Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2016, 12:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Updated Jaguar XJ launched at Rs. 98.03 lakh

The refreshed Jaguar XJ has been launched in India at prices starting from Rs. 98.03 lakh (ex-showroom, pre-octroi Mumbai). The car will be locally assembled in Pune, Maharashtra.

The petrol XJ is powered by a 2.0L, turbocharged engine that makes 237 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 340 Nm of torque @ 1,750 rpm. It has a claimed 0-100 km/h time of 7.9 seconds.

The diesel XJ is offered with a 3.0L, turbocharged engine that makes 296 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 700 Nm of torque @ 2,000 rpm. Jaguar claims a 0-100 km/h time of 6.2 seconds.

The new Jaguar XJ will be available in India in the following variants (all-prices ex-showroom, pre-octroi Mumbai), with an 8-speed automatic gearbox equipped as standard:

• XJ 2.0L petrol 'Portfolio': Rs. 99.23 lakh
• XJ 3.0L diesel 'Premium Luxury': Rs. 98.03 lakh
• XJ 3.0L diesel 'Portfolio': INR 105.42 lakh

Standard features include xenon headlamps with washers & LED DRLs (Portfolio grade gets full LED headlamps with adaptive lighting and auto high-beam assist), a 380W Meridian sound system with an 8-inch touchscreen display and Bluetooth audio streaming (Portfolio grade gets an 825W Meridian sound system), navigation and a 12.3-inch colour TFT-LCD instrument cluster.

The feature list also includes heated and cooled front and rear seats, 14-way adjustable electric driver and front passenger seats with memory function, 4-way lumbar support and massage function with 5 intensity settings, four-zone climate control and ambient lighting among others.

Safety features include a tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS), emergency brake assist, front/side/curtain airbags, 360 degree Park Distance Control, a surround camera system and Park Assist.

Colour options include Polaris White, Rhodium Silver, Ammonite Grey, Dark Sapphire, Odyssey Red, Aurora Red, British Racing Green and Ultimate Black.

The Jaguar XJ rivals cars like the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, Audi A8 and BMW 7-Series.

Updated Jaguar XJ launched at Rs. 98.03 lakh-2.jpg

Updated Jaguar XJ launched at Rs. 98.03 lakh-3.jpg

Updated Jaguar XJ launched at Rs. 98.03 lakh-5.jpg

Last edited by Tushar : 29th January 2016 at 12:17.
Tushar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 17:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Updated Jaguar XJ launched at Rs. 98.03 lakh

Although I love the XJ, I'm sad that they are no longer offering a supercharged Petrol, why would it cost them to have it on order as a CBU anyways? Having a 2lt petrol engine which makes 237bhp for a little over a much better specced diesel means they are not interested in selling the Petrol at-all. I think it will get even fewer sales than the 500hp behemoth it replaces.
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 06:56   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Although I love the XJ, I'm sad that they are no longer offering a supercharged Petrol, why would it cost them to have it on order as a CBU anyways? Having a 2lt petrol engine which makes 237bhp for a little over a much better specced diesel means they are not interested in selling the Petrol at-all. I think it will get even fewer sales than the 500hp behemoth it replaces.
The 2 liter petrol is only available in top-spec Portfolio trim, makes for a good option for fleet cars and execs who swear by petrol but never drive. They're definitely interested in selling them.

I'm pretty JLR can order you an XJR, similar to the XF-R which is still available on order with your own pick of options.
fre2bpowerless is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 10:01   #4
Team-BHP Support

Apart from the different headlights , it looks exactly same, They should have moved rear tray tables to seats ( business class like ) on the pattern of others in the same segment, I recollect having seen a special XJ edition once in Canada which had trays in the rear so they could have managed this small but very useful change. Folding screens looks nice though.

In any case given the legendary Jaguar service & reliability issues, I don't think they will find any buyers especially with new S class setting new benchmarks in interiors and the upcoming 7 which everyone is praising for sports car-like driving. They should have done something differently probably

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th January 2016 at 10:03.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 10:44   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Apart from the different headlights , it looks exactly same, They should have moved rear tray tables to seats ( business class like ) on the pattern of others in the same segment, I recollect having seen a special XJ edition once in Canada which had trays in the rear so they could have managed this small but very useful change. Folding screens looks nice though.
That would require a two seat setup at the back. The new S & 7 too have it only the variant that has the massive center arm rest instead of middle passenger space at the back.
The Jag seats 3 at the back. Frankly, I prefer a 3 seat config even though the middle passenger is mighty uncomfy. But having sat in the launch edition S that has two seats at the back and my regular S that seats 3, I felt barely any diff in the comfort once the hand rest is pulled down. I would expect the two seat config to have wider seats but it doesn't hence it seems like a pointless sacrifice of the middle seat.
Quote:
To make a CBU available the company must hold some inventory. In this case the inventory holding cost is extremely high for an engine that might sell a handful at max if lucky. Moreover, customers with the big bucks to buy the big engine do not ever want to wait. So if the car ain't in stock, they will take their business to another brand that has a powerful engine in stock.

The XJ and A8 can try to compete but they are mere spectators to the 2016 battle of the S v/s 7. Bring it on!
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 12:52   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Very nice, very classy. In terms of styling, I think it's one of the best luxury cars around. Love the new headlamps.

But in a segment that thrives on technology & freshness, the 7 year old XJ is simply too old. It can't hold a candle to the new S-Class. The all-new (and immensely quirky) BMW 7-Series is also just around the corner. Jaguar has no answer...the 5th generation XJ is a long time away.

Quote:
Although I love the XJ, I'm sad that they are no longer offering a supercharged Petrol, why would it cost them to have it on order as a CBU anyways?
Not much, but no one was buying it. It was also a finicky engine in terms of maintenance & upkeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
The 2 liter petrol is only available in top-spec Portfolio trim, makes for a good option for fleet cars
Especially the parent's hotel group . You'll always see a fleet of XJs outside the Taj, ready to ferry the hotel's guests around.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 18:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Updated Jaguar XJ launched at Rs. 98.03 lakh

Agree, this is a superb car in terms of styling. With these engines it is seriously underpowered. My old Supercharged V8 XJR can ran rings around these new models.

Not sure about India, but in the USA and Europe driving a Jaguar will put you way above the Mercedes And BMW crowd. Never mind the actual performance or specifications. Many people, many of them who have no particular interest in cars, will when asked their opinion, rate anybody with a Jaguar "considerably above" Mercedes and BMW drivers. Whatever that might mean.

Top Gear did an interesting topic on this:

The number of people that used to approach me in the USA when I pulled up in my XJR was quite amazing. Everybody always wanted to know all the details, take pictures etc.

Give it a few more years and you can start snapping up the latest XJ series for half the price of a new VW Polo. Somehow that old school gentlemen attraction also has these car depreciate at breath taking speed. It outperforms the Mercedes, BMW , Audi's by a very large margin, but in the wrong way.

Jeroen

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2016 at 10:11. Reason: Lets not overly generalize
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 03:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Agree, this is a superb car in terms of styling. With these engines it is seriously underpowered. My old Supercharged V8 XJR can ran rings around these new models.
Slightly true, in the olden days in Asia Jags were upper crest, however after a few years of ownership my dad and his friend Datu Gaffar Baba swapped for the benz. nothing new money, business heads and state heads need reliable cars, not Jags.

Today's Jag is no longer old school it's the new flavour of the nouveau riche metro confused species who do facials and have mani-pedis

Last edited by GTO : 31st January 2016 at 10:51. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
amitc7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 08:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

@GTO

Its a JAG . Its not a drivers car and for a passenger the feel of sitting in something that only few own and feeling elite, paying elite and exorbitant amount of money and knowing its not the greatest with respect to reliability and yet feel unique is a reason people buy Jag. There is BMW, there is Merc, and there is even Corvette for those american sports car loving segment and yet there is Jaguar.

Jaguar is always a car that will sell because this is not a Merc or BMW or anything. In fact i can exaggerate and say it is probably on the mayback, bentley owning feel. (Meaning i cant afford a BMW, and i settled for a Jetta).To me Jaguar in perception value is on the lower rung of those high end luxury segment. A segment below are the BMW, Merc etc in perception value.

Yes, my perception is exactly the same. I love the Merc S Class and its my most favorite care. Yet a Jaguar will definitely make me atleast look at it sitting inside that merc S class.
VW2010 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 10:56   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@GTO

Its a JAG . Its not a drivers car and for a passenger the feel of sitting in something that only few own and feeling elite, paying elite and exorbitant amount of money and knowing its not the greatest with respect to reliability and yet feel unique is a reason people buy Jag. There is BMW, there is Merc, and there is even Corvette for those american sports car loving segment and yet there is Jaguar.

Jaguar is always a car that will sell because this is not a Merc or BMW or anything. In fact i can exaggerate and say it is probably on the mayback, bentley owning feel. (Meaning i cant afford a BMW, and i settled for a Jetta).To me Jaguar in perception value is on the lower rung of those high end luxury segment. A segment below are the BMW, Merc etc in perception value.

Yes, my perception is exactly the same. I love the Merc S Class and its my most favorite care. Yet a Jaguar will definitely make me atleast look at it sitting inside that merc S class.

Well said! Nobody will notice when you drive one of the German trio. In essence just run of the mill luxurious cars. You rock up in a Jag, any Jag, people will come over and talk to you.
Old 1st February 2016, 10:11   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
They did have the 5.0 on sale here in the initial years, but its troublesome nature & gas-guzzling habit made it a non-seller.

Quote:
Many people, many of them who have no particular interest in cars, will when asked their opinion, rate anybody with a Jaguar "considerably above" Mercedes and BMW drivers. Whatever that might mean.
Quote:
Truly. The brand Jaguar has a certain sexiness to it - more so than the German trio.

Equally, in this class, what matters most is the product and the S-Class simply blows the XJ away. Forget the current generation, 10X more buyers (India & worldwide) put their money even on the W221 S-Class compared to the XJ (when it was newer).

Jaguar's brand is actually getting damaged by the poor reliability and their horrific after-sales service in India. Brand is one thing, but the product & ownership experience is what makes people sign on the dotted line....and come back when it's time to replace.

Where I think the brand will make a difference is in the upcoming XE. A lot of first-time luxury car owners will buy the XE on the badge alone.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 10:17   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@GTO

I just did the same day before yesterday. I was coming out of a shop when my eyes fell on a S500, a BMW 650i and a XJL D. Being a petrolhead, the petrol monsters should have been the centre of attention, after clearly registering the models. And yet, my eyes, my legs and my mind was fixated on the diesel Jag. And this, despite me seeing a XJL quite frequently in front of my office. Even an old XF catches the attention much better than a brand new 5 series. Such is the charm of a Jag. It certainly possesses oodles of aspirational factor, among the common men (non-petrolheads and a few like us)
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 08:32   #13
BHPian

Long and limber
The facelifted Jaguar XJ gets a new engine and infotainment system to keep up with the rapidly advancing luxury limousine pack
http://www.thehindu.com/features/met...cle8414323.ece
Attached Thumbnails
Updated Jaguar XJ launched at Rs. 98.03 lakh-jag.jpg  

virgopal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks