Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2015, 17:17   #1
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class launched in India at Rs. 58.90 lakh

Pricing looks competitive - they will eat BMW sales from both X3 & X5 , this kind of aggressive pricing will surely put pressure on Audi when they launch Q7 and we can expect better discounts on X5 soon

New nomenclature for the GLE (M-Class to GLE): carries the DNA of the G-Class

• The GLE is the highest selling SUV for Mercedes-Benz globally as well in India with 1.6 million units of production run globally | 6,100 plus units sold in India till date

• The GLE is launched in the 350 d and the 250 d variants, and owing to its overwhelming demand will be locally produced in India from its launch

• GLE blends on-road with off-road performance: 9G-TRONIC nine-speed automatic transmission with DIRECT SELECT lever | AIRMATIC package with air suspension | 4MATIC permanent All-Wheel-Drive System | Downhill Speed Regulation (DSR)

• DYNAMIC SELECT: Driver can choose five different modes - Comfort, Sport, Slippery, Individual and Off-road

• Convenience redefined: Memory Package, COMAND Online with New Generation Telematics | Touchpad, Parking Package with 360°Camera, Easy Pack Tailgate, Thermotronic (3 Zone) climate control, Keyless GO Start/Stop

• Best in class safety assistance features: ESP® with Curve Dynamic Assist, Crosswind Assist, Brake Assistance System, Attention Assist, Active Parking Assist, PRE-SAFE®, 6 airbags

• The GLE 250 d is priced at INR 58.90 lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi)

• The GLE 350 d is priced at INR 69.90 lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi)

http://www.mercedes-benz.co.in/conte...Press_Releases
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Standard equipment.pdf (142.3 KB, 905 views)

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th October 2015 at 17:24.
Turbanator is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 18:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class launched in India at Rs. 58.90 lakh

Here are some images from the launch event.

Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class launched in India at Rs. 58.90 lakh-gle.jpg

Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class launched in India at Rs. 58.90 lakh-gle2.jpg

Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class launched in India at Rs. 58.90 lakh-gle3.jpg

Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class launched in India at Rs. 58.90 lakh-gle4.jpg

Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class launched in India at Rs. 58.90 lakh-gle5.jpg
Aditya is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 22:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

What's with Mercedes not giving memory seats on lower models, I don't get how something so basic can be skipped. They did it on the s350d now on the gle250d too. Ridiculous!
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 23:16   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mercedes not giving memory seats on lower models, I don't get how something so basic can be skipped.
If I recollect correctly , steering column is adjustable electrically in models equipped with memory seats only and on others its manual so there are some more expenses involved apart from memory seats in this kind of setup .

I understand your unique situation but trust me this is not a very big feature to miss - even if Car remembers your last best position - somehow our body wants different positions at different point of time like when I am fresh in morning I sit more upright and higher and in evening i prefer little laid back

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th October 2015 at 23:18.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 02:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If I recollect correctly , steering column is adjustable electrically in models equipped with memory seats only and on others its manual so there are some more expenses involved apart from memory seats in this kind of setup .

I understand your unique situation but trust me this is not a very big feature to miss - even if Car remembers your last best position - somehow our body wants different positions at different point of time like when I am fresh in morning I sit more upright and higher and in evening i prefer little laid back
:
Steering column in my S is electric. I would be fuming if that was manual.

Trust me, you don't know what you are missing until it's gone The changes you speak of are minor. You might slightly upright or recline your seat during the course of the day. However, it is a painful readjustment when I have to adjust the seat to my normal height after my 5ft tall driver has used it. I have to first move the seat back, then recline it back, then height, then steering distance and finally my favourite thigh support. Not to forget, the rear view mirror also need to be set. Further there is lumbar support as well as side cushion adjustment to hold you tight or not, however I usually skip these adjustment to save time but if I had memory seats I would use it more often. It could take 45 seconds to a minute to get everything perfect each time. I go through this pretty much everyday once. Collectively, I waste approx 30 mins a month over this nuisance! It is painful and feels primitive when you have spent well over a crore for "the world best car"
Heck, they have memory seats at the back not only for the rear seat but also for the passenger seat in the front to be adjusted from the rear with memory to give you extra comfort at the back.
Whoever at MBIL decided on skipping this vital feature needs a high five, on the face, with a chair!!

Last edited by Sahil : 15th October 2015 at 02:46.
Sahil is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 03:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Any news about the GLE Coupe? Seeing how the X6 sells here, I think they should have launched it alongside the regular GLE.
Maybe they will launch it soon with the AMG version.
Old 15th October 2015, 11:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

On road price for the 250D Hits the 72 lakhs mark with the 350D crossing the 90 lakh mark Here in Mumbai, I guess 250D makes more sense,Will be even sweet if there are discounts going around, Surely an awesome contender for my next SUV upgrade.
Old 15th October 2015, 12:56   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Definitely well-priced compared to the competition. That small diesel though will become wheezy if you put any kind of demand on it. Don't agree with the idea of a small 4-cylinder in such a big SUV.

See a lot of Mercedes SUVs on the road. The only other brand with such presence (among SUVs) is Audi. I think the XC90 will get away with a higher price due to its freshness & styling, but only for a while.

Speaking of pricing, the Prado is internationally cheaper than the GLE-Class. In India, thanks to Toyota's inexplicable, ridiculous CBU strategy, the Prado costs 1.2 crores on the road.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 13:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

If only Toyota made the LCPrado available in India as CKD or let's say 75% localization. It would be like the mongoose amongst snakes. Big weighty German cars should have atleast 3.5 ltr engine whether turbo or no turbo. Else the engine loses ooomph after 40K and develops all manner of issues like timing chain, sludge buildup, losing some electronic or other and starts to build up on repair bills and becomes burden on owner.

Apart from ownership cost these are cars that easily cost 1 lakh/annum to insure and avg of 50K on service. Surprises in medium-term and long-term can be nasty in this segment.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 13:51   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Speaking of pricing, the Prado is internationally cheaper than the GLE-Class. In India, thanks to Toyota's inexplicable, ridiculous CBU strategy, the Prado costs 1.2 crores on the road.
Considering it uses the same Fortuner engine and is also similar architecture - why not?
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 14:07   #11
Team-BHP Support

Not sure how that equates with X3 on pricing - I'm guessing the X3 should be a bit cheaper but not sure by how much. But that's a lot of car for relatively sensible money (it feels a 1/2 a size bigger than the X3). I can't understand how they have gone completely nuts on C & E class pricing and yet managed to remain somewhat sane on the GLE.

All said and done, there's a class that all Mercs ooze that's just head and shoulders above its competing Audi and BMW counterparts in each segment.
Old 15th October 2015, 14:31   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Don't agree with the idea of a small 4-cylinder in such a big SUV.
Agreed - had a test drive of XC90 - no doubts that engine is quiet and pulls effortlessly but comes nowhere to the kick that I get in my X6 I think with this kind of pricing and freshness of interior / exterior - Volvo XC90 will have even tougher chances then BMW , being CBU they can not pass discounts like Beemer .

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th October 2015 at 14:32.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 17:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

The small diesel in an SUV leads to higher fuel consumption, if you watch the carbuyer UK test of the Q7, Discovery and XC90, the Volvo has higher fuel consumption with a lethargic engine, the 3 litre Q7 is the leader in the pack. Volvo's push for 4 cylinder diesels is because they can't do any better.

I think the GLE250d is adequate for most buyers, it is the most popular version around, the 10 lakh plus differential will put off a lot of buyers, the margins on the 250 must be better, with the local assembly of the engine.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 23:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes just launched the AMG Sport version of the GLE internationally. This should be a better proposition for our market too.
Source: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11510151...ealed-with-367
The AMG Sport line is to Mercedes like the S cars are to Audi. A little more approachable than the full blown RS/AMG cars.
Old 7th April 2016, 05:21   #15
BHPian

Following the 250d and 350d diesel variants, Mercedes now evidently plans to launch a petrol variant as well, the GLE 400.

Attachment 1494721

The GLE 400 boasts of a 3.0 L V6 biturbo engine capable of 333 HP @5,250-6,000 RPM and 480 Nm of torque @1,600-4,000 RPM. Power is delivered via the 7G-TRONIC gearbox. Car is capable of doing the 0-100 km/hr run in 6.1 seconds.

Expected to be launched in the 'Exclusive' trim.

Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class launched in India at Rs. 58.90 lakh-capture2.jpg

Image:mercedes-phumyhung.com
Senna4Ever is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks