Team-BHP - Overdrive's hatchback track test - Figo 1.5 diesel quickest!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Overdrive's hatchback track test - Figo 1.5 diesel quickest! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/176587-overdrives-hatchback-track-test-figo-1-5-diesel-quickest-4.html)

It's sad certain manufacturers only think about fuel economy when they launch their car. After the last incident with Jazz, I guess Honda had no choice but to retain the 1.2. The jazz gets the 1.5 in other Asian markets which makes 120 horses and from the videos I've seen on YouTube, apparently it's a hoot to drive!

Quote:

Originally Posted by createrkid (Post 3984961)
It's sad certain manufacturers only think about fuel economy when they launch their car. After the last incident with Jazz, I guess Honda had no choice but to retain the 1.2. The jazz gets the 1.5 in other Asian markets which makes 120 horses and from the videos I've seen on YouTube, apparently it's a hoot to drive!

I think you have the Indian Govt. to thank for that. If you go above 1.2L for petrols, the excise duty is higher.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3984951)
The Jazz petrol has different gear ratios vs the Brio i.e. taller ratios in the interest of better mileage. This completely kills low down performance and you really need to wring that engine to get some decent acceleration.

What's your take on the diesel Jazz? It was the only other 100ps hatchback on test along with the Figo, had a nice power to weight advantage over the Baleno and Elite i20, but still ended up more than a second slower compared to the others and three seconds slower to the Figo.

Gearing still to blame? Or is it the chassis?

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftdiesel (Post 3984939)
The results aren't surprising and this further proves the ace turbo diesel engines have over petrols. A normal turbo diesel engine, properly tuned, can easily take on performance petrols. A strong low end and explosive mid range can leave many petrols in the dust and that's exactly what's happened here.

I actually would've loved to see how the Figo diesel fared against the S-Cross 1.6 and VW Polo 1.5 GTD.

You certainly have chosen not to read the other comments here discussing why haven't you? :D "A normal turbo diesel engine, properly tuned, can easily take on performance petrols" woah plonk a manual in the 1.5 duratec figo, 1.2 tsi Polo, and better gearbox in the Punto Abarth, and these "performance" petrols will wipe the floor with the diesels. Taking on weedy economy oriented petrols like the 1.2K series is one thing but taking on performance petrols would require them to have a huge disadvantage at their end ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3984951)
Actually I expected the Jazz to be atleast better than the elite i20 petrol but even that was a whole second quicker.

I expected the same too and that is what surprised me in this test. I believe for all that Honda connect and steering feel and extra power (diesel), the i20 still has a more balanced chassis. Can never be sure about this till I have properly driven the Jazz but that is what I suspect.

OD says all cars had the same JK Tyres, then what does this comment in the Figo section mean "Despite smaller and narrower tyres than the rest, the car grips surprisingly well."

Quote:

Originally Posted by samaspire (Post 3985234)
OD says all cars had the same JK Tyres, then what does this comment in the Figo section mean "Despite smaller and narrower tyres than the rest, the car grips surprisingly well."

The stock tyre spec of each car varies. JK brand tyres were used to replace stock tyres but they would not have changed the tyre spec, as in dia/profile/width.

Guys, as part of a forum such as TBHP, we must always respect & appreciate engineering accomplishments by automobile manufacturers. Lets accept one thing first, sans for the 1.4 T-jet Engine, bigger rims, all the loud stickerings, etc, this is not the "TRUE" Abarth. And its more to do with our Indian road conditions that is to be blamed rather than Fiat.

So give it or take it, the Figo & Abarth are pretty much on the same level when it comes to chassis & dynamics. Neither of them are as great as their respective predecessors. So that leaves us with that Engine & Gearbox. Though Abarth has Figo TDCI beaten in the engine department, that 1.5 TDCI engine is a gem and any gearbox in the modern hatch is better than one on Fiats!!

This test does not prove that Abarth is a lesser hot hatch than a Figo TDCI. I think it only showcases the biggest flaw of the Abarth - Gearbox.

In any case, OD probably heard/read some "Unimpressed" members post I guess and now have this video, fresh of the track!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxrnQ5bRi8

Not sure if they were trying to impress anybody or were doing a shoddy post video editing, but the Torque of the Polo TSI is captured as 212 Nm lol:

OT - Baleno 1.2 VTVT was only 3/10th slower than GT TSI and all this with just 84bhp. Wondering what can the booster-jet engine do to this car if and when launched :Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftdiesel (Post 3984939)
The results aren't surprising and this further proves the ace turbo diesel engines have over petrols.

You've got to be kidding. Ever heard of a diesel super car? Diesels are crude and loud and not enthusiast cars and this test doesn't change anything. And I will believe these numbers when all cars are run stock everything and for a longer lap with a different driver. In this scenario I don't think any of them would beat the Abarth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vik0728 (Post 3985260)
So OD probably heard/read some "Unimpressed" members post I guess and now have this video, fresh of the track!! :D

Looks like they are releasing the episodes on TV first and then web. Diesel comparo is yet to be released.
No surprises with the petrols, except I guess the last position of Jazz compared to the Elite as many including me didn't expect Hyundai to better the game so much despite the power to weight disadvantage. But the chassis seems to make up for it.

These results are very hard for me to digest, a Figo being faster than the Punto Abarth just does not seem to make any sense. I understand that there's problems with the gearbox and that causes a delay in downshifting, plus the tyres have been replaced with JK tyres, etc.

But seriously, what do these tests really prove? Do they mean that a Figo will outrun an Abarth in the real world? If no, then whats the point of these tests?

Seems to be another one of those meaningless things we do, with no applicability in the real world.

Wow never thought Ford Figo Diesel will take the top spot and Polo GT TSI left to bite the dust.

I hope Ford saw these results and is going to do some marketing off it, with dismal sales they need every piece of good news.

Regarding DSG gearbox not down-shifting in manual mode on high speeds - that means unlike manual gearbox we can't use automatics for engine braking. Is this true for all AT with manual mode?

I think this is the kind of test which would show the real world capabilities of a car which has to be driven on mostly 2 lane roads, no road sense traffic everywhere, even the 1 stretch of 4 lane highway filled with mad traffic, etc. All of the above deacribes the roads in Gods own country. A drag race test means nothing on the roads here because you almost never get such a space. A normal hatch back can keep a premium sedan much above by price/power/class etc. very much at sight when on such roads. That is when a customer feels betrayed going by the specs on sheet. Where as this test with twisties requiring frequent braking and down shifts shows very well what you can expect in real world scenario mentioned above. Numbers and drag races speak what the car is capable of, given you have the space/roads to unleash its potential. Apart from express ways and 4-6 lane highways, which many of us are not frequent on, those numbers and specs can be deceiving. If there is one thing this test proves, I think this is it.

Brand biased arguments rather than seeing the point.. endless and useless IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj (Post 3985362)
I think this is the kind of test which would show the real world capabilities of a car which has to be driven on mostly 2 lane roads, no road sense traffic everywhere, even the 1 stretch of 4 lane highway filled with mad traffic, etc.

True. And on such roads, the modern turbo diesels with their amazing mid range punch feels much faster to drive as compared to petrols which produce all their power higher up in the revv range, specially the NA petrols.

As per them, Punto has weak suspension and not a good handler :Frustrati. That fellow thinks Baleno is awesome around corners! Now I dont doubt his judgement as a driver but then this is something very hard to digest!!

Putting same tyres on all cars is another joke these guys pulled up! Changing oil is ok but then why play with tyres when the manf has put thousands of KMs testing a suitable set of rubber for the kind of suspension/composer of the car?

More or less looks like a whoever pays, Wins the competition kind of antics to me!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxh (Post 3985273)
You've got to be kidding. Ever heard of a diesel super car?

Hmm, yes, Audi R8 V12 TDI. I also remember it winning the gruelling Le Mans usually dominated by petrols.