Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2006, 13:04   #31
Team-BHP Support

@Joz, your argument is quite valid but the point I am putting across it that there are lots of things which can go wrong in a modern hi tech car, due to which you "have" to go to a dealer.
A run flat tyre is just one of those things. Also forget local garage, you cannot repair it.
You have to replace it.
From the pirelly website, any tyre dealer who can fit low profile tyres can fit run flat tyres.
When this tech gets popular, more dealers will crop up who stock such tyres.

Morover this decision to stall BMW smacks of red-tapism.
A regulatory body should take care of lots of aspects. Agreed.
But where were they when they allowed a suicide machine like the omni to be sold?
Where are they on M800, which lacks basic safety feature of a rigid body shell.
Such cars cannot even be sold in the west.

when any new entrant comes there will be some small little things which will not be exactly complying with local regulations.
What ARAI does is make mountains out of a molehill.
There are cars being built in India which should never be homogelated.
Its due to ARAIs shortcomings that tata has the nerve to create a 4 door plastic panel thing and call it one lakh car. such a contraption will never be sold in the west due to safety concerns.
If ARAI really wants to best, it should be impartial.
Ban 800/omni due to safety aspects.
Not to allow cars which do not meet basic safety criteria.

They do not even have a proper car testing facility, though they are in the process of upgrading VRDE etc.,

They need a major overhaul and stop this mindset that if Tata/Maruti builds it, it is roadworthy, no matter what crap, but if some phoren chap comes, make them weep.
Old 20th September 2006, 20:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Well the amount of damaged rims and tyres i have seen on BMW's i definately feel that Run Flat tech is way ahead of its time for India, and that the point ARAI has is justified.. Imagine getting stranded in ur 3 series due to a damaged Run Flat on roads well used like Mum Pune expressway at night.. how safe would anyone feel? and when they say 200 kms @ 90 kmph.. on Indian roads, esp post monsoons.. they barely last 50-80 kms..
Old 21st September 2006, 18:11   #33
BANNED

I think ARAI should change their age old rules at least in some cases.

Cheers
Alex

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks