Team-BHP - Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/167406-honda-br-v-brio-based-suv-2.html)

LOL - this is like using photoshop to create a new car from existing cars!

Front: City / Jazz as the cars need to look "cool"
Side: Mobilio as it's already made
Interior: City / Jazz... but wait - there are a lot of steering wheels left from unsold Mobilio's so just use a mix and match of parts to finish old parts!
Rear: Put together the above and then do a "rafoo" on the rear to complete the car!

It's not working for me. It's a Mobilo from the side - at best it can be called a jacked up Mobilo or a Mobilo Cross. Overall a very lazy attempt from Honda and they deserve to be punished for this effort which I hope the Indian market will. Seems to be like Honda is following a policy of 'minimum effort maximum returns' with their cars specially the made for emerging market ones - even the new City was a lazy attempt. Really sad to see manufacturer's trying to take the easy way out.

If I was Hyundai, I wouldn't be worried over this at all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by avdhesh15 (Post 3783434)
LOL - this is like using photoshop to create a new car from existing cars!

Front: City / Jazz as the cars need to look "cool"
Side: Mobilio as it's already made
Interior: City / Jazz... but wait - there are a lot of steering wheels left from unsold Mobilio's so just use a mix and match of parts to finish old parts!
Rear: Put together the above and then do a "rafoo" on the rear to complete the car!

Well, this is what most companies are doing today, not just in India. It cost tons of of cash in investment, tooling, spares inventory etc to create new designs and parts, not to forget the other aspects associated with a completely new design. Also models need to adhere to the family look and resemble the siblings. :D

Not sounding like a Honda fan boy, but its so easy for us to wish and whimper, at least they made an effort to address this segment quickly unlike other big manufacturers. Its the fastest growing class now and is very crucial for India. We are yet to see anything concrete from Toyota, VW, Chevy in this segment.

Rear three-quarters has an uncanny resemblance to Mobilio, but this one does look ugly.
Side-profile as mentioned by others earlier is more Station Wagon than SUV.

I did notice that there will be a huge blind spot created by A-pillar - similar to that of the Ecosport.

I'm not going to expect any miracles in Honda's pricing!

Following is the press release from Honda

Quote:

The Honda BR-V Prototype officially made its world debut at the GAIKINDO Indonesia International Auto Show (GIIAS) 2015. This new generation crossover utility vehicle features the combination of an SUV appearance and handling and great utility and the spacious cabin of an MPV. Powered by a 1.5 liter i-VTEC engine with either a new 6-speed manual transmission or a continuously variable transmission (CVT), it enhances both driving performance and fuel economy.

The much-awaited Honda BR-V is scheduled to be marketed first in Indonesia in early 2016, followed by other countries.

The World Premiere of the Honda BR-V Prototype was presented at the Honda Booth by Noriaki Abe, Chief Operating Officer for Regional Operation (Asia and Oceania) of Honda Motor Co., Ltd., together with Kusnade Budiman, President Comissioner of PT Honda Prospect Motor (HPM), and Tomoki Uchida, President Director of PT Honda Prospect Motor.

“Honda started business in Indonesia in 1971, and the importance of this country for Honda’s auto business has been increasing year by year,” Abe mentioned in his remarks. “With the all-new 7-seat BR-V and the rest of the Honda line-up, we will continue to offer exciting products and the joy of driving to our customers in Indonesia.”

Meanwhile, Uchida said, “Honda BR-V was developed to fulfill the needs of Indonesian customers. We believe Honda BR-V will be greatly received by customers in Indonesia and become the main attraction in this year’s motor show.”

Honda BR-V will be marketed in Indonesia with a price range from Rp. 230 to 265 million, and the booking will start from GIIAS onward. The production of Honda BR-V will start at HPM’s Karawang factory in January 2016.

Key features
The Exterior
*High ground clearance
*Big roof rails for all grades
*LED connected tail light design in C-character
*New 16 inch aluminum wheels

The Interior
*Class-leading spacious and comfortable cabin with additional knee room and head room
*Advanced features such as Multi-Information Display
*Rear air conditioner between the first and second row seats to expand air flow to all areas

Engine and Transmission
*4-Cylinder 1.5-liter i-VTEC engine
*120 horsepower @ 6,600 rpm and maximum torque of 145 Nm @ 4,600 rpm.
*New 6-speed Manual Transmission
*Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) under Honda’s “Earth Dreams Technology”

Safety
*Dual and Front SRS airbag
*Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD)
*Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA)
*Hill Start Assist (HSA)
*Front 3-Point Load Limiters with Pretensioner ELR Seat Belt and ISOFIX
The pricing of Rp. 230 to 265 million translates to INR 10.85 lacs to 12.50 lacs.

Following is a video from launch. The front for some reason resembles Tata Safari Storme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wibupdMZpBY

More pics are out, courtesy Paul Tan. You can make out 3 rows of seats in the last one:

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvpremiereindonesia57850x567.jpg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvpremiereindonesia59850x567.jpg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvpremiereindonesia61850x567.jpg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvpremiereindonesia47850x567.jpg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvpremiereindonesia48850x567.jpg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvpremiereindonesia26850x567.jpg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvpremiereindonesia110850x567.jpg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvpremiereindonesia40850x567.jpg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvpremiereindonesia43850x567.jpg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvpremiereindonesia41850x567.jpg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvpremiereindonesia42850x567.jpg

Paul Tan's Blog

That side profile just confirms this is nothing but a Mobilio. But that's no bad thing. They have definitely managed to reduce the MPV bulk of the Mobilio. The Mobilio was never a bad looking MPV.

The biggest grouse of the Mobilio was the cheap Brio dash board. That too has been addressed with the interiors matching the City. Much needed and welcome upgrade.

If this can seat 7 in similar comfort to the Mobilio then Honda has a big trump card. Couple that with the 1.5L i-VTEC engine and the 1.5L i-DTEC they have a perfect engine combo as well.

Looking at the similarities to the Mobilio, similar level of cost cutting is to be expected. That will be acceptable if Honda are targetting aggressive pricing.

The 1.5L diesel is nowhere as good as the Creta 1.6L CRDI though the petrol is close. With that I would expect the pricing to be on par with the S-cross DDiS 200 maximum 1 lakh more. Any more and this will go the Mobilio way.

Oh my god that rear end :Shockked:
I am sure a lot of people just visited a Hyundai dealer and booked a Creta !

The only good thing to come out of this could be Honda pricing it aggressively (a lot cheaper than the Creta).

It might have well been the next gen Mobilio! There's hardly anything to differentiate the Mobilio and the BR-V! Both have 7 seats, will share a lot of parts including engine, so what's the big differentiator apart from the souped up looks? Couldn't Honda have planned anything like a en ecosport? Just a 5 seater compact cross over under 4m. They could have priced it in the same range as the Mobilio or even slightly lesser and they could have had 4 completely different products based on the brio platform! I'm somehow convinced that the Indian customer will see thru the product! The Mobilio isn't doing great thanks to its pricing being higher than the ertiga. So if this ends up on the 12 lakh plus side there are going to be a lot of comparisons with the XUVs, Dusters and Creta.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3783640)
The 1.5L diesel is nowhere as good as the Creta 1.6L CRDI though the petrol is close. With that I would expect the pricing to be on par with the S-cross DDiS 200 maximum 1 lakh more. Any more and this will go the Mobilio way.

Agree with you that BRV = Mobilio + SUV stying + better interiors. IMO - this vehicle has a lot better chance of success than the Mobilio. As you say - the interiors do make a huge difference here. Also Indians love SUVs way better than MUVs, except for may be the eternal Innova

However, your pricing is a bit off IMHO. Mobilio itself is priced from 8.56L for the bare bones E version to 11.13L ex-showroom for the V(O) in bangalore. If we consider the RS(O) it moves upto 12.26L ex-showroom bangalore.

S-Cross 1.3 Sigma is priced from 8.7L ex-showroom Bangalore for the 1.3 Sigma to 11.18L for the 1.3 Alpha. As you know, S-Cross is more feature loaded across variants compared to the Mobilio. Mobilio is priced higher than the S-Cross 1.3, consider the feature deficit.

Considering this, I would expect BRV to be priced between 9.9L ex-showroom Bangalore for the E variant 13.5L ex-bangalore for the V(O) and 14.5L ex-showroom Bangalore for the RS variants.

Okay...so basically the idea was :

1. Mobilio isn't working. Probable reason? The interiors and the front resemblance to way cheaper Brio.
2. Let's butch up the front. Slap some chrome overdose. 3rd world countries love it.lol:
3. Mix and match(whatever possible within budget) some interiors from Jazz(Dash)/Brio bin(steering), so that its not entirely similar to either of the cars and we can call it an all new interior.
4. Hyndai calls Creta a perfect SUV. We will call this a Premium/Some heavy term-SUV as we are "HONDA" and price it higher than city?

Is it just me or you all think HONDA is stretching this Brio-platform card way too much and loosing the aspirational value it once enjoyed with the fantastic V-tec? :deadhorse

I wont be surprised if they price it above CRETA as this has 7 seats. All in all its more of a facelifted Mobilio for me, than a new car. Really dissapointed. Never the less, if I need a petrol 7 seater for family roundabouts, this will make sense if sticker price is anything under 11/12L ex-showroom with curtain+front airbags & ABS.

P.S : Although not a big fan of the slant H, I believe Hyundai should get a pat on the back for going the other way. Their cars are actually getting better by the day and slowly but steadily they will enjoy the similar aspirational value that HONDA once enjoyed.

This is a pathetic effort from Honda.
It's very clear that Honda's R&D team which worked for the BR-V is terrible (I guess it's based out of Thailand/Indonesia).

The sooner they understand that the Brio platform is not working the better, at least in India.

The rear of the car looks worse than Mobilio. The interiors though have been worked upon seem terrible as all the different elements looks out of sync - looks like a jugaad.
This product should fail so that they stop introducing such products in the market. I am not a fan of Creta but if I would have to choose a car in that segment I would simply choose the Creta.

Someone tell Honda to get the Vezel to India..please . that's total drool stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 3783838)
However, your pricing is a bit off IMHO. Mobilio itself is priced from 8.56L for the bare bones E version to 11.13L ex-showroom for the V(O) in bangalore. If we consider the RS(O) it moves upto 12.26L ex-showroom bangalore.

S-Cross 1.3 Sigma is priced from 8.7L ex-showroom Bangalore for the 1.3 Sigma to 11.18L for the 1.3 Alpha. As you know, S-Cross is more feature loaded across variants compared to the Mobilio. Mobilio is priced higher than the S-Cross 1.3, consider the feature deficit.

Considering this, I would expect BRV to be priced between 9.9L ex-showroom Bangalore for the E variant 13.5L ex-bangalore for the V(O) and 14.5L ex-showroom Bangalore for the RS variants.

My pricing estimate was more in tune with Honda's pricing strategy at the moment.

Actually when the Mobilio was launched everyone thought it was overpriced which it still actually is. But now with the S-cross and Creta it doesn't look as ridiculously priced as before.

My estimated pricing was based on the fact that the features deficit will come down vs the Mobilio. Secondly I would rate the 1.5L i-VTEC petrol from the City very highly. Even the 1.5L i-DTEC engine though poor on NVH is a decent performer and I am hoping Honda realise their mistake and fit in the 6 speed box rather than the 5 speed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3783893)
My pricing estimate was more in tune with Honda's pricing strategy at the moment.

But that presents them with a list of problems-

1. Pricing the SUV along with the MUV Mobilio will completely kill whatever remaining chances Mobilio has at success.

2. A 7 seater SUV priced cheaper than the City. That's again a threat to their segment flagship.

3. Honda still maintains a premium pricing strategy with maximum profits. Amaze, Mobilio, City, Jazz etc are all priced at a premium over competition. I doubt Honda would change that trend for BRV alone.

4. With 7 seats, the "most fuel efficient SUV tag" which they can claim with the 1.5 iDTec, this 'SUV' has much better product desirability when compared against the MUV Mobilio. Indian market is crazy for SUVs. They should be able to price it above City / Mobilio and still have a decent chance of success- provided the interiors and build quality is acceptable, unlike Mobilio.

5. You are expecting Honda to add a lot more over Mobilio- better looks, better interiors, better features, 6 speed gearbox etc with minimal price increase. Unfortunately - doesn't happen that way. Even crossover version of hatchbacks are priced approx 1L above. I expect 1.5L differential for this Mobilio cross.

As much as I hate to say this- I think they have a good chance of success with the BRV at the prices I've mentioned. Anyways, only time can tell. :D

Slight resemblance to the Mobilio/Amaze/Brio may not be that apparent to a layman. What will work against it is the shoddy build and premium pricing for a brand that's not premium at all.