Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2015, 08:57   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Rumour: VW to use new MQB A0 platform for emerging markets

VW betting big on emerging markets like India - creates a New platform. The NEW VENTO will be the first on this platform

Quote:
The new platform is internally called 'Emerging Market MQB A0'. The goal is to churn out as many cars as possible for the entire VW Group such as Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Audi and Skoda in the shortest possible time to take on competition actively, without major investment subsequently.
Rumour: VW to use new MQB A0 platform for emerging markets-48662288.jpg
The first model on the MQB A0 is likely to be the Vento NF - or Nach Folger, which means successor in German - planned for 2018-19.
Eventually, all the models sold in India (Polo, Vento, Fabia, Rapid and a few utility vehicles) would move to this modern architecture, giving the company flexibility.

Quote:
The plan is to take production to 1.5 lakh in 2016, with a new Indian compact sedan hitting the market in the festival season of next year to bridge the product action plan before the MQB cars get produced.
Its manufacturing line at Chakan in Maharashtra is expected to be expanded to accommodate the new car.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...cture/48662285

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th August 2015 at 09:03.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 10:43   #2
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen India: The Way Forward

Seeing the new models on the anvil, I do not think VW is gunning for mass market. Except for the compact sedan, all of them are high end products. All of them will probably be priced around 25 lakhs.
The new Beetle would compete the likes of Mini Cooper etc, Passat anyway is positioned above Jetta which is already touching 25L OTR, and Tiguan will be comparable to Skoda Yeti and priced in similar way.
The compact sedan, which would be a chopped off version of Vento according to many experts, looks somewhat similar to what Mahindra had attempted with Verito Vibe, though these are not official images. If so, it would be a half hearted attempt, and may not be perceived well with the buyers.
Old 25th August 2015, 11:29   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen India: The Way Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Seeing the new models on the anvil, I do not think VW is gunning for mass market. Except for the compact sedan, all of them are high end products. All of them will probably be priced around 25 lakhs.
The models listed there - Vento and below, are indeed mass-market IMO.
I am not sure if it's a good move from an overall product quality point of view, but definitely should help in competitive pricing when compared with the Japanese and Koreans.
Old 27th August 2015, 12:02   #4
Team-BHP Support

re: Rumour: VW to use new MQB A0 platform for emerging markets

VW betting big on emerging markets like India - creates a New platform.

Posts moved to a new thread.
Old 27th August 2015, 13:41   #5
BHPian

Re: Rumour: VW to use new MQB A0 platform for emerging markets

They seem to be going the Maruti & Honda route for Indian market. I expect they will bring a compact sedan first followed by a hatchback. Same platform will have a compact SUV/Crossover and possibly a MUV.

Ironically VW are leaders in platform sharing globally.
Old 27th August 2015, 13:52   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
I expect they will bring a compact sedan first followed by a hatchback.
I believe the compact sedan will be built on the existing platform.

The products like the all NEW VENTO, NEW POLO, SUV/CUV's for cost sensitive markets will be built on the MQB platform modified for emerging markets.
The changes expected would be to the tune of accommodating the current range of engines like the 1.5 TDI which is already localized.

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th August 2015 at 13:54.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 13:54   #7
BHPian

I wonder if that's corporate euphemism for making their cars cheaper by compromising on build and material quality?

I think this VW going the MS & Hyundai way in India but then looking at their sales chart with current strategy, I can hardly blame them

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

The products like the all NEW VENTO, NEW POLO, SUV/CUV's for cost sensitive markets will be built on the MQB platform modified for emerging markets.
Old 27th August 2015, 16:40   #8
BHPian

Do you guys think this would bring down the build quality of cars for e.g Polo and Vento ? would this be similar to what happened to Honda City . The model before ANHC had very good build quality and then it is coming down with the current version having build quality issues . Current build quality of Vento and Polo is very good , would MQB A0 platform comprise build quality ?
Old 30th August 2015, 03:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
I wonder if that's corporate euphemism for making their cars cheaper by compromising on build and material quality?
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Do you guys think this would bring down the build quality of cars for e.g Polo and Vento ? would this be similar to what happened to Honda City . The model before ANHC had very good build quality and then it is coming down with the current version having build quality issues . Current build quality of Vento and Polo is very good , would MQB A0 platform comprise build quality ?
The floor construction of all current cars based on the MQB platform, like the new Octavia, utilizes high-strength steel and aluminium which makes the structure lighter compared to conventional materials but also much more expensive. The idea behind this approach is to reduce weight and in turn reduce emissions to comply with the strict emissions norms in European countries. Vehicle tax rates there are based on CO2 emissions. The lower the emissions, the lower the vehicle tax.

In emerging markets like India, emission norms aren’t that stern. Thus, VW is looking at reducing costs by developing the lower cost MQB A0 platform. Expensive materials like high strength steel and aluminium will be replaced by conventional materials which, though heavier, are much cheaper. The MQB A0 is said to be a hybrid of the modern MQB platform and the older PQ platform. The PQ platform is currently used in the Polo, Vento, Rapid, Jetta, Yeti and Superb. Safety and build quality was never an issue in the PQ chassis. Thus, I don’t think there will be any compromise on those fronts.
Old 30th August 2015, 10:41   #10
BHPian

A0. I think the numbering scheme itself says a lot about what to expect from VW.
It's probably going to be a cut down version in terms of size, cost and quality.

Then again, maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Old 11th July 2016, 15:10   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen lays out its 2016- 2020 strategy, explains the modular too kit across brands.

Rumour: VW to use new MQB A0 platform for emerging markets-v1.jpg
Rumour: VW to use new MQB A0 platform for emerging markets-v2.jpg

link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed