Team-BHP - Surprises in OD Car satisfaction survey
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Surprises in OD Car satisfaction survey (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/16967-surprises-od-car-satisfaction-survey.html)

Picked up my Sept issue of OD today. They have the results of car satisfaction survey . Elantra was rated as no 2 overall but what takes the cake was that Tata Safari owners seem to be more satisfied with their ride than Qualis and Honda City owners.

Looks like sales numbers don't seem to have postive corelation with the satisfaction ratings. That is sorta counter intuitive. What do you guys think ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondadude
Picked up my Sept issue of OD today. They have the results of car satisfaction survey . Elantra was rated as no 2 overall but what takes the cake was that Tata Safari owners seem to be more satisfied with their ride than Qualis and Honda City owners.

Looks like sales numbers don't seem to have postive corelation with the satisfaction ratings. That is sorta counter intuitive. What do you guys think ?

yeah, i read that too, mercedes had the 1st place in that, so you know how they arrived at that. the lesser people buy a vehicle, the more satisfied they would be. the more the car is sold the percentages also increase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondadude
Elantra was rated as no 2 overall but what takes the cake was that Tata Safari owners seem to be more satisfied with their ride than Qualis and Honda City owners.

A couple of reasons, I can think of:
1. Honda and Toyota owners expect an absolute trouble free vehicle and even the slightest problem makes them dissatisfied. Safari on the other hand, has a reputation of being problematic and when it doesn't have too many problems, people are happy about it. I think its a matter of setting low expectations and then overperforming.
2. The reputation of not being a trouble free vehicle prevents people from buying a Safari. Bad reputation lasts longer! Therefore, low sales figure.
3. Safari is usually owned by people who are kind of fans. Fans usually are easier to please when compared to users.

Surprise Surprise....

OD declares Honda CR-V as # 1 based on .....hold your breath 15 responses (The lowest of the lot). What sort of crap is this ? For one thing I know for sure there will be serious doubt whether the owners are being honest in their response.....No one wants to put their big buck car down.

regards
Bullfrog

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover
yeah, i read that too, mercedes had the 1st place in that, so you know how they arrived at that. the lesser people buy a vehicle, the more satisfied they would be. the more the car is sold the percentages also increase.

Merc was no 1 in the manufacturers list. In cars, it was CRV. Innova was the only car in top 5 (3rd actually) which sell more than a few thousand every month. Zen was no 32 and I always thought that Zen owners loved their cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Surprise Surprise....

OD declares Honda CR-V as # 1 based on .....hold your breath 15 responses (The lowest of the lot). What sort of crap is this ? For one thing I know for sure there will be serious doubt whether the owners are being honest in their response.....No one wants to put their big buck car down.

regards
Bullfrog

I wish that people doing these kind of surveys knew a bit of statistics and importance of sample size.

and if I recall correctly, the Elantra has been voted as the best handler of the lot .. ahead of the Accord, CR-V, Corolla etc ..

how many of team bhp members participated in this survey or how many knew that a survey like this was underway.what was the criteria for selecting people for the survey.

In this year's JD Power Satisfaction Study, I've seen Skodas in #1 position !!!!

All these surveys are absolute crap, and should be taken with a huge pinch of salt. The reliability of the study can be gauged from the very obvious inconsistent rankings.

For Mercedes : They had ALL of 15 owners. Wow, 15 owners decide that Mercedes is no.1! Have they missed research Class 101? I can understand small sample sizes, but only 15 to represent over 20000+ Merc owners in India? rl:

Perhaps its their imagination thats on Overdrive.

Only objective surveys, like JDs problems/100 vehicles surveys make sense.
Others are too much swayed by personal preferences and the demographics of the population under survey.
Thats the reason Tata stays near rock bottom in such surveys and honda/hyundai/maruti are class leaders, inspite of them selling the largest number of vehicles.

The only thing that i have surprises with the survey of this nature is how can you directly compare a Merc with a M800. Merc is atleast 10 times more expensive than M800. I sincerely feel that the survey should have been based on category like Small, Medium, Luxury, Sedans etc. That would have helped all of us understand things better.

I also see that M Omni and M800 have been topping the list from the bottom :-), well thats not new, comparing it with Alto, Xing, Xeta would make sense, but not against Safari.

Its quite true too as pointed out by others above, that the lesser vehicles being sold, will result is lesser troubles being pointed out to the public. I fell that this survey does not good in the rating and its not really a helpful one.

One must also realize that if one is paying 2Lakhs for a car, you really cannot expect it to have comfort of 100%. Its a compromise that you do. I have travelled in a safari, an Indigo/Indicar and also Alto and M800/Omni, Its actually unfair to compare Safari with Indigo becasue they are two separate natures!!!! and the cost of the safari nearly double of that of the Indicar. So can comfort be equated!!

It's just like Kapil Dev saying Palmolive is the best :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellspawn
how many of team bhp members participated in this survey or how many knew that a survey like this was underway.what was the criteria for selecting people for the survey.

The survey was advertised in the previous editions of OD. Also an online survey was available.