Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2006, 06:38   #1
BANNED

Why cars cost less in Delhi ?

I'm wondering why A-segment cars costs about Rs.20,000 less and the luxury cars are cheaper by lakhs in Delhi. Why this much cost difference when compared to the rest of India ?

Delhi is no longer an Union territory and VAT is also implemented there(I assume so). And the car production factories are mainly concentrated in Tamil Nadu and still cars in Delhi are cheaper when compared to India's "Detroit" !!!

Is it because Delhi Govt. is giving massive subsidies to the citizens to procure cars so that our own Indian Govt. can flaunt our national capital ???

Old 4th September 2006, 09:46   #2
BHPian

The road tax in delhi is less compared to other places,for example car costing less than 4 laks are charged 5000 flat as life tax where as in hyderabad we are paying 9% of the ex-showroom cost that is 36000 as road tax.Like wise the for above 4 laks it is 4% of the ex showroom cost.So for a 10 lak car like Civic the difference 9-4 is 5% so there is a 50% cost difference from the rest of the country.I believe road tax is highest in Maharashtra and Karnataka with Mumbai coming on the tops with Octroi added
Old 4th September 2006, 13:40   #3
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Isn't haryana cheaper ?
Old 4th September 2006, 13:43   #4
kdb
BHPian

yes Haryana is cheaper .. and Chandigarh is cheaper than Haryana too .. Its a fixed amount u need to pay as Registration, road tax , etc.. that makes a 5.0 Lac+ vehicle 20-30K cheaper than delhi!
Old 4th September 2006, 13:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
Isn't haryana cheaper ?
Very much so......the road tax is still a fixed amount and not a percentage of the car price as in Delhi
Old 4th September 2006, 15:05   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb
yes Haryana is cheaper .. and Chandigarh is cheaper than Haryana too .. Its a fixed amount u need to pay as Registration, road tax , etc.. that makes a 5.0 Lac+ vehicle 20-30K cheaper than delhi!
what is the on road price of Swift LXI in chandigarh,here in hyderabad it is 4.54laks.
Old 4th September 2006, 19:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yup no place like Mahara****ra to get ripped on buying a new car and then be given mine fields for roads to drive on. Especially in Bombay with the added octroi component.
Old 5th September 2006, 00:47   #8

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

but who decides the road tax and why is it different for different states.my guess is that in the other states,since the infrastructure is state funded,the funds are low and hence road tax is higher to compensate for that.in case of delhi,its funded by the centre,hence it has more funds.
its a shot in the dark.these are only guesses on my part so feel free to comment.
Old 5th September 2006, 10:08   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Is Delhi the cheapest? And Bangalore the most expensive?
Old 5th September 2006, 10:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Is Delhi the cheapest? And Bangalore the most expensive?
Well, at the moment Haryana on-road prices are cheaper than Delhi, at least for Ford & Tata vehicles (the ones I've bought or checked out of late)....the road tax is the killer in Delhi
Old 5th September 2006, 14:23   #11
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
And Bangalore the most expensive?
i think mumbai is the most expensive with octroi also here
Old 5th September 2006, 23:16   #12

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

are you sure that haryana is the cheapest,i thought punjab was the cheapest.
though i also think himachal pradesh has the cheapest taxes,the reason why icml has opened a plant there for manufacturing the rhino.
Old 6th September 2006, 01:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
are you sure that haryana is the cheapest,i thought punjab was the cheapest.
though i also think himachal pradesh has the cheapest taxes,the reason why icml has opened a plant there for manufacturing the rhino.
Opening a plant usually has no co-relation to the on-road cost of the vehicle. If that was true no companies would have their manufacturing plants in Maharasthra. Opening a plant depends on various factors like Infrastructure, Tax benefits, Investment benefits etc. ICML has opened a plant in HP mainly beacuse of the tax-sops & other benefits being offered by the state.

And I think the cheapest state is still either HP/Punjab or Haryana. UP & Delhi used to be cheap but now they have moved on to a percentage system for calculation of taxes and thus have become much more expensive.
Old 6th September 2006, 05:16   #14
BANNED

Quote:
my guess is that in the other states,since the infrastructure is state funded,the funds are low and hence road tax is higher to compensate for that.in case of delhi,its funded by the centre,hence it has more funds.
But Delhi is a state and it has it's own legislative assembly for governance!!!
Old 6th September 2006, 18:14   #15
BHPian

It's becasue all states which have higher road tax, wanted the rich people to pay for taxes.
So, they taxed cars heavily then they hit them with road tax.

Bingo, you have an expensive car.

Last but the least the fuel surcharge. So your petorl is also expensive. Simple...

Different ways to rip people off their money.

I don't think delhi have center funding it. It has its own funds etc. Operates like any other state.

Last but not the least there are no subsidies, It's just other states are ripping us off our money.

Ciao
Samy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks