Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2015, 17:05   #16
BANNED

Re: Mahindra e2o Goodness Drive from Kashmir to Kanyakumari

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I have a feeling that Mahindra is just riding on the good will of people because you can buy two nanos for the price of this car.
Ideally it should be a technology development vehicle, like the early Teslas, currently for enthusiasts who have the money but eventually likely to trickle down to a sensible option for the rest of us.

Quote:
And before you raise that point, this car is not as clean as you imagine, unless you have a solar or wind mill at home. Sorry to break it to you but only a quarter of our electricity comes from clean sources in our country!
Still cleaner than burning petrol/diesel inside your car on the road.
Old 18th November 2015, 17:58   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
Still cleaner than burning petrol/diesel inside your car on the road.
Let me tell you, it may not even be cleaner by 25% because most of our Electricity comes from burning coal! And what about the batteries? Surely they are not Eco-friendly, are they?
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 19:39   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Let me tell you, it may not even be cleaner by 25% because most of our Electricity comes from burning coal!
A 500 megawatt coal plant is way cleaner, per megawatt-hour, than an engine in your car. Economies of scale, so to speak.

Quote:
And what about the batteries? Surely they are not Eco-friendly, are they?
You're referring to mining? Or something else? Either way, have you done the cost-benefit analysis here?
Old 18th November 2015, 20:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
A 500 megawatt coal plant is way cleaner, per megawatt-hour, than an engine in your car. Economies of scale, so to speak.
I doubt that. However you burn coal, you are emitting lot of pollutants, namely CO2, SO2, smog, particulate and what not. Looks like neither of us have the numbers to back, but nobody can say a coal plant is cleaner by a significant margin.

Quote:
You're referring to mining? Or something else? Either way, have you done the cost-benefit analysis here?
Batteries cost not just to produce but to dispose and recycle too. It is one of the top concerns when it comes to recycling, probably only next to plastic.

There may be people who are aware of these and still buy an e20 to do their bit. But if there are others who aren't, I wanted them to know that for that 25% cleaner environment, they are paying double not just on the car but maintaining as well.
Old 19th November 2015, 11:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Some numbers to add fuel to the fire.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...7100559AAq4lTM

http://www.plugincars.com/winning-co...-argument.html

Disclaimer: I don't know how accurate or correct these numbers are.
Old 19th November 2015, 23:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss_now View Post
I travelled to Bangalore, test drove an E2O and got it shipped to my little town. You know, I just love it – including the clownish looks. For your information, I had also considered a particular car called Jetta, produced by Volkswagen. It just looked plain boring, uninspiring and reminded me of an ugly duck that I used to spot in a small pond near my little town – specially that black coloured one. I must admit though, Jetta simply drives like a gem. I would certainly consider Jetta as my third car if I were able to reconcile with its “looks”. Cheers.
My word, looks like I hit a nerve! Anyhow. Beauty does lie in the eye of the beholder. You might see something bland and droll when you see the Jetta or any other car, I might see otherwise. Some feel the Ciaz is plain Jane, I might feel otherwise. That's the beauty of having an opinion. Not everyone sees things the same way. While electric cars are certainly the way of the future, I don't think the E2O is it just yet. It's the seed of an idea whose time is yet to come in India. And that's my 2 cents

P.S: Does that black duck in the pond come with 6 airbags and a host of other features, like projector headlights for eyes? I might consider it to be my 4th car if it's large enough to ride. I'll be like a warrior riding into battle, albeit one that looks absurd.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 11:45   #22
BHPian

Cool! The planned Goodness Drive will surely test the car's capabilities (and support systems needed therein). There is always a starting point. Way to go, M&M!

Beautiful car, I must say! This will surely make one's petrol head turn around, just for a long gaze. I had spotted one right in front of me. It played along for a kilometer. And I simply slowed down, to get that long gaze. Had this car been cheaper, I would have gone for it.

Quote:
And before you raise that point, this car is not as clean as you imagine, unless you have a solar or wind mill at home. Sorry to break it to you but only a quarter of our electricity comes from clean sources in our country!
I might be going off track now. But I must say this. My perspective - Having more electric cars on the road will not necessarily lead to a clean atmosphere. Why? Because more electric cars means - increase in electricity demand. And unless the electricity source is clean, the downstream consumers cannot really (in the true sense) say "we are using clean energy". Even electricity created by Nuclear Fission power plants is not (technically) clean. These plants create a humungous amount harmful radioactive material with a half-life of a few centuries (disposal of the same is a problem in itself).
True clean energy is reserved for the days of Nuclear FUSION power plants (no harmful byproducts). Commercial Nuclear Fusion plants are, perhaps, 50-70 years into the future. And besides, this is mother nature's very own source that powers the entire universe, it's stars and galaxies

Last edited by KomS_CarLog : 20th November 2015 at 12:03.
Old 11th December 2015, 16:21   #23
BHPian

The goodness drive completes Mumbai - Pune leg.
Quote:
Considering that we started early the highway to Pune was fairly unpopulated. We could easily maintain speeds of about 70kmph and still consume energy pretty efficiently. The regen system on the e2o was really put to good use especially on some downhill sections. This system not only stops consumption of power on a downhill, in fact it helps recharge the battery. Although at a pace that we are generally not used to driving, especially on the Express Highway, the e2o climbed up the ghats of Lonavala to our breakfast destination with quite some juice left. However, since we halted for a bite, we decided to charge them, just in case. For those who are wondering, the e2o just needs a simple 15amp plug point for charging. Soon after that, we continued on to Pune and arrived at our destination with close to 20 per cent charge left.
Text and Image Source, dated 8th Dec '15
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra e2o Goodness Drive from Kashmir to Kanyakumari-e2o.jpg  

Last edited by KomS_CarLog : 11th December 2015 at 16:23.
KomS_CarLog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:15   #24
BHPian

Mahindra e2o Goodness Drive from Kashmir to Kanyakumari COMPLETED

The Goodness drive has been completed successfully Some key facts-
1. The drive covered a distance of over 5,300 km and 52 locations, to reach its destination of Kanyakumari
2. The Goodness Drive lived upto its name, conserving over 1,300 liters of fuel and saving 806 kg of carbon dioxide emissions
3. During the entire journey, around 550 km was gained due to Regenerative Braking, a feature specific to electric cars that allows recharging of the batteries when the car brakes or slows down
Quote:
Most importantly it propagated a zero emission, zero fuel drive in addition to showcasing the full potential of a connected car, thereby dispelling all myths related to range anxiety. This was the right opportunity for the company to demonstrate the many aspects of the car - its ability to traverse tough and difficult terrain, accelerate instantly, its small turning radius and the convenience of clutch free driving
Mahindra e2o Goodness Drive from Kashmir to Kanyakumari-e2o.jpg
source

Check out the EV thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post3872848 for a link to regenerative braking details

Last edited by KomS_CarLog : 22nd December 2015 at 11:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks