Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2016, 17:13   #1
Team-BHP Support

Tata Motors announces new "Impact" design language for its cars

Tata Motors has announced a new design language for its upcoming passenger vehicles. Dubbed "Impact", it will be first seen on the Zica hatchback, which is expected to be launched later this month.

Tata Motors announces new "Impact" design language for its cars-image-1-zica-front.jpg

This new design language features key elements on the exteriors and the interiors of upcoming Tata vehicles.

Tata Motors announces new "Impact" design language for its cars-impact-design.jpg

Tata Motors claims that the exterior of the its new vehicles will boast of the largest dimensions in their respective segments, a more proportioned cabin to body ratio as well as hood to cabin relationship. They will also feature design characteristics such as the Humanity line, Slingshot line and details inspired by Indian architecture.

Coming to the interior, the vehicles will get a layered cockpit design with a driver-focussed layout, storage spaces and features with all displays, commands and controls within easy reach.
Aditya is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 17:29   #2
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors announces new "Impact" design language for its cars

TMIL in recent times have made good progress to cover lost ground. Apt name chosen for the design language - IMPACT, the looks of a car certainly makes an immediate impact in the buyers mind, hence appropriately branded.

This should be good news for those who were complaining about the Indica silhouette on TATA cars, with this design theme, I guess TATA cars will be more pleasing to the eye. This will help TATA cars gain aspirational value.

Wishing them All the best for resurrection

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 6th January 2016 at 17:40.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 17:48   #3
BHPian

While I would really love for TMIL to be successful. Sticking to the indica profile/silhouette is not going to make much of an impact or atleast a positive one.
Caramba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 18:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

I like the new front end on the Zica. Its got a smiling great white shark look, with very sharp features.
Old 6th January 2016, 18:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors announces new "Impact" design language for its cars

I dont know why but except Safari, I am completely put off by the looks of almost all the Tata cars due to very very old design. It was really very exciting and fresh when Indica was launched but the same design is very very boring now.
At the other end there was Santro Xing which still looks fresh.

Last edited by carwatcher : 6th January 2016 at 18:25.
Old 6th January 2016, 19:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I dont know why but except Safari, I am completely put off by the looks of almost all the Tata cars due to very very old design. It was really very exciting and fresh when Indica was launched but the same design is very very boring now.
At the other end there was Santro Xing which still looks fresh.
Though looks are subjective to the viewer, the Zica design does look quite new compared to the Santro Xing that according to you still looks fresh.
I think Tata seems to follow a more Euro / British design language compared to the Japs and the Koreans.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 19:15   #7
Team-BHP Support

Zica is just an average design IMO which can get lost among other similar cars in the segment like the new Ford Figo, Hyundai Grand i10 etc with which it shares many design similarities like the rear end. There are no eye catching design elements used like the Aston'ish face on the Ford or the mature fluidic rear end on the Grand.

Not sure what "impact" they'll have with design alone.
Old 6th January 2016, 19:49   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
largest dimensions in their respective segments, a more proportioned cabin to body ratio as well as hood to cabin relationship.
a layered cockpit design with a driver-focussed layout, storage spaces and features with all displays, commands and controls within easy reach.
These words feel like music to the ears.

All the above given points except for the 'largest dimensions in class' are what Tata always lacked in and had to improve.
Old 6th January 2016, 21:48   #9
BHPian

I actually liked the design of Tata this time. The face looks more shark-ish rather that looking like a typical Tata smiley face. Need to see the side profile fully to verify if it still has Indica's egg shell shaped design or not.

With Zest and Bolt, Tata has proven that they can design solid built cars with lots of nitty-gritty features. They have improved upon design now.

Only if they can improve upon their sales and service, then they will have good chance of making a strong come-back in passenger car market (excluding Taxi one).
xs2mayank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 09:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

The only thing that comes to my mind is "appreciate". TML is really working hard for past few years even when their efforts for revival are not resulting in intended success.

Zest is a competent product and Zica looks promising. I think if the impact design clicks among buyers, they should quickly consider revival of Safari which has now a great performing engine (Vericor 400); the only missing link is features and interors which should not take much of time (may be a year) as the exterior change / change in white body of the car requires a lot of time and efforts.

I am looking forward to Zica and might take a plunge again with Tata cars !
i74js is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 09:27   #11
BHPian

TML is really working hard to improve everything and they deserve an applause for going in the right direction. The build quality in Tata's car is better compared to other manufactures. Hope the Zica brings in turn of fortunes. Its sad to see Tata cars performing very bad despite having good cars like Bolt & Zest.
sairamboko is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 15:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Slightly misunderstood, I never compared Santro Xing with Zica, just mentioned that Xing still looks fresh and many other cars have that "Timeless" design element, for eg Polo and Safari, IMHO lines have more longevity than curves with regard to people getting bored of them.

As mentioned by others this car will get lost in sea of similar designed cars and I found it similar to Micra, Figo from side, old i10/i20 from rear.

At the same time it still is a big improvement from Indicaesque design which was designed in Europe as you have rightly mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Though looks are subjective to the viewer, the Zica design does look quite new compared to the Santro Xing that according to you still looks fresh.
I think Tata seems to follow a more Euro / British design language compared to the Japs and the Koreans.
Old 8th January 2016, 18:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Here are the details of TATA Motors new IMPACT design language

source: TML Press release
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Motors announces new "Impact" design language for its cars-impact1.jpg  

Tata Motors announces new "Impact" design language for its cars-impact2.jpg  

Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 19:09   #14
BHPian

Interesting to see Tata making good efforts on the design front. I hope they succeed. But design hasn't been their problem. It is their brand image and service. I hope they address it.
If design is as important Maruti should have shut shop by now

Last edited by pacman2881 : 9th January 2016 at 19:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks