Team-BHP - Maruti Suzuki launches Ciaz RS at Rs. 9.20 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Maruti Suzuki launches Ciaz RS at Rs. 9.20 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/169416-maruti-suzuki-launches-ciaz-rs-rs-9-20-lakh-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasi@8689 (Post 3829355)
Being an auto enthusiasts forum, it is understandable that we get disappointed on seeing such namesake RS versions. But i feel we are being a bit harsh in calling MS all kinds of names etc. Plonking a fully imported block like 1.6 might not be practically feasible as it would increase price by a couple of lakhs or so, even if MS decides to price it super sensibly. Then, there might be some more additional costs on upgraded brakes, suspension and other components to handle all that extra power and weight. Frankly speaking, what would be the sales potential of such high priced variant next to a normal 1.3 ciaz? Can we really blame MS for not putting such extra efforts when the sales potential is so doubtful. This atleast is looking good with skirting and all and i believe a good number of customers might be tempted to go for it by paying a bit extra. Coming to the RS tag, latest that comes to my mind is mobilio RS and we all know what it is.

+1 to that. Being automobile enthusiasts, hearing RS does increase our expectations a lot! And since we know MS has 1.6 under their hold, we would immediately raise our expectations further.

But looking at the technical side of it, 1.6 engine inside a car initially designed for 1.3, will certainly demand large changes in the design of almost everything, BIW, Chassis systems, transmission, leading to a complete model change, and not to forget the costs! And this does not happen every now and then.

I personally liked the Swift RS version minus the overly done graphics, why ? Because it was something better than the usual swift we see on road. If I have to buy Swift, I'll look forward to get RS, not because its Rally Sports, but something different which looks sportier as compared to normal Swift.

RS is just used as a marketing tool to sell the car among enthusiasts on budget. I agree the label should have been different, but minus the performance, they have at least made the Ciaz sportier (mildly)

Already IMO, Ciaz had good interiors, but all black interiors with addition of knick knacks must have made it more premium, or maybe sportier!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 3829473)
Such extreme reactions on the thread! :eek:

It's a special edition which has toned down body kit, a spoiler and black interiors. I don't see much wrong with the product other than the fact that Maruti has used the RS badge.

But I don't see the same sarcasm when Honda is selling a regular variant of the Mobilio people carrier as the RS. And Hyundai selling low end variants of their cars as Sportz.

And we don't see this sarcasm translating to enthusiasm either. And the ones that actually sell performance variants have little market share, even on the forum.

At the end of the day, one does have to look at the practicality. One would not buy an Abarth when it is to be used for regular travel to job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theredliner (Post 3829513)
Agreed. This one doesn't look half as bad as the Swift variants that Maruti keeps churning out. If at all I was in the market for a new Ciaz, I'd buy this one just for the all black interiors.

+1

Excellent Job Maruti.
So now that you have already launched the RS (I knew it as Rally Sport earlier not sure what this means though) why don't we give a good heart to it. Plonk your latest 1.6 to it and keep it as the Ciaz RS version top of the line. Yes it will come with a price but I think if the product is priced and tuned properly there will be people willing to spend that extra bucks.

Shouldn't have bothered with the body kit. The black dash interiors as an option on the top end variants should have been enough. I'm sure there will be takers just for the black interiors. Not everyone these days is a fan of beige and the Ciaz is pretty much sea of beige.

The black looks a lot more upmarket and actually makes the Ciaz cabin fell more premium than the beige.

On the other hand the bulky side skirt and massive spoiler just ruin it.

Not that i like this car, but Cmon maruti, calling it an RS, atleast provide some sporty alloy wheels. These alloys are the same ones found in the regular ciaz and I detest those. I'm sure there would be more buyers if you had provided some good alloys. All maruti's come with such poor alloy designs worst of them being the Scross and the Baleno.

Atleast the mobilio RS provides a gorgeous set of alloys.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Relax guys. It's just a lame attempt from Maruti to garner some sales during the festive season. Only to give an extra brownie point in form of a spoiler to customers sitting on the fence to decide between Ciaz and other models.

Deep down, even Maruti knows what they are offering in disguise of RS and don't mind if a small bunch of enthusiast criticizing them until they have their cash register ringing. So let's be calm and wait for Abarth Punto. :thumbs up

On one hand, I feel sorry for Maruti-Suzuki being bashed by fellow forum members for this launch. After all, this is one of the better efforts from the company compared to the contraptions dished out previously where vinyl stickers and in-your-face shades were offered with 'limited edition' badges slapped on. The Ciaz RS atleast has a sporty black cabin and decent body kit with the spoiler being the only spoiler, pun intended.

On the other hand, I feel we are right to blame Maruti-Suzuki here for not offering more power and a sportier suspension setup in the so-called RS. Of all, Maruti-Suzuki and Hyundai are the manufacturers that are best-placed to nurture niche segments in India with experimental models. Even if it fails, these two companies have volumes and revenue to offset the losses and walk away. Here again, I guess the only concern holding them back from doing that would be the car-buying Indian public. How many 1.6 S variants could Ford sell? Weren't they forced to stop the variant altogether despite the fact that it was the best car of its time for an enthusiast this side of INR 20 Lakhs.

This is the Ciaz I would buy. Nice black interiors and snug fitting body kit. And thank God for the lack of decals.

I would just lose the bulky boot lid spoiler, rear under body spoiler and the RS badge. The rear of the Ciaz is too busy already and this just adds to the clutter. The rest of it looks good.

And stupid of MSIL to not include the pics of the biggest change, the black interiors, in the press release photos.

Does this get SHVS?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 3829473)
And we don't see this sarcasm translating to enthusiasm either. And the ones that actually sell performance variants have little market share, even on the forum.

Very well said. agree:

The only problem is with the variant name: RS. I do remember a few rumors floating around that Ciaz will be launched with bigger diesel engine in future and all, even when some spy shots of this car came out, people were left guessing.

We would complain less if the variant was named something else (exclusiv ? :uncontrol), but those who know what the tag RS entitles do feel a little cheated here (same applies for Mobilio RS)
Maruti should launch the 1.6 version, I have no doubts that it will be a hit, remember the fluidic Verna 1.6 sold more than the 1.4 avatar when it was selling well.

Coming to the car, it definitely doesn't look bad although I feel the wheels could have been different, something that goes with the sportier stance that the plastic mouldings provide.

The "RS" moniker alludes to really special, sporty versions to us enthusiasts. Hence, the outcry about Maruti using the RS badge on the Ciaz RS edition. There isn't anything even remotely sporty about the way it drives.

On the other hand, if we can get over what we feel is the inappropriate use of the RS badge, I think the body kit and interiors really lift the Ciaz's looks. I think it looks swell. If I were in the market for a C-segment sedan, I would be sorely tempted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arindam_Nayek (Post 3829597)
Plonk your latest 1.6 to it and keep it as the Ciaz RS version top of the line. Yes it will come with a price but I think if the product is priced and tuned properly there will be people willing to spend that extra bucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiInJa (Post 3829809)
The only problem is with the variant name: RS. I do remember a few rumors floating around that Ciaz will be launched with bigger diesel engine in future and all, even when some spy shots of this car came out, people were left guessing.

Maruti should launch the 1.6 version, I have no doubts that it will be a hit, remember the fluidic Verna 1.6 sold more than the 1.4 avatar when it was selling well.

Maruti is not a fool. Even if they were contemplating a 1.6 DDIS earlier, I am sure they would have scrapped the plan by now. And the reason is quite simple, right in front of our eyes. How many of the S-Cross 1.6 DDIS were they able to sell? Hell, it has a lakh discount running on it already.

Saying that they should plonk the 1.6 is one thing, actually buying it is a thing of exact inverse proportion.
We all say that so and so should bring in a sportier engine, and then we all go and buy the lesser one.

I agree with 1.6 S-Cross not selling but isn't it an established fact that it was way overpriced, otherwise how else could one justify the massive discount even before the festive season.
As they said, Honda killed 1st-gen Jazz within 15 mins of its launch and ended up helping i20 which was just selling average, Maruti did it for Creta.

WRT Mobilio RS, no one is actually bothered and its going the Aria way which itself went the Ist gen Jazz way. Pricing Disaster and fading away from public memory so fast.

Now if Maruti did it intentionally, I definitely would like to know.

Coming soon to the Nexa showroom near you...

Omni RS
Because 796 cc is all the engine you need for Rally Sports. Did we say it comes with a whole new spoiler and black interiors?

S-Cross GTO
Watch this Racing optimized Grand Tourer unleash the fury from its all powerful 1248cc DDIS engine. If you need more power (why would you ?!), you can buy an even bigger 1.6L engine by selling us your Kidney.

And don't worry if you miss these amazing limited editions. We have Glory, Stingray, Mackeral and Skunk editions on the works. You should see the exhaust on the last one. :uncontrol

Looks like, what ever Maruti/Suzuki got right with its small cars is working terribly wrong with its so called premium offerings.

Indian customers have tasted the 'RS' moniker long back (read that as the Octavia and Lauras of yester years) and to stick a RS badge on the butt of 'average joe' car like the Ciaz is just plain stupid.

Does Maruti still think we Indians would go for just the badge without ever understanding whats the game all about?? And, look at the timing!! When folks are drooling over the Abarth twins, here comes a car that's neither looker nor a performer! :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinit.merchant (Post 3829927)
Maruti is not a fool. Even if they were contemplating a 1.6 DDIS earlier, I am sure they would have scrapped the plan by now. And the reason is quite simple, right in front of our eyes. How many of the S-Cross 1.6 DDIS were they able to sell? Hell, it has a lakh discount running on it already.

Saying that they should plonk the 1.6 is one thing, actually buying it is a thing of exact inverse proportion.
We all say that so and so should bring in a sportier engine, and then we all go and buy the lesser one.

We should not dare to think the strategies of the Leading car manufacturer foolish do we. But being said that would you be able to justify the prices of Scross 1.6 ?? Many of us here could not. :)

We all do mistakes in our life and we learn from them isn't it. Ciaz is a beautiful looking vehicle with practical options for the common man.
What if I want Maruti's reliability on a Volkswagen Vento (Just an example, Don't shoot me for writing this). Since they have tried the 1.6 Engine on Scross they can give it a try on the Ciaz too. (My Wishlist for a powerful sedan)

:OTHave one more suggestion for Maruti, they have already done a blunder with the Scross (Now that discounts have already started coming in within 6 Months of the launch) why don't you re-badge it as SHVS, reduce the price sensibly and Re-Capture the market.

As someone mentioned, here are the pics of all-black interiors. Looks very classy indeed.

Pic source : Ciaz Official site