Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2015, 10:19   #1
Team-BHP Support

July 30, 2015: Mercedes S-Class Coupe, G63 AMG Crazy Color coming

Mercedes-Benz has announced that it will launch three products on July 30, 2015.
July 30, 2015: Mercedes S-Class Coupe, G63 AMG Crazy Color coming-s-63-amg-coupe.jpg

The first product to be launched will be the S 500 Coupe. Based on the S 500 sedan, this car is a 2-door coupe with a restyled rear end. It is expected to be powered by the same 4,663cc, V8 petrol engine as the sedan. This unit puts out 453 BHP @ 5,250-5,500 rpm and 700 Nm of torque @ 1,800-3,500 rpm and is mated to a 9-speed automatic transmission.

The second product to be launch will be the AMG version of the S-Class Coupe - the S 63 AMG. It is expected to get a 5,461cc, V8 petrol engine that develops 577 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 900 Nm of torque @ 2,200-3,750 rpm. The engine will be mated to a 7-speed automatic gearbox.

The third product to be launched will be the G 63 AMG Crazy Color - a cosmetically enhanced version of the G 63 AMG with bright colours. Mechanically, the Crazy Color is expected to be identical to the standard G 63 AMG.

July 30, 2015: Mercedes S-Class Coupe, G63 AMG Crazy Color coming-g-63-amg.jpg

Mercedes-Benz has already launched six products in the first six months of the year. It plans to launch a total of fifteen products in 2015.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th July 2015 at 10:30.
Aditya is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 10:39   #2
MSC
BHPian

re: July 30, 2015: Mercedes S-Class Coupe, G63 AMG Crazy Color coming

Mercedes seems to be on the roll this year. 6 products already launched in 6 months. Now 3 more. It brings to 9 products in 7 months. Seems Mercedes finally have woken up for challenges from Audi & BMW.
Wondering whether there is something special related to July. Every car manufacturer seems to be gearing up for July.
1. Mercedes had 3 cars in line.
2. Honda had new Jazz.
3. Hyundai has got Creta.
4. Possibly S cross to getting launched this month.
Usually its raining because of monsoons but its raining cars this July.
MSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 11:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more info on the G63 Crazy Color. Source: http://www.topspeed.com/trucks/truck...-ar167532.html

Quote:
If you ever feel as if your Mercedes-Benz G63 or G65 AMG is not unique enough, the German automaker is now offering what it calls the “Crazy Color Edition.” Just as its name suggests, this special edition G-Wagen offers the paint choices like Solar Beam, Sunset Beam, Tomato Red, Galactic Beam, and Alien Beam. Basically, it looks as if someone from Skittles broke into Mercedes’ paint booth.

The special edition is only (thankfully) offered in select countries, with the U.S. no being one. And then there’s the price. While some automakers cars upwards of $2,000 for a specialized paint color with some swanky metallic flake or pearl shimmer, Mercedes is charging more than $17,000 for the option – and that’s just the base color! Opt for the Solar Beam hue and the bill shoots up to $22,880.

So what gives? Well, all Crazy Color Edition G-Wagens come with body-color stitching on the leather seats, dashboard, door panels, and center console, so there’s that. Otherwise, the Cold War-era, solid axle SUV is stock.
Frankly, I don't see why someone would pay nearly 15 lakhs extra for a wacky paint job when you can get a vinyl wrap for 1/10th the price or have it repainted by your MB dealer/specialized paint booth like DC for 1/4th the price. (MB dealer had quoted me 2.5 lakhs to repaint my w222 S-class to a Blue color that is currently not offered. They would do this at delivery itself and also mention it on the RC so no loss in resale for repaint.)

The S coupe is too damn hot! I am glad they are offering the 500 and not just the 63AMG.

I am glad MB is being so proactive and launching new products here but one must note that most of these launches are CBU's, most of which are halo cars to boost brand image more than sales. It doesn't take much setup to launch these cars, put them on a ship, hold a fancy event and the car is launched.
I'd give manufacturers more credit for launching CKD models and increased localization that results in better prices!
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 12:01   #4
Team-BHP Support

Nice to see Merc bringing in all its products to India. The G63s in whacky colours have already been here for a while I think, I recall seeing some pics of yellow and green and red G63s in some import thread.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 13:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I'd give manufacturers more credit for launching CKD models and increased localization that results in better prices!
Considering the minuscule sales numbers that these halo cars will garner, I suppose it's fair for Mercedes to bring them in as CBU's. It makes more sense for MB to go CKD for a model that has better foreseeable sales figures.
Old 7th July 2015, 14:03   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Considering the minuscule sales numbers that these halo cars will garner, I suppose it's fair for Mercedes to bring them in as CBU's. It makes more sense for MB to go CKD for a model that has better foreseeable sales figures.
Yes, of course, these cars can probably never be brought in as CKD and even if they are it will reduce their 'Halo effect' by reducing the exclusivity. However, my point was that they need to increase the CKD launches, production capacity, localization more than CBU launches. Currently the waiting periods on certain CKD models are very high. The CLA is yet only a CBU.

If the GLE launches by Sept-October as planned it will be a great move by MB as deliveries for the same in Germany will begin in August. The cars are likely to justify CKD volumes should be launched in India with as CKD kits within 3 months of international launch, now that would be P-R-O-A-C-T-I-V-E !
Yet, I feel MB is by far the most proactive amongst the Germans followed by Audi. BMW really needs to wake the hell up!
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 14:39   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: July 30, 2015: Mercedes S-Class Coupe, G63 AMG Crazy Color coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
Mercedes seems to be on the roll this year. 6 products already launched in 6 months. Now 3 more. It brings to 9 products in 7 months.
I'm with Sahil here. It's hardly an achievement to launch a CBU in India. Zero investment, one demo car & one press conference, that's it.

Quote:
Wondering whether there is something special related to July. Every car manufacturer seems to be gearing up for July.

Usually its raining because of monsoons but its raining cars this July.
You can say that again. We're having the busiest season ever! In May & June, we've taken 8 reviews live. And there's 4 more lined up in the coming month.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 10:29   #8
BHPian

I don't usually go ape over cars' looks, but the S500 Coupe is one sexy beast!
Old 10th July 2015, 11:03   #9
BHPian

Last of the lot has made it as well! A S500 Coupe has reached the shore.

July 30, 2015: Mercedes S-Class Coupe, G63 AMG Crazy Color coming-untitled4.png

July 30, 2015: Mercedes S-Class Coupe, G63 AMG Crazy Color coming-2015mercedesbenzs500couperearend03.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks