Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2016, 17:43   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio & XUV500 get new 1.99L mHawk diesel engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesha View Post

Apart from the above I felt that the third bench would be a problem from my 12 & 9 year kids.
On this aspect i can say that the last row is not that bad as projected. Last month i had my In-laws visiting my place and a plan was made to drive down to Agra. So we were 6 adults and someone had to jump in the last row. My wife voluntarily went ahead and sat on one of the seats. Wile returning from the trip, my wife said "Thank you" to me and i asked why, she said, the rear bench was fun and not at all cramped. She enjoyed having independent AC vents and control, loved cup holders for her drinks, and a separate point for charging her cellphone, what all could i need more.

Also let me tell you her height is 5.7 so you can say an average height person can easily fit in the last bench. So if this is the deal breaker for you, then please go ahead and try it for yourself.
Just my two cents.
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 22:15   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesha View Post
Apart from the above I felt that the third bench would be a problem from my 12 & 9 year kids.

These two things and no AWL in 199L engine is holding me from going for XUV5OO. I am thinking of going with the new AWD Duster instead.

Any suggestions and pointers would be great in helping me in making the decision. Thanks.
Your 12 & 9 Kids shouldn't have a problem in the third row at all. It is usable even for adults provided they are are below 5'7" or so and not too portly.

The 1.99 is a minor reduction to the 2.2 . With other improvements, one can achieve the same performance despite the .2 reduction in CC. There are sub 2 liter engines, pushing 190 bhp and 40 kgm Torque. I am not sure how well Mahindra has engineered this engine, but I am sure that they have built up enough engineering capability to downsize a 2.2 to 1.9 liters.

Regarding Duster 4WD, I have one and the ride/comfort/handling is brilliant and plus I get an average of 15+ kmpl with a reasonably heavy foot, even with the economy mode off. I have two main issues with it. 1) Lack of any kind of cubby holes in the central console & lack of any bottle holders in the door pockets. 1) When a large passenger occupies the front seats and moves the front seat back then the middle row legroom gets compromised.

If you ask me, I would suggest the XUV 500 automatic, assuming it is available in NCR. Nowadays, with the kind of traffic, we have to deal with, it is best to get an automatic. I think the automatic is available with AWD as well. If you are okay with the space in the duster, it is also a very capable vehicle. However, if you need more space the XUV500 is the only option in the budget range with AWD.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 23:13   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Also let me tell you her height is 5.7 so you can say an average height person can easily fit in the last bench. So if this is the deal breaker for you, then please go ahead and try it for yourself.
Just my two cents.
That's comforting to know. It should be alright for my kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Regarding Duster 4WD, I have one and the ride/comfort/handling is brilliant and plus I get an average of 15+ kmpl with a reasonably heavy foot, even with the economy mode off. I have two main issues with it. 1) Lack of any kind of cubby holes in the central console & lack of any bottle holders in the door pockets. 1) When a large passenger occupies the front seats and moves the front seat back then the middle row legroom gets compromised.

If you ask me, I would suggest the XUV 500 automatic, assuming it is available in NCR. Nowadays, with the kind of traffic, we have to deal with, it is best to get an automatic. I think the automatic is available with AWD as well. If you are okay with the space in the duster, it is also a very capable vehicle. However, if you need more space the XUV500 is the only option in the budget range with AWD.
I took a fairly long test drive of new AWD Duster this afternoon involving all kind of straights and roughs. I didn't find the power and ride quality to be substantial better over the XUV.

Although I already knew/seen the poor interior of Duster, it still was a disappointment. The top version has no CD player. Call me old school but I love my Eric Clapton and KennyG CDs during my long drives. The pink inlays around the AC vents and the red door handle is big put-off. The placement of info-media touche screen is at placed awkwardly w.r.t viewing the screen when the GPS navigation is used. If only the screen could flip/rotate little bit towards the driver.

On the other hand 1.99L XUV5OO does not come with AWL or Auto transmission. I think both are preferred requirement for me as I have to deal with the bumper to bumper traffic at home in Delhi and 1-2 yearly trips to snow bound areas. I am therefor even thinking to go with 2.2L W10 AWD Auto with outside State registration.

Innova Crysta which is being launched on May 3rd could also be an option. The Innova comfort and Toyota reliability makes it a tempting option to have a look before plunging on a buy. Powerful 2.8L Diesel/2L Petrol with auto transmission and acre of 2nd and 3rd bench along with premium interiors deserves a look, I think.
Old 14th April 2016, 11:19   #64
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Does anyone have an idea if M&M are planning to launch the XUV automatic with the 1.99L engine.

things are really screwed up in NCR for a new car buyer I want to buy an automatic SUV, can get the 2.2 AT XUV if i have a non NCR address (which i dont), but there is no XUV AT available in the 1.99L guise in NCR.

the Creta has ridiculous waiting periods.

So net net, one cant buy a diesel AT SUV in NCR whereas someone living just 50 KMs in any direction of Delhi can!!

This would be funny if it weren't so pathetic!
Old 15th April 2016, 20:22   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
So net net, one cant buy a diesel AT SUV in NCR whereas someone living just 50 KMs in any direction of Delhi can!!

This would be funny if it weren't so pathetic!
If you have/get a rented apartment in G.Noida, I guess you can get it registered there based on the rent agreement.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 20:59   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
If you have/get a rented apartment in G.Noida, I guess you can get it registered there based on the rent agreement.
I dont think that G noida is spared from this rule. I called Koncept mahindra based in G noida and they said that they are also offering 1.99L engine. Do you know any specific dealer which is selling 2.2 L in or near G noida?
anubshar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 08:27   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubshar View Post
I dont think that G noida is spared from this rule. I called Koncept mahindra based in G noida and they said that they are also offering 1.99L engine. Do you know any specific dealer which is selling 2.2 L in or near G noida?
I guess you are right. The ban must be covering all these districts as they are part of NCR -

Haryana - Faridabad, Gurgaon, Mewat, Rohtak, Sonepat, Rewari, Jhajjhar, Panipat, Palwal, Bhiwani, Mahendragarh, Jind, Karnal.
UP - Meerut, Ghaziabad, Gautam Budha Nagar, Bulandshahr, Hapur, Baghpat, Muzaffarnagar.
RJ - Alwar, Bharatpur.

So one needs to probably go beyond these to get a 2.2 registered!
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 22:22   #68
BHPian

Guys, any update on when AT will be launched with 1.99 engine
Old 14th May 2016, 20:30   #69
Senior - BHPian

Dropped by the Mahindra dealer in noida today to check for any development and the good thing is they have brought back the s4+ 4wd model in the 1.99 avatar. Bad news is the price has been revised, the on road price of this particular model is hovering around 13 Lacs, incorporating all possible discounts! Also the colour shade of the erstwhile silver has been changed now with a slight inclination towards the previous rocky beige, looks far better.
Old 15th May 2016, 00:49   #70
BHPian

One of my friend has brought a 1.99 L scorpio and the mileage returned by Scorpio on highways is around 20-22 which is really amazing. Also, there is no visible difference in driving 1.99 when compared to 2.2L. So, kudos to Mahindra for such a good work
Old 15th May 2016, 09:39   #71
BHPian

Quote:
One of my friend has brought a 1.99 L scorpio and the mileage returned by Scorpio on highways is around 20-22 which is really amazing. Also, there is no visible difference in driving 1.99 when compared to 2.2L. So, kudos to Mahindra for such a good work
Mileage of 20-22 in Scoprio
I can assure you that he calculated something wrong! If the 1.99 were capable of returning 20-22, Mahindra would have launched that engine everywhere in India. I generally do not bother about mileage but I get around 11-12.
Old 15th May 2016, 10:18   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Mileage of 20-22 in Scoprio
I can assure you that he calculated something wrong! If the 1.99 were capable of returning 20-22, Mahindra would have launched that engine everywhere in India. I generally do not bother about mileage but I get around 11-12.
Well, if engine size is reduced, a bump in FE can definitely be expected. I have managed to get 14.5 kmpl from my 2.2L. So, 20 from a 1.99L may not be impossible but would for sure need some strict discipline. And, it may not be the regular mileage your friend gets. My average FE revolves around 13. Please ask your friend about the driving conditions as well.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3926575
Old 15th May 2016, 14:29   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Well, if engine size is reduced, a bump in FE can definitely be expected. I have managed to get 14.5 kmpl from my 2.2L. So, 20 from a 1.99L may not be impossible but would for sure need some strict discipline. And, it may not be the regular mileage your friend gets. My average FE revolves around 13. Please ask your friend about the driving conditions as well.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3926575
Mahindra themselves claim mileage of 15.
A small bump is surely possible but not 40% increase. I don't think any amount of strict discipline can lead to this high mileage.
Old 2nd June 2016, 17:51   #74

I visited GSP motors in Gurgaon to enquire about the AT version of 1.99L engine vehicle. The sales guy told me that it is expected by 15th of June and told me that the unofficial booking has already started as there would clearly be a waiting list for the AT version. Since I have been waiting to buy XUV AT for a long time but missed the 2.2L engine, I have gone ahead and paid Rs. 25000 as the booking amount, without even the vehicle getting launched. My head tells me that I am making a mistake but the heart has won..
rsathya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 00:08   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Does anyone have an idea if M&M are planning to launch the XUV automatic with the 1.99L engine.
things are really screwed up in NCR for a new car buyer I want to buy an automatic SUV, can get the 2.2 AT XUV if i have a non NCR address (which i dont), but there is no XUV AT available in the 1.99L guise in NCR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukoul View Post
Guys, any update on when AT will be launched with 1.99 engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsathya View Post
I visited GSP motors in Gurgaon to enquire about the AT version of 1.99L engine vehicle.
Good news!! Mahindra could soon announce the launch of XUV 1.99 AT. Car will be available in all variants i.e. W4, W6, W8 and W10 (no AWD for now).

Mahindra Scorpio & XUV500 get new 1.99L mHawk diesel engine-p.png
Senna4Ever is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks