Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2015, 02:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Supreme Court says NHAI can't collect toll on bad roads

The stretch between Vellore and Chennai is absolutely pathetic, and to top it off you need to pay a 45+45 rupee toll to cover this stretch. Full of undulations and patches! Hope they fix it soon or stop toll collections till they do so. Its a shame that this section exist on the GQ, that too on a important leg between Bangalore and Chennai.
anand.shankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 03:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

@anand...

Arent they constructing a 3rd lane either way. Is that a reason for the delay in fixing the other two lanes?

Been last when there was two lanes and the third was in progress.
Old 29th August 2015, 08:56   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
. The 26 km stretch between Raipur and Durg in Chhattisgarh was inspected upon the order of the court.
However, the new rate would be 20% of the earlier amount.
Source: Times of India
No wonder.
I was pleasantly surprised when they asked me for Rs 10 only where it was Rs 24 earlier on this stretch.
Good move by the SC.
Hope it sends a message to all and we start getting what we pay for.
Old 29th August 2015, 09:30   #19
BHPian

It would be great if the Supreme Court also passes a ruling that there should be an alternate road, either good or bad, for those who wish to avoid paying toll.

BIAL road is one such road where you dont have an alternative except to pay the high toll. Well, there was an alternate road but it is rendered useless by blocking it forcing people to pay toll.
Old 29th August 2015, 10:09   #20
BHPian

The problem of charging toll taxes on ill maintained highways, has an altogether different fallout somewhere else also i.e on the toll free roads. Now as it is the truckers who are biggest financial losers by way of paying tolls, so off late they have devised a very novel way of avoid it. What they have started doing is to avoid the toll roads whenever possible, instead of plying on main highways they take detours to the narrow link roads and state highways passing through the villages and small towns in the countryside. All this has lead to absolute deterioration of roads these areas, causing untold misery to the local populace. Hope the apex court's decision will come as relief for them.
Old 29th August 2015, 13:37   #21
Team-BHP Support

In a recent talk delivered by an eminent Senior Counsel of the Apex Court, Mr. Nariman, it was illustrated by him that the only hope this Country has, is in its Judiciary. He is not far from the truth! It's rather sad that the Judiciary, time and again, steps in and attemps to undo the abject apathy displayed by the Government towards the citizens. These are matters that shouldn't require judicial intervention and yet, we see precedents being laid down. Social media has played a crucial role in this regard, With nearly every road, street and pathway being documented on the Forum, I must say that Team BHP can be a potential catalyst in speedening-up the process of reform and review, in so far as motorvehicle matters are concerned.

Let's do our bit and make public, the discrepancies we often face while we enjoy the rustic Indian countryside.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 13:54   #22
Team-BHP Support

Where and how do we raise this? The Surjapur toll near Dalkola collects Rs. 95 [to & fro] for absolutely bad roads for past ~3 years. I did complain to NHAI & PMO but no avail.
Old 31st August 2015, 00:43   #23
BANNED

I don't think honorable courts have thought through this one.
Many states have cess on sales tax or surcharges which are ostensibly for infrastructure building or garbage collection.
Quoting this case as a precedent everybody can now refuse to pay the cess whatever as the promised Singapore roads and garbage collection has not been implemented.
hangover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 07:56   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... The court has also said that there is a need to penalize overloaded heavy vehicles, which are a main cause of roads suffering damage.
If babudom can just come up with effective implementation and imposing proportional penalty for overloading.

I believe that this single step will improve highways and roads tremendously.

I do not have any issue with paying toll as long as the road is good and allows for safer and faster travel.

Though unjust enrichment by allowing operators to levy toll on highways while work under progress is deplorable. Previous regime's decision on NH8 in this regard is an example of crony loot and scoot.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 10:34   #25
BHPian

Definitely a good move by our honorable supreme court. SC had to finally intervene else situation would have got even more worse as the following is already happening at many places around country.

Toll rates are still being collected even after the contract period is over. If one questions about the same, they would have to face the wrath of the so called "collection agents" standing in front of the car and blocking the way till you pay.

Also, I always wonder about us paying toll tax (or toll rates whatever we want to call it) on top of what we pay at the time of purchase of a new car (called as Road Tax - Lifetime). Shouldn't that take care of toll taxes?

I was also reading the same article on another website. Please find the link below.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...-toll-tax.html

Anyways, I am hopeful that with honorable SC stepping in we should have these questions answered sooner or later.

Cheers!
Old 31st August 2015, 10:39   #26
BHPian

Biggest confusion how to define bad road v/s good road & who certifies it?

Other question I have is how long they will continue to collect toll. 2 years back I used to pay ~250-300 Rs toll fee for 350 KM between Bangalore - Haveri. Now its increased to 400+ Rs. Road conditions between Durga and Haveri is not bad but not well maintained like Tumkur -Durga.

Is there a time limit when these would be transferred to Govt. We pay so much in taxes while buying car, filling fuel, maintaining the car and all of this is paid through already tax deducted money.

Is there an end to this ?
Old 31st August 2015, 11:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Its a good move simply because the toll operators have been swindling the system for years. Pathetic roads, too many tolls (sometimes in violation of the NHAI rules itself), no toll free alternative road, concessionaire period extensions without open tendering, etc... are all rampant in this industry. Sad that the judiciary has to step in to rectify the shortcomings of the government, but I'm glad that people are finally beginning to question these crooks and are going to courts to enforce their rights. Increased awareness about ones rights and the willingness to call their bluff is the only way this menace can be tackled in the long run.

I'm waiting for the day the Mumbai Entry Point toll is challenged in the courts. That's such a huge scam that its not even funny.
Old 31st August 2015, 14:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
So, does this mean that Government will be bound to remove the toll booths from roads which are not in good condition? If so, a great move and if not, I am not sure if I will fight with those Toll both thugs(Often owned/controlled by some powerful Government's official relatives) if I did not find the roads good enough to deserve toll charges. I will still prefer paying the toll, over getting into a mess specially if I have my family with me.
This is why we need right to bear arms in India. Otherwise, be willing to crush our spirit against such mobsters.
Old 31st August 2015, 15:40   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Although NICE road does not come under the jurisdiction of the NHAI, the Supreme Court should definitely ask NICE authorities to stop collecting toll on that road.

Agreed that the road is a boon for bypassing Bengaluru City, but the road condition off late is truly terrible - patchy, bumpy, uneven, now small potholes, not even lit up, absence of road markings and poor sign boards , the toll amount collected for all this is way too high.

120 rupees for a 35 km stretch between BG Road (Gottigere) and Tumkur Road on that kind of pathetic roads is daylight robbery.
+1 that!

When it rains, the road lane markers are just not visible. Quality of roads should not just be measured by potholes but also presence of either lights or reflectors, especially along curves. Further roads should have sufficient signage too, and toilets, etc.. Tolls should cover all aspects!

More importantly, there should be a Road Quality measure (if there isnt one already) that is comprehensive, referencible and such that a Supreme court too can refer asking for penalties if it falls below an expected level of quality.

As Indians we should raise our expectations that a good road is not just about being free of potholes

OK! I am being exuberant...blame it on the Supreme court order.
dhuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 15:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

A lot of questions remain.

Who decides which road is good and fit to be charged toll? How frequently and extensively will this be reviewed? Can the citizens report bad stretches of tolled roads?

Also, I believe PPP is a good way to build quality roads. However, not sure how well it has worked in India. Most of the tolled roads are not maintained and in many cases roads under construction are tolled.

In any case, I believe there should be an alternative road, for those who do not wish to pay toll atleast between important towns. I feel it is a bit unfair that the only road between two towns ends up being a paid road to travel.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks