Class for example doesn't seem to have done all that well (rarely see any on the road). That said, there aren't too many other examples, so I guess we have to wait and see.
SS8939 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 22:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Having driven estates on two of my European holidays, I must say they make a lot of sense - personally, would consider one if the premium over a sedan was small. How about the Superb or Passat estate too VW?
Old 9th June 2015, 23:10   #4
BHPian

I don't know about other people's perception but for me an estate 'stands out' from the crowd of sedans and hatchbacks.
These Audi siblings look smashing.
I would love to own one someday!
Skoda Octavia Combi too looks yummy. And oh! The Mercedes' and Jaguar's shooting brakes!
I love estates! Bring them here Audi! And please buy them dear people as I want to see this body shape succeed.
Old 10th June 2015, 09:58   #5
Team-BHP Support

I like estate cars but they have recently lost popularity except in Europe. They are popular in Europe since thay are used for business and leisure as also a strong DIY activity

In the US, most folks have moved to crossovers, SUV's and pick up trucks. You no longer see estate cars from BMW, Mercedes or even maybe Audi on offer
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 13:19   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
And I'm not entirely sure if buyers in the luxury market are willing to accept body types other than sedans and SUVs.
+1. Estates haven't and most likely, never will sell in India. They look ugly (if you like the body style, you are in the minority). The Octavia Combi was as good as an estate can get. It flopped miserably. What makes it worse is that, at the time of resale, you'll find few buyers interested in your car (if at all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I must say they make a lot of sense
SUVs & crossovers can give you the same space / cargo advantage...with more style! It's the reason that station-wagons are a dying breed worldwide.
Old 10th June 2015, 17:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
SUVs & crossovers can give you the same space / cargo advantage...with more style! It's the reason that station-wagons are a dying breed worldwide.
Disagree with you on this GTO. While Style is subjective and based on personal preference, crossovers and SUV provide no benefits over estates in an urban environment where jumping a kerb in a mall is the most extreme activity that our SUVs will encounter. Ofcourse the exceptions are the grown bunch of 4x4 and OTR enthusiasts.

There is no space advantage that a crossover offers as compared to an estate and there are a lot of disadvantages in the ride, handling, fuel economy that crossovers/SUVs have as compared to long roofs.

As the gearhead cliché goes - make mine a brown, diesel long roof with manual gears please.
Asifgrkhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 18:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
+1. Estates haven't and most likely, never will sell in India. They look ugly (if you like the body style, you are in the minority). The Octavia Combi was as good as an estate can get. It flopped miserably. What makes it worse is that, at the time of resale, you'll find few buyers interested in your car (if at all).
Octavia Combi was a beautiful car...just ahead of its time! Consumer preferences have matured in India over the years. Today everyone's jumping on the AT bandwagon, tomorrow may be the triumphant return of the estate!

I like the estate shape honestly and won't mind shelling out for a good one. Maybe not an Audi but a VW for sure!
Old 10th June 2015, 18:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I must say they make a lot of sense - personally, would consider one if the premium over a sedan was small.
Quote:
+1. Estates haven't and most likely, never will sell in India. They look ugly (if you like the body style, you are in the minority). The Octavia Combi was as good as an estate can get. It flopped miserably.
Estates make sense, yes, but only if sense is the sole buying criterion. People oriented towards making a purely sensible decision (while car buying) will surely lean towards estates. It is understood that an estate customer is willing to compromise on style to some extent. But, this type of customer is a minority. Not the one who likes an estate body style.

I don't think a single person will prefer an estate over saloon on styling basis.

Cannot say for other markets, but this is definitely the case in India. Style sells! Take case studies. Biggies and experienced players, Maruti and Tata couldn't manage to create a demand for Baleno Altura and Indigo Marina respectively even when catering to budget segment. But, market is relatively more mature now. Only a new product in this segment will tell.

As for the premium segment, they are at best worth a CBU launch only. Most of the buyers in this segment will easily jump to SUVs for luggage hauling.
Senna4Ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 19:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if estates are a dying breed. They are very common where I am. I do not have any exact statistics, but based on what I see on the roads - for most cars that have an estate variant, I see atleast as many estate variants as sedan variants (if not more).

And it's not for old cars/variants either. I cannot remember seeing a face-lifted Passat sedan, but I have seen quite many estate variants of it. The same goes for the new Ford Mondeo. And the Skoda Octavia sedan is also quite rare compared to the Combi. So much so that I was joking to my wife that getting an Octavia Combi here has been a bit like getting the Swift in India.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 19:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Octavia Combi was a beautiful car...just ahead of its time! Consumer preferences have matured in India over the years. Today everyone's jumping on the AT bandwagon, tomorrow may be the triumphant return of the estate!
Consumer preferences are changing in the country.

Though not station wagons, the BMW 5GT and 3GT offer 'that' much more practicality over the regular sedan versions and people do buy them. So, IMO if the BMW GTs can sell, even the estates from Audi have a good chance of succeeding and opening up gates for more affordable estates in the country. I'm assuming, that was the intent behind launching the RS 6 Avant in the Indian market first - to create a want, make an estate car desirable and eventually introduce the lesser versions in the market.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 20:52   #12
BHPian

The main reason estates will not work in India I believe is because they have a utilitarian aura around them. Of course SUV's also have them but then SUVs are big, brash and in your face, while the estates are the exact opposite.

People who spent 40-70 lakhs on these cars want to be seen as high flying VIPs while driving them or being chauffeured in them, not some quiet reserved bloke who likes to take his dog and furniture along with his family on road trips.

I personally think estates are cool and because I am the sort of guy who doesn't give a hoot about other people's opinions especially when it comes to my choice of cars. My pick would be a Subaru Legacy 3.0 R spec B.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 23:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
I personally think estates are cool and because I am the sort of guy who doesn't give a hoot about other people's opinions especially when it comes to my choice of cars. My pick would be a Subaru Legacy 3.0 R spec B.
I have the same mindset. In fact, estates are uncool in a Clark Kent sort of way - so uncool that it has become super cool.

In the US, it is always a sight to see an E63AMG long roof sliding under the radar until the driver hits the hammer and you hear the sound of God .... shouting from the four exhausts. No saloon will match that in my mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks