Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2017, 18:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: BS-VI emission norms coming in April 2018!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
Centre Advances Implementation of BS-VI Norms For Car Fuel to April 2018 Instead of 2020 in NCR
The April 2018 deadline seems to be restricted to the National Capital Region only. While the intent is good, the means is not. This is one more knee jerk reaction in the face of mounting judicial censure. How many times will they keep changing the goal posts? Isn't the Government supposed to a have a long term vision? BS VI or not, the pollution in Delhi isn't going to abate unless all the stakeholders decide to first cleanse their own conscience and stop playing with people's health, life and money.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 18:55   #62
BANNED

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

It is true BS-VI in NCR from next year. Are we getting BSVI vehicles earlier, I guess not. As has been correctly pointed out BS-VI is same as Euro-VI except for the test speed, 90kph vs 120kph.
sgiitk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 00:01   #63
BHPian

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

BS VI norms is likely to make manufacturing new diesel cars really expensive. Good time to buy diesel cars now for higher resale values later?
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 09:20   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
BS VI norms is likely to make manufacturing new diesel cars really expensive. Good time to buy diesel cars now for higher resale values later?
I am not too sure that older Diesel engines will not attract a penal cess. So watch out.
Old 16th November 2017, 10:46   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo10 View Post
Hi,
I remember there being lot of discussions during the BS3 to BS4 switch with respect to using BS4 fuel in BS3 cars or BS3 fuel used in BS4 cars. What are the implications of using BS6 fuel in BS4 cars (if any)? thanks
Exactly my question! Are BS4 engines compatible with BS6 fuels? Will the emissions of a BS4 car not improve when tanked up with BS6 fuel? If not, what is the future of BS4 cars that we are buying today?

In principle, I see the move to accelerate towards BS6 as the need of the hour. However, what I am keen to understand the immediate implications it has for existing BS4 car owners.

Looking forward to getting educated on this by fellow BHPian!
Old 16th November 2017, 11:14   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo10 View Post
What are the implications of using BS6 fuel in BS4 cars (if any)? thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masda View Post
Exactly my question!
Another half cooked policy update?
Quote:
the real difference will actually be in the diesel. While normal diesel which was available in earlier carried 500 PPM (parts per million) of Sulphur, the current fuel that is termed as 'Low Sulphur Diesel' is just 50 PPM. The BS6 fuel in turn will actually carry just 10 PPM of Sulphur, which of course is much cleaner and better for the environment. While the engine will of course run cleaner, the long term effects of using BS6 fuel on BS4 engines exist... Sulphur in the fuel helps with the chemical lubrication of the injectors in a diesel engine. Diesel engines rely on their injectors to turn diesel from a liquid to a mist which then combusts in the cylinder. If you have a low level of Sulphur in your diesel, the injectors (in the long run) will showcase signs of internal wear and scoring. This might results in flow patterns being disrupted which in turn will cause incorrect and incomplete combustion and can also increase emissions. That said these are long term implications on the engine.
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/what-happ...-versa-1775932

If what the article says is indeed true, then given that we still don't have BS-VI diesel vehicles (widely?) available in the market, not only existing but even the new cars might see their longevity substantially reduced and/or increased maintenance costs!
And all this, when automakers believe that just shifting to BS-VI fuel may not see pollution levels dropped significantly. (not to mention the IITK study which puts passenger-vehicle contribution to PM 2.5 at 10% of the total pollution)
Quote:
According to a top executive at Toyota Kirloskar Motor Pvt. Ltd, there will be “marginal improvement” in the emission of particulates if the current set of vehicles run on BS-VI fuel as any low-level emission control device with higher level fuel results in improvement in particulate emission.

“A BS-VI engine can only operate on BS-VI fuel. If you allow BS-VI engine to operate on BS-IV fuel then the engine will get damaged. If you allow a BS-IV engine to operate on BS-VI fuel, the benefit of reduced pollution will largely be lost,” said Shekar Viswanathan, vice-chairman at Toyota Kirloskar.
http://www.livemint.com/Industry/mUT...-in-Delhi.html

Last edited by actinium15 : 16th November 2017 at 11:23.
Old 16th November 2017, 14:14   #67
BANNED

As far as I understand BS-VI will not affect Petrol cars. On the other hand Diesel gurus may comment on their domain. Both current and long term.

One think which deeds to be addressed is the widespread adulteration. Has it been addressed.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 07:28   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
Centre Advances Implementation of BS-VI Norms For Car Fuel to April 2018 Instead of 2020 in NCR
Personally, I think it is a good move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Good time to buy diesel cars now for higher resale values later?
I feel the opposite. Diesel is not a popular fuel in most parts of the developed world. The cost to manufacture diesel and petrol are pretty much the same for refineries. The price is India is skewed in due to subsidy given for diesel fuel. Diesel engines are more complex and inherently much more expensive to maintain the long run.

I strongly believe that as our country progresses economically, the subsidy on diesel will go away and cost of diesel and petrol will come on par. Besides as stricter emission norms kick in, diesels will go out of favour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinium15 View Post
And all this, when automakers believe that just shifting to BS-VI fuel may not see pollution levels dropped significantly.
Automakers are happy putting in gimmickry to pad the brochure, but they always lobby against emission norms and safety features saying it will make the car more expensive or to put it differently reduce their profits.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 19:29   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

The government has issued a draft notification to amend the Central Motor Vehicles Rules so that BS-IV compliant automobiles built before April 1, 2020 cannot be registered beyond June 30, 2020.

Quote:
Issuing draft notification to amend Central Motor Vehicles Rules, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has invited objections and suggestions from stakeholders, affected persons and public by December 20 for consideration. The notification said these rules will be called the Central Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Rules, 2017 and shall come into force on the date of their final publication in the Official Gazette.
The notification said: "New motor vehicles conforming to Emission Standard Bharat Stage-IV, manufactured before April 1, 2020 shall not be registered after June 30, 2020."
It said amendment in the rules will be done in exercise of the powers conferred by section 110 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
The notification further said, "provided that, the new motor vehicles of categories M & N, conforming to Emission Standard BS-IV, manufactured before April 1, 2020 and sold in the form of drive away chasis, shall not be registered after September 30, 2020."

ET Auto
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 09:40   #70
BANNED

It has been notified that 2020 is the implementation year. So not much to play about. Also, looking at the Smog problem in the NCR this will be done. Remember the Test Match was interrupted by smog yesterday, twice.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 12:51   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It has been notified that 2020 is the implementation year. So not much to play about. Remember the Test Match was interrupted by smog yesterday, twice.
Sir, Sri Lanka have tried to avoid humiliation with all kinds of things in this series, wonder if this the nation that dominated World Cricket under Arjuna Ranatunga. Yes, two years is a very small time to get ready for BS-6 compliance. If the CMV act can be amended in its draft form which prevents registration of BS-4 vehicles after June 30, 2020, this itself will be a moral victory. I wish this deadline was up to April 30, 2020. The message should be clear that India is no longer a market for unsafe and outdated cheap cars.

Last edited by deehunk : 4th December 2017 at 12:53.
Old 5th December 2017, 10:56   #72
Senior - BHPian

Let this get formally notified by Government to ensure compliance this time around; it was a sour experience to see how manufactures and dealers were hand in glove for sale of Euro III vehicles on 31 March 2017 when the registration ban was imposed.

Money takes priority when it comes to business no matter how strongly a manufacturer says that it believes in "corporate governance" and "ethical business practices".

A sunset date means a sunset date and all should fall in line !
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 15:33   #73
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

A diesel car running on BSIV fuel will not be able to work on BSVI fuel, so fuel pumps would need to keep both diesel versions running concurrently. That in turn is likely to speed up demands that Diesel cars life be limited to 10 or 15 year even in Private sector. Commercial diesel vehicles are already limited to 10 years.

The problem exists for Petrol BSIV and BSVI as well but is more to do with long term reliability and life of the BSIV engine using BSVI fuel, so petrol vehicles can cope with additive, this will be harder for Diesel engines.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 12:13   #74
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask. If not please delete.

we have a 14 year old Activa in the family. It's re-registration is due sometime in 2018. In between some talks, I was asking about the future course of action on the scooter and I was shocked to know that it is being planned for a re-registration next year.
Upon checking further, It seems the re-registration of BS3 vehicles are still going on. When I asked how it was being done, they simply said agents do it and that it is still legal. Now I am confused.
Old 21st December 2017, 18:05   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Upon checking further, It seems the re-registration of BS3 vehicles are still going on. When I asked how it was being done, they simply said agents do it and that it is still legal. Now I am confused.

After 15 years you need to get your scooter checked for fitness, pay fee for Green Tax and they will certify it for another 5 years.

There is no re-registration involved.

I had renewed my 1996 Kinetic Honda DX registration back in 2011 for next 5 years.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks