Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2015, 14:18   #31
BANNED

re: Maruti’s response to NCAP Tests: Alto Onam Edition? Nope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
It is an unfortunate state of things - but it is the truth - people are not aware of safety. The NCAP videos did have a good impact on some people I showed it to, and they changed their purchase decisions based on that . But then zero impact on others I showed it to.
In India, only below 10% of people own a car, but a big percentage of middle class people using bikes (with husband, wife, kids traveling in it). A car itself is a safety for most of them.

By introducing all the safety features and pushing the price of cars to a very high level (even a Rs 50K increase is very high for the middle class), you are actually denying them the safety they "feel" and get by owning a car - even if it is for one more year (by delaying the car purchase by one year to collect the extra amount).

So, my suggestion - make the safety features optionally available in all models starting from base. Those who can afford it or insist for it, buy it.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 26th August 2015 at 14:34.
Old 26th August 2015, 15:18   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
In India, only below 10% of people own a car, but a big percentage of middle class people using bikes (with husband, wife, kids traveling in it). A car itself is a safety for most of them.

By introducing all the safety features and pushing the price of cars to a very high level (even a Rs 50K increase is very high for the middle class), you are actually denying them the safety they "feel" and get by owning a car - even if it is for one more year (by delaying the car purchase by one year to collect the extra amount).

So, my suggestion - make the safety features optionally available in all models starting from base. Those who can afford it or insist for it, buy it.
Agree with your post but the problem creeps in because most of the buyers do not *know* that how unsafe their car actually is. In a way, they are living with a false sense of security only because they are driving a car and not a two wheeler. You can see numerous unsafe cars on the highways driven at triple digit speeds due to this feeling of security.

Only when the masses are educated about safety levels offered by different cars, they will know the difference and probably make a wiser choice.

Now the problem is who will educate the buyers? Banking on the auto manufacturers for it will not take us anywhere. In fact, auto makers are making hay while the sun is shining, aka; the buyers are uneducated. Once the buyers are educated, costs are certain to rise and the auto makers are going to lose some customers under a certain cut-off. Hence, the lobby ensures that the buyers remain uneducated and safety is not mandated!

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 17:43   #33
BHPian

Haldiram Swift indeed!

But to put things in perspective, this is a country where a pothole kills a child and nothing really changes (http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/48645337.cms)

Even if we ignore the above, did the government do anything to put a few skywalks across the busiest roads near highly populated areas in Bengalore that people have been demanding for ages?

It took Ralph Nader ( "The Safe Car You Can't Buy" and "Unsafe at any Speed") many years to change the US Automobile industry. It will take us many more given the attitude we have towards human lives.

And safety is much more than just having ABS and Airbags. Do we have good roads, safe drivers, a responsive emergency service,...

Yes, I'd like to save my life and my co-passengers' and I too will have to look at the ROI given financial constraints and the probability of being killed or injured by other factors on the road beyond my control.

This is a country where the most reputed electronics manufacturer simply subcontracts the manufacture of some of its very widely used products with almost no safety features and with heat sinks omitted to save a few paisa, while putting up specs of sophisticated versions of the same products unavailable in the market. "We are like this only"?

We definitely need to move towards better safety legislation and get rid of that "Chalta Hai" & "Jugaad" attitude.

But a business opportunity presents itself here - WHY NOT REIMPORT THE EXPORT QUALITY "CERTIFIED" Swift and sell it to enthusiasts and "safety freaks". Maruti SEXA Anyone??
Old 27th August 2015, 08:57   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post

But a business opportunity presents itself here - WHY NOT REIMPORT THE EXPORT QUALITY "CERTIFIED" Swift and sell it to enthusiasts and "safety freaks". Maruti SEXA Anyone??
Please don't be surprised if Nexa showrooms are filled by these in near future
sampat.sahoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 23:15   #35

To the guys who say cars are safer than bikes well I bet Bajaj brakes fine at 120 kmph but guess what a celerio failed a brake test at 120 kmph!!! Autocar UK had to use the hand brake to stop the car. And guess what Suzuki gave them a 2nd car and even that car failed the test!!! So let's face it. All the entry level cars in India are as unsafe to be in as a bike. It just takes a small hit n game over.

So yeah let them charge more for safety than sell a death trap and give a false sense of security. Even the new s-cross till now has no ISOFIX. Why single out maruti and not the others you ask? Because they are selling the most unsafe cars in the world and yet people still buy them because of some lousy stickers and neither you nor I nor any of the lousy TV show hosts can stop them. The others are not better but at least some of them have a car or 2 in their line up that is safe
Old 28th August 2015, 08:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

Standard disclaimer: I am not against incorporating more safety features in cars or pro/against a particular car maker.

How many of us can truthfully say that each time we have used our car we have ensured all the occupants have their seatbelts fastened?
How many of us ha e fastened our seatbelts each time we have sat in a company cab or taxi? How many of us have refused to get into a car without working seatbelts?

The point I am highlighting is, if we as a nation refuse to use the most basic and arguably the best safety device of our car,the one that is freely available in each car sold in India, what benefit will it be if we get all safety devices incorporated in each car by making it mandatory?
I am sure most of us know this fact. Only your seatbelt is called an active safety device. All other devices like airbags are called as supplementary safety devices, meaning if your seatbelt isn't fastened the airbags will not work.
If each of us promise to belt up and ensure all occupants of our car are belted up, even an Alto can and will save lives.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 09:16   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
That pushing the price to a very high level comes into play when safety is treated as a luxury. If it's a mandatory requirement to be in business, it become a standard playing field and no manufacturer will look to charge a premium for those features. For example, nobody highlight seat-belts are a premium feature and charge a premium for that; its just expected to be there in every car sold. Same can happen with ABS, Airbags and the likes.
Old 29th August 2015, 07:50   #38
BANNED

Re: Maruti’s response to NCAP Tests: Alto Onam Edition? Nope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That pushing the price to a very high level comes into play when safety is treated as a luxury. If it's a mandatory requirement to be in business, it become a standard playing field and no manufacturer will look to charge a premium for those features. For example, nobody highlight seat-belts are a premium feature and charge a premium for that; its just expected to be there in every car sold. Same can happen with ABS, Airbags and the likes.
But do the seatbelts cost nothing to the manufacturer? Aren't they charging that cost from customers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks