Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2019, 10:25   #376

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Does it mean that Ignis will not be getting the BS6 engine and will be discontinued from April 2020?
As far as I've heard, MSIL is bringing BS6 to all their petrol cars. News about a facelift of Ignis has been running along for quite a while now so, I assume that they will launch the BS6 Ignis along with the facelift. (Hopefully by the end of this month or the next one)
Old 19th October 2019, 11:00   #377
BHPian

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
I don't think they can discontinue diesel Ertiga either. If this news is true, it means no diesel Swift, DZire, Ciaz etc etc.
You are spot on. There will be no Diesel in Suzuki line up world wide for at least FY 2020-21. Focus would be heavily on Hybrids because that is where Toyota's strengths lie. Also they would be possibly working on CNGs as well to get CAFE advantage.
The thing is initial Diesel BSVI engines like the ones Hyundai are plinking in to Seltos are LNT based tech which are still cheaper as compared to the SCR tech engines which would eventually be required to meet CAFE and RDE regulations.
Carma2017 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 13:14   #378
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Creta, i20, Grand i10, Venue BS4 sales to continue till March 2020

Quote:
This move will potentially give Hyundai price / sales advantage over Maruti for about 3 months (Jan-March 2020).

Earlier, Maruti Suzuki had stated that it will stop production of BS4 vehicles by 31st December 2019 and the sales too shall close around January 2020. The difference in timelines will help Hyundai models to have a better value for money quotient when compared with vehicles from Maruti, which are close rivals in multiple segments.

In addition, Maruti will have no diesel cars on sale from Jan 2020. Hyundai on the other hand, will have diesel BS4 cars on sale till March 2020, and diesel BS6 cars on sale from April 2020.
Source
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 13:40   #379
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Hyundai Creta, i20, Grand i10, Venue BS4 sales to continue till March 2020
Source
But I wonder how they will handle unsold inventory by the end of March 2020. Would it not become a logistics/inventory management nightmare if they don't clear the BS-IV inventory and stock-up BS-VI inventory prior to the deadline?

The only way they can do this is by registering all their BS-IV stock before deadline on someone's name or on their name itself and then transfer to the buyer's name post sale, which technically makes the buyer second owner.

Or they must be having super agile inventory & logistics management, and super flexible production planning capabilities.

Or they must be having super accurate sales-forecasting skills, so that they can stock exactly what model, what variant, and what color the customer might buy! So that they won't end up with any unsold BS-IV cars.
Old 28th October 2019, 13:43   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Or they must be having super accurate sales-forecasting skills, so that they can stock exactly what model, what variant, and what color the customer might buy! So that they won't end up with any unsold BS-IV cars.
Or, they know something we don't. Yet. That they'll succeed in making the government relent to their demand of allowing manufacturers to clear the BS4 inventory already produced till march 2020.
Old 28th October 2019, 13:52   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Or, they know something we don't. Yet. That they'll succeed in making the government relent to their demand of allowing manufacturers to clear the BS4 inventory already produced till march 2020.
Are you slightly, delicately, unknowingly, unwittingly trying to tell that Hyundai knows something happening inside the government that Maruti doesn't know?
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 14:10   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Are you slightly, delicately, unknowingly, unwittingly trying to tell that Hyundai knows something happening inside the government that Maruti doesn't know?
All I'm saying is that by putting out a statement that 'manufacturers should manufacture BS6 cars which can run on BS4 fuel too', the government position isn't as hardened as it was thought to be. So they just might have a longer extended window.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 14:36   #383
BHPian

Quote:
All I'm saying is that by putting out a statement that 'manufacturers should manufacture BS6 cars which can run on BS4 fuel too', the government position isn't as hardened as it was thought to be. So they just might have a longer extended window.
I am buying a BS6 diesel car in few days. If it is not able to run on BS4 fuel, how it will survive for 5 months and how can manufacturers sell it? This should be true for petrols as well.
Old 28th October 2019, 20:06   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
I am buying a BS6 diesel car in few days. If it is not able to run on BS4 fuel, how it will survive for 5 months and how can manufacturers sell it? This should be true for petrols as well.
I am also looking to buy a new car soon so have been reading a fair bit of technical information.

The case of BS4 / BS6 engine and fuel is not a question of will it work or not. ie its not similar to putting petrol fuel in a diesel engine or vice versa. The right question is how "well" will the car run on a non optimal fuel.

Most reports say that petrol engines will not have any significant adverse impact. The newer engine will be almost fully compatible with the earlier petrol fuel. Hence you are seeing Maruti launching mostly BS6 petrols.

The Diesels however are a different matter. BS6 fuels have 1/5 levels of Sulphur and hence the engines are calibrated to handle that. What a BS4 fuel with 5x more Sulphur does to these new engines is what NO one seems to know for sure or rather reveal to the customer.

It also depends on what type of Diesel engine one is talking about. Engines like EA288 evo , BMW Twin Turbo and some Mercedes engines are already Euro6 compliant albeit with some additional upgrades like AdBlue, SCR etc etc. How an Indianized BS6 performs with BS4 fuel is still unsure.

To summarize, the issue is not binary ( works or doesn't work) but more subjective regarding performance. Add to that Indian driving conditions and humidity, the outcome is really unknown.

One might simply have to additionally service the vehicle in this transition time and negotiate extended warranty as peace of mind.
VPJ74 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 07:42   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Quote:
It doesn't matter who knows whom in the govt. The deadline has been set by the court. No dilly dallying this time ! Any extension means contempt of court. I'm pretty sure the morons governing us know the meaning of this, which is why they would probably grant an extension to the oil companies, not the manufacturers.
Old 29th October 2019, 07:51   #386
BHPian

Quote:
But I wonder how they will handle unsold inventory by the end of March 2020....
Hyundai has a huge export base where BSIV cars can be sold which Maruti hasn't. Simple. Hyundai will re route the BSIV cars to export locations. By selling BSIV cars till March 2020, they are not doing anything illegal, it is just not a behavior we expect from a world class maker like Hyundai. But then again we live in the times where Donald Trump can become president.
Carma2017 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 10:25   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I wonder how they will handle unsold inventory by the end of March 2020.
Hey buddy I think if Hyundai has decided that it will produce BS4 cars till the deadline then they must have a plan B in place just in case they do not clear the inventory in time. When almost every other manufacturer is stopping the production of BS4 cars by the year end and only Hyundai is going to produce BS4 cars till March 2020 then I seriously think that Hyundai has a concrete plan ready for the unsold stock. Also Hyundai India exports cars to more than 90 countries out of India, so they may have a plan of exporting the unsold BS4 stock to some of these countries. If these BS4 cars are able to meet the regulations of the country they are exported to then I don't see any problem in Hyundai doing this. It makes complete business sense.
ram87pune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 15:03   #388
BHPian

Question to the folks here

I know that the existing BSIV vehicles can run to their life time and there is no registration of new BSIV vehicles entertained after April 2020. How about the resale of these existing vehicles? Do they have any regulations?

Last edited by saisree : 30th October 2019 at 15:06.
Old 30th October 2019, 16:14   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Question to the folks here

I know that the existing BSIV vehicles can run to their life time and there is no registration of new BSIV vehicles entertained after April 2020. How about the resale of these existing vehicles? Do they have any regulations?
No specific restrictions for that at the moment. Resale is allowed as long as there is time left for the registration to expire. After the advent of the scrapping policy, owners will have no option but to scrap their vehicles after the expiry of registration period.
coolkurt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 20:10   #390
BHPian

So a person buying a BS IV car today can drive it until Oct-2034 (except for the NCR region) and the same car can be re-registered N no of times not worrying about the BS VI norms. Great!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks