Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2015, 18:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Picture of thief buying a car on fake demand draft (Rajasthan) - Please help locate / identify h

In these days of electronic transactions, why use DDs/cheques at all ?

RTGS transfers money in realtime, is a lot faster , and sometimes cheaper than cheques and DDs, and saves everybody's time. Dealers , customers and financiers should insist on electronic transfers.

How does bank financing work , do they always prepare a DD in the name of the dealer ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 18th December 2015 at 18:24.
Old 18th December 2015, 18:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Picture of thief buying a car on fake demand draft (Rajasthan) - Please help locate / identify h

Having taken house loans in the past - loans are generally disbursed by the bank in the form of a banker's cheque, especially in the case of PSU banks. As all their processing is mostly on paper for loans, and xerox copies need to go to many places for their reference, DD seems to be preferred.

I did pay for a car recently through an RTGS transfer.
Old 18th December 2015, 20:42   #18
BHPian

After reading the post, I dont think that the car would have been registered. A lot of dealerships give cars to customers without registration and insurance if the customer demands in case the customer himself wants to do the registration and insurance. That being so, the Police can easily prohibit registering of that vehicle with the concerned RTO and trace the car.
Old 18th December 2015, 20:49   #19
BHPian

I still cant understand, why he would pose for the pic. If I were issuing fake DDs, there is no way on Earth, I am gonna smile and pose with the car!

I mean, if he had the brains to fake the DD, he would know that as well. May be he is a proxy.
anand.shankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 21:16   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
I still cant understand, why he would pose for the pic. If I were issuing fake DDs, there is no way on Earth, I am gonna smile and pose with the car!

I mean, if he had the brains to fake the DD, he would know that as well. May be he is a proxy.
Its standard procedure these days - the delivery photo. More than framing the photo and giving it as a momento to you, the customer, the dealership wants the picture as a proof of having handed over the car to you. So if the guy refused, it could make them suspicious. Maybe that's why he posed.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 22:32   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Its standard procedure these days - the delivery photo. More than framing the photo and giving it as a momento to you, the customer, the dealership wants the picture as a proof of having handed over the car to you. So if the guy refused, it could make them suspicious. Maybe that's why he posed.
There is nothing of that sort standard procedure. We have bought two cars in last 5 years and they didn't insist on a photo at all. There are lot of people who doesn't bother getting photographed either. And clicking a photo doesn't amount to having proof of delivering a vehicle, for that there is a document which gets signed by the owner.
Old 18th December 2015, 22:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post

Yes, he may be proxy but what's the harm posing for the pic when he already has given his passport photos to be attached with the paper work. (As seen in the first post)
Posing for the pic while taking delivery would have entrusted that dealership guys doesn't suspect and he may drive out calmly.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 00:57   #23
MHG
BHPian

I know real life isn't a hollywood movie, but it would've been poetic to see this guy and that fraudulent Skoda dealer trying to rip each other off.
MHG is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 01:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
What next... fake DD by customer in this incident and bounced cheques by Skoda dealers in Mumbai! I wonder how the trust factor is to be bridged in the future.
Dude - I have seen farmers walking into premium car showrooms with bags of cash and wanting to drive out with cars. Farmers and land owners in areas such as Gurgaon, Panvel and Sanand have minted so much money that a lot of us can only dream of.

In my line of work, I have personally met quite a few folks who must be worth well into 8 digits but would wear the most discreet clothes possible.

Read THIS article as an example.
Avdhesh
Hi
More than 10 years back Times of India reported that maximum registration of new Mercedes cars was in Kolhapur. At that time Kolhapur was definitely behind Bombay Pune and Nagpur in population and prosperity.

Regards
Old 19th December 2015, 11:34   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Ksgehlot: Since this seems to have happened in your dealership, you would have a first-hand knowledge of the modus operandi, I guess. For the benefit of others, could you put in brief how this person goes about with the fraud?

I'm sure this would be more than helpful for others in the business.

Also any hints on what happens to the car(s) based on the previously reported cases? Are they also of the same make, Ford?

To be frank, the person in the picture looks like a humble old-timer. He knows how to play his part for sure, no?

Good luck!
Well it was more or less my fault also. My staff should have verified the DD before the delivery. It was a holiday for the bank. He took the delivery on a Saturday. One more thing that has happened is that my staff knows the manager of the bank, they usually call him up and verify it on the phone. But that day he was on leave. This old guy is really good at talking and he knows how to play this game. He would give reference to a very known person in the local area and convince you to give the delivery ASAP.

FIR has been registered and the police is on it.
Old 19th December 2015, 12:44   #26
BHPian

Dear ksgehlot,

I feel sorry for your loss, but this person has not only struck in Punjab & Rajasthan but U.P. as well, I head a Toyota dealership in UP and his photographs have been circulated with the complete sales staff.

The recent two known instances are attached as photos;

Picture of thief buying a car on fake demand draft (Rajasthan). EDIT: Culprit found?-img20150711wa0001.jpg

Picture of thief buying a car on fake demand draft (Rajasthan). EDIT: Culprit found?-img20151209wa0001.jpg

My sincere wishes to you and the law agencies for apprehending and bringing this person to justice.

PS. Please pardon the bad quality of pics as they were shared on WhatsApp
nbk.0707 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 13:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgehlot View Post
Well it was more or less my fault also. My staff should have verified the DD before the delivery. It was a holiday for the bank. He took the delivery on a Saturday. One more thing that has happened is that my staff knows the manager of the bank, they usually call him up and verify it on the phone. But that day he was on leave. This old guy is really good at talking and he knows how to play this game. He would give reference to a very known person in the local area and convince you to give the delivery ASAP.

FIR has been registered and the police is on it.
Such cases are the easiest for the police to crack under normal circumstances. You have the photo of the culprit, he is aged and hopefully you have his mobile number. So I am surprised the police not able to get any clues on this guy even after a week.
It would be helpful, if you make the VIN of the stolen car public.

Last edited by poloman : 19th December 2015 at 13:03.
Old 19th December 2015, 13:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Avdhesh
Hi
More than 10 years back Times of India reported that maximum registration of new Mercedes cars was in Kolhapur. At that time Kolhapur was definitely behind Bombay Pune and Nagpur in population and prosperity.

Regards
Exactly the point I was trying to make that appearance is not a proxy for wealth
Old 19th December 2015, 13:25   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post

DD's are pretty very much dead, except as Ernest Money Deposits in Tender processes. That itself should have triggered suspicions.
I have bought two cars in India in the last two years and both times I have paid via DD and have gotten immediate delivery. No one called the bank to verify or anything like it. The last one was just a few weeks ago. The dealer requested RTGS but it was late in the evening and the deadline for same day transfer has passed. I called and asked if they would accept a DD and they were fine with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
In these days of electronic transactions, why use DDs/cheques at all ?
I feel that a bank transfer requires more trust on part of the customer. After the money has gone to the dealer's account, the customer has little hold on the dealer if everything promised is not delivered. In case of a DD, the customer can verify that all accessories have been fitted, all issues rectified and can then hand over the DD.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th December 2015 at 23:04. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use multi-quote/QUOTE+ to quote multiple posts and respond to them.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 18:05   #30
BHPian

He must have been incorporated with a Bank at some age in his life to know all the minute details. I wonder if any Dealer just surprisingly called or told him to get the DD encashed before delivering the car at the time of his presence. And he'd be like ...."Umm yeah you do that I'll go out for a walk, having back ache since morning, damn this old age".
I am sure he'd be caught soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks