Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2018, 20:00   #796
BHPian

Re: GST effect on car prices?

GST On Electric Car Batteries Could Come Down Drastically.

GST on electric car batteries could be reduced from 28 per cent to 12 per cent as per a proposal that has been put forward by the Government. That could result in a drop in electric car prices in India.

Source
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 21:43   #797
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
GST On Electric Car Batteries Could Come Down Drastically.
I don’t think it will make any difference as the end product has higher GST % so any reduction in input GST won’t impact.
Old 4th January 2019, 18:30   #798
Distinguished - BHPian

Cars costing over Rs 10 lakh to carry extra tax

Quote:
Cars priced higher than Rs 10 lakh may start costing Indians more, following the latest directive from the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC).

The government has said goods and services tax (GST) is payable on the invoice value plus tax collected at source (TCS) under income tax and not just on the value of the goods. The clarification implies that consumers will have to cough up GST on the value of tax collected by an auto dealer.
GST effect on car prices?-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th January 2019 at 18:32.
Old 4th January 2019, 19:17   #799
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

This cannot be correct, TCS portion does not go to the dealer or manufacturer, from the same article-

Quote..

TCS is principally not a consideration for the goods sold but is merely the collection of income tax on behalf of the buyer, hence the applicability of GST appears to be incorrect

since TCS is essentially collected and paid on behalf of the buyer, logically it should not be subject to GST and the government should consider amending the law, if needed

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th January 2019 at 19:19.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 09:43   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
And as per another Notification, Input credit on Lease/ Rental will also be not available, though I am not sure on this given the high repercussions.

Attachment 1847036
Does it mean that employees who have taken car lease from their employer will get affected ?
Old 12th February 2019, 10:51   #801
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
Does it mean that employees who have taken car lease from their employer will get affected ?
From what I understand, this will affect companies who had got the vehicles on lease and were taking ITC on the GST portion of lease. For an individual there should be no change unless the company had got into some agreement with an employee that they deduct only basic amount and not GST portion on the lease. Or some self employed persons who have GST number in their own name, they will no longer get ITC for this. Since the Government never allowed ITC on the vehicles, I see this more as technical correction.

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th February 2019 at 10:53.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 23:38   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
This cannot be correct, TCS portion does not go to the dealer or manufacturer, from the same article-
Customers have already started paying it. Quoting below post from Tata Harrier thread by the first BHPian to get delivery of the Harrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hridayjyoti View Post
Yes, TCS is 24375 with taxes (16250+50% GST) and handling charges of 9500.
Old 18th February 2019, 00:05   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Customers have already started paying it. Quoting below post from Tata Harrier thread by the first BHPian to get delivery of the Harrier
Sorry, I forgot to mention I have taken the Tata Harrier on company lease by leaseplan. However, Hartron Motors asking for it for individual buyers as well. Here is the normal quotation for direct buyers.
Attached Thumbnails
GST effect on car prices?-new-doc-20190218-00.01.15_1__01.jpg  

hridayjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 00:52   #804
A M
BHPian

The list in the above post specifically mentions 4x2. Is it an indication from Tata that they are planning an AWD version?
Old 18th February 2019, 10:49   #805
BHPian

As per this article, Kerela High Court has put a stay on this. It was published on 21st Jan, not sure if there is another ruling overriding this.

Quote:
Kerala High Court stays GST on tax collected at source on cars.
Quote:
In a temporary relief to the auto industry among others, the Kerala high court has stayed the imposition of goods and services tax (GST) on tax collected at source (TCS).
Old 18th February 2019, 11:59   #806
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Completely defies the common sense. How can Bureaucrats even come up with such proposals. Why don't they simply raise the GST % and include every-thing.

I am not entirely sure if the dealerships will be actually depositing GST on TCS so if they insist, we must ask for a proper GST Invoice.
Old 18th February 2019, 12:16   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hridayjyoti View Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention I have taken the Tata Harrier on company lease by leaseplan. However, Hartron Motors asking for it for individual buyers as well. Here is the normal quotation for direct buyers.
Interesting to find a new shade 'Atlas black' in that pricelist. Has Tata added it officially? I don't see that in their website.
Old 9th March 2019, 08:44   #808
Senior - BHPian

GST effect on car prices?

A clarification issued by the government.

GST will not be collected on the TCS amount.

http://www.ecoti.in/wdvZQa30
Sent from Economic Times Mobile App.(Download Now):
http://ecoti.in/etapps

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 9th March 2019 at 08:45.
Old 26th August 2021, 11:12   #809
Senior - BHPian

After several requests from vehicle manufacturers in India, the Centre has hinted that it is ready for negotiations to reduce GST rates on cars and two-wheelers.

Quote:
From Maruti to Honda, car and two-wheeler manufacturers in India have raised the issue of high GST rates and have sought Centre's help to rationalise it in order to make vehicles more affordable and boost sales.
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 14:00   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
After several requests from vehicle manufacturers in India, the Centre has hinted that it is ready for negotiations to reduce GST rates on cars and two-wheelers.
Looking at how the manufacturers have got used to increasing prices every few months, whatever tax reduction that's going to happen (if at all) will be eaten up by them within a year and they'll be back to complaining.

I remember there was a reduction in CBU duties on bikes after Trump had made some noise. Some portion of it was passed on to the customers, but the prices were back to what they were before, after a year or so. I remember this at least with the Honda Fireblade.

So, instead of cutting GST, I'd be happier if the income tax paying individuals are allowed to claim refund of whatever reduction is going to happen based on the taxable income. Making the rich farmers and income tax evading businessmen pay less would only lead to further increase in fuel prices and income tax.

One nation one road tax was one good thing that would have brought about some good changes in the Southern states, but with the centre defaulting on GST compensation to the states, they'd not bother bringing up the proposal for another 10 years.

Last edited by theredliner : 26th August 2021 at 14:18.
theredliner is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks