Team-BHP - Threatening Diesel Bans: Keep or Sell older car?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Threatening Diesel Bans: Keep or Sell older car? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/176449-threatening-diesel-bans-keep-sell-older-car-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeprevving (Post 3981539)
Then, the news of Kerala banning 10+ year old diesel has left me heart-broken. Why? I fear all states govt. including mine (Odisha) will follow the same rule blindly, just to show-off their concern for the society and the environment. Bhubaneswar, being listed at the top of the Smart City list doesn't help my case either. :Frustrati

My concern: My 15-yr old Indica DLS (2001). It has done 1,80,000kms and still going strong, no troubles whatsoever. Not a driver's car, but it has a special place in my heart. I always thought to keep it with me and use it forever, but it seems my dreams will come to an end soon.

I wonder, why should someone sell of his/her vehicle:

1) If it is maintained properly and kept in pristine condition.
2) Checked by RTO, and termed healthy for another 5 years.
3) If it clears the pollution check standards set by Govt.

I agree.

In the US, I've seen extremely well-maintained 20 year old vehicles plying on the roads.

Sadly, we have it in our mindset to *not* preserve things, and we are experts in destroying old things (this is seen in the way we maintain anything, be it roads, footpaths, streetlights, or vehicles; Just see a few YouTube clips from 1950's and 60's and see how lovely our cities used to look in those days. In contrast, just see any Hollywood movie from the 1960s and even today in 2017, you will see some things unchanged, such as the way footpaths were constructed then and now, the way a postbox looked then and now, etc).

This mindset of "its ok to destroy" has then been carried forth by the babudom to be extended to privately owned cars too (amongst other vehicles), not realizing that privately owned cars are often maintained very well. Of course, there are exceptions.

Instead of a blanket ban, they should require an annual RTO check along with a decal sticker system as in the US, etc so that the the decal sticker is easily visible from 10 meters away for any peace officer (cops) to check. (but of course, knowing our public, someone would then figure out to make fake decal stickers!)

Its possible that this ban is also a result of the SIAM lobby, to increase vehicle sales. But I dread to think of the disposal menace. Where would the outgoing cars be junked? I dont see our cities having space for junkyards, nor a system in place for manufacturers to buy back junk for scrap value or whatever and smelt and recycle them, etc. Sad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vharihar (Post 4216124)
....Instead of a blanket ban, they should require an annual RTO check along with a decal sticker system......

Though I sympathize with all members who love their old diesel cars (my Scorpio is an immaculate 2004 non-CRDE model which I love dearly), the above observation I feel, is misplaced optimism.

It is so easy to bye-pass RTO regs. concerning pollution (just recall how many times one actually faces an emission check with a sensor up the tail pipe at a PUC check van, as against the casual exchange of a 100 rupee note for a brand new PUC-checked sticker for the wind-shield - I have Lucknow, UP in mind) that one doesn't give a thought before going in for a check.

In order to enforce anti-pollution checks in India, the mind-set of the decades-ingrained tendency to opt for easy short-cuts at the interface of public/babu-dom, must first be permanently erased. This is why we have the planet's largest list of civil regulations/laws with zero enforcement - starting from anti-littering & anti-nuisance (read public urination/defecation) rules to the more serious ones like the million loop-holes in our real-estate acquisition/disposal/construction bye-laws.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashanka (Post 4218909)

It is so easy to bye-pass RTO regs. concerning pollution (just recall how many times one actually faces an emission check with a sensor up the tail pipe at a PUC check van, as against the casual exchange of a 100 rupee note for a brand new PUC-checked sticker for the wind-shield - I have Lucknow, UP in mind) that one doesn't give a thought before going in for a check.

Quite surprised to read this actually. In the past 10-15 years never once have I done (or even offered) PUC test without sensor up the tail pipe. I am speaking about Kerala and Karnataka. Seems to be an issue to be dealt at your place. Or may be I never requested them :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 (Post 4225197)
Quite surprised to read this actually. In the past 10-15 years never once have I done (or even offered) PUC test without sensor up the tail pipe. I am speaking about Kerala and Karnataka. Seems to be an issue to be dealt at your place. Or may be I never requested them :D

All too true! Each time I have to request them to carry out an actual up-the-tail-pipe check. They are quite used to the other kind - casual exchange, one for the other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 (Post 4225197)
I am speaking about Kerala and Karnataka. Seems to be an issue to be dealt at your place. Or may be I never requested them :D

Can be easily done in Tamil Nadu. They will do a formality check only if you take the vehicle .

Instead you can take a photo of the vehicle and give it to them , they will issue PUC without any checking.

The cops don't check for PUC here. So it's not a big deal. Anyways the reports even when checked show pollution level at 10-20% of the maximum limit.

What are the rules in Karnataka?

Our 2009 Swift Diesel will complete 10 years in another couple of years. Would have to plan now, if this rule is going to be implemented here.

Hi Guys,

I have a Honda City 2017 V-MT and a Swift Vdi (July’2013).

Swift has run 68000 kms. The car is not driven much now, just 400-500 kms a month mostly for school pick-up and drop of my kid and occasionally going to Delhi once or twice a month.

Now with such a low running, it does not make sense to keep a diesel car but the car is 10/10 in looks and functionality and absolute pleasure to drive even on highways (with 185/70/R14 tyres). The car has zero issues. I absolutely did not feel any brake issue also with wider tyres as it is commonly said about lower variants of Swift. So, I don’t mind keeping it as long as it runs but since it is 6 years old now and every year it is going to depreciate very fast (10 year Diesel car rule for NCR). I think I should be able to sell it for Rs.3.25L to Rs.3.50L now (correct me if I am wrong).

Does it make sense to sell it now and buy a pre-owned Petrol 2014 onwards Swift/Grand i10/Elite i20 (only 3 cars acceptable, maybe Jazz but we don’t get them much in pre-owned segment and in my budget of 3.5 – 4.0L)?

What is your opinion guys?

My take:

1. Do sell the Swift.
2. Don't buy another car yet - save that money for now.

3. Use Ola/Uber liberally for second car needs.
4. Buy a small EV whenever it comes for short commute needs, with the appreciated money that you saved in (2).

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_libran (Post 4538015)
2. Don't buy another car yet - save that money for now.

3. Use Ola/Uber liberally for second car needs.

Thanks.

School drop / pick up is done by my wife and it is not possible to use OLA/Uber 6 days a week (6th day some other class).

So, we need a second car.

Since you live in Gurgaon, is it possible to re-register this car under Haryana jurisdiction and get a HR number plate?

Because I see many HR registered old Scorpios and similar old SUVs plying freely in delhi. I've never seen these cars being stopped and questioned by traffic personnel. While Delhi registered old Innovas are stopped a lot!

And we know this 10 year rule won't be applicable in Haryana for a long time as it is not so congested like Delhi. Then you can keep your car for years to come!

Ok - In that case, getting rid of a faster depreciating vehicle and picking up another pre-depreciated vehicle, which latter will depreciate slower, might make some sense, but only if the additional risk (unknown vehicle) works out in your favour. All in all, it might be a no win-no lose scenario, but you'll need to undergo a lot more hassle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_libran (Post 4538027)
Ok - In that case, getting rid of a faster depreciating vehicle and picking up another pre-depreciated vehicle, which latter will depreciate slower, might make some sense, but only if the additional risk (unknown vehicle) works out in your favour. All in all, it might be a no win-no lose scenario, but you'll need to undergo a lot more hassle.

But you know, Mr. Mukesh likes his swift and it's a reliable car too. Them diesels don't come cheap if you buy new, and buying used is no good too due to 10 years rule.

The benefit is that he gets to keep his reliable and trustworthy steed for a long time!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rshrey22 (Post 4538025)
is it possible to re-register this car under Haryana jurisdiction and get a HR number plate?

Swift is with HR-26 number but this 10 year Diesel car rule is not just for Delhi but for whole NCR including Gurgaon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_libran (Post 4538027)
Ok - In that case, getting rid of a faster depreciating vehicle and picking up another pre-depreciated vehicle, which latter will depreciate slower, might make some sense, but only if the additional risk (unknown vehicle) works out in your favour.

I can wait for a reliable car deal (Team-BHP classified by a BHPian???) for a few months, buy a a reliable car then sell Swift. What do you say?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mukeshgoel (Post 4538029)
I can wait for a reliable car deal (Team-BHP classified by a BHPian???) for a few months, buy a a reliable car then sell Swift. What do you say?

Will not recommend this at all.

1) First things first, check what value you are actually getting currently. Try Cars24 and/or OLX store auction - and then add 10-20% to that depending upon the condition of the car, OBV online value - reflects an optimistic figure usually. That way you will have a better picture of what you might get immediately. Will help in deciding if it is worth keeping it or not. I know you are estimating something under 3.5L, but reality might be different actually. Doesn't hurt to spend a few hours to check the real offers going on.

2) Do not buy first and then sell later. You might get stuck with three cars with two not getting used well to their price. Also, if the sale happens a bit late and you don't get a good value then, you might just end up taking a bigger hit than needed in order to dispose the car.

3) Sell Swift now after checking the value - since this is not your daily drive and also not something that you use for pleasure extensively. Now is the right time to sell. Next buyer will have a decent period to run it. You can easily get a good petrol car (many options in NCR market) and the longevity will be better for the same. For the expected price, you might actually get a good 2012-2014 Honda City AT. Will be a good upgrade for sure :) Ofcourse, having two cars of the same make+model might not be a personal favorite option, you can easily check better options. And the low running will help with keeping the running costs low.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mukeshgoel (Post 4538020)
Thanks.

School drop / pick up is done by my wife and it is not possible to use OLA/Uber 6 days a week (6th day some other class).

So, we need a second car.

How I wish Tata marketed Nano as a cute little car. Right use case for this little one. Would recommend you to trade in Swift for a used Nano probably with the power steering. You can use the remaining money for the petrol.