Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2016, 12:48   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai imports a Grand i10 1.2L diesel - More powerful version coming?

A search on Zauba reveals that Hyundai Motor India has recently imported a single unit of the more powerful diesel version of the Grand i10 into our country for R&D purposes.

The said imported unit (codenamed "BA", which is for Grand i10) is powered by a 1.2L TCI oil burner powertrain mated to a manual gearbox, most probably a 5-speed one.

Hyundai imports a Grand i10 1.2L diesel - More powerful version coming?-untitled.gif

Whether this all-new diesel will replace the existing 1.1L U2 CRDi unit powering the current-gen Grand i10 (and the XCent), or will be offered separately as a performance variant by Hyundai, remains to be seen.

Zauba
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 13:40   #2
AYP
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai imports a Grand i10 1.2L diesel - More powerful version coming?

There was a similar report on the forum sometime back stating that Hyundai may launch the Xcent facelift with a bigger 1200cc engine. I won't be surprised if they choose to plonk the same engine in the Grand i10, so as to compete with the better and more powerful 1.3 MJD.

Last edited by AYP : 8th July 2016 at 13:42.
AYP is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 01:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
A search on Zauba reveals that Hyundai Motor India has recently imported a single unit of the more powerful diesel version of the Grand i10 into our country for R&D purposes.

The said imported unit (codenamed "BA", which is for Grand i10) is powered by a 1.2L TCI oil burner powertrain mated to a manual gearbox, most probably a 5-speed one.

Whether this all-new diesel will replace the existing 1.1L U2 CRDi unit powering the current-gen Grand i10 (and the XCent), or will be offered separately as a performance variant by Hyundai, remains to be seen.

Zauba
Great Catch !
But please help me clear this doubt I have : The Import value of the cars usually imported are closer to the ex showroom prices (20-40% less) so any particular reason why it could be so inflated here ?
Old 10th July 2016, 03:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Import value of the cars usually imported are closer to the ex showroom prices (20-40% less) so any particular reason why it could be so inflated here ?
No, on contrary Ex-Showroom prices of CBU ( Complete Built Unit ) is about 3 times the assessable value that we see at zauba due to over 200 % Import duties.

Reason for high value for this particular costs can be cost of Air Freight that gets added to basic value for calculation of custom Duties.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 13:53   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai imports a Grand i10 1.2L diesel - More powerful version coming?

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

For a hatchback that's otherwise so premium, the Grand i10 could certainly do with more power. From the Accent CRDi to the Verna, Hyundai's diesels have usually been the most powerful in their respective segments. The Grand i10 is an exception to that rule. Its performance is 'adequate', yes, but could definitely use a beefier engine.

Here's another thought - what are the odds of this 1.2L being a proper 4-cylinder? The current 3-cylinder diesel is acceptably refined, yet it's not butter-smooth like their 1.4L & 1.6L diesels.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 01:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
No, on contrary Ex-Showroom prices of CBU ( Complete Built Unit ) is about 3 times the assessable value that we see at zauba due to over 200 % Import duties.

Reason for high value for this particular costs can be cost of Air Freight that gets added to basic value for calculation of custom Duties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
But please help me clear this doubt I have :The Import value of the cars usually imported are closer to the ex showroom prices (20-40% less) so any particular reason why it could be so inflated here ?
I think I may have phrased my question wrongly, the correct one would be:

(Generally) the Import value of the cars usually imported (for R&D purposes/unlike For Sale CBU's) is closer to the ex showroom prices (20-40% less)(of the Indian make models already sold here) so any particular reason why it could be so inflated in this case ?

And I think you are definitely right on the Air Freight point for excessive value. Thanks for the information.

Last edited by Jag4 : 13th July 2016 at 01:51.
Old 23rd January 2017, 18:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Confirmed: 1.2L diesel for Hyundai Grand i10

Thank you to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

The Hyundai Grand i10 will soon come with a 1.2-litre diesel engine. This new power plant is likely to replace the existing 1.1-litre CRDi unit. Since Hyundai is expected to launch the Grand i10 facelift in the near future, we can expect the new engine to be introduced with it.

Sources suggest that the new diesel engine will still be a 3-cylinder unit, but will now displace 1.2-litre. Currently, the Grand i10 diesel is powered by a 1.1-litre (1,120 cc) 3-cylinder engine that churns out 70 BHP and 160 Nm of torque. The increase in engine displacement will result in a minor hike in the output figures as well. The new Grand i10 diesel is likely to develop power and torque figures similar to that of the current-gen Swift, which is rated at 74 BHP and 190 Nm.

Hyundai had imported a single unit of the Grand i10 with the larger 1.2-litre engine last year. The car was imported for R&D purposes and came with a manual gearbox.

In addition to the new diesel engine, the Grand i10 facelift is expected to come with cosmetic updates on the outside. The car will also get an integrated touchscreen infotainment system on the top-end variants.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 23rd January 2017 at 18:24.
dZired is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 18:34   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Confirmed: 1.2L diesel for Hyundai Grand i10
Previous 1.1L engine was the chopped, 1-cylinder less version of the 1.4L diesel of the Hyundai i20.

This 3-cylinder, 1.2 diesel is a chopped, 1-cylinder less version of the 1.6L diesel of the Hyundai Verna/Creta.

Will be shared with the all-new XCent sedan as well.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 23rd January 2017 at 18:36.
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 09:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Any reason why the otherwise quality conscious Hyundai is resorting to 3 pot motors in the era of 4 pot. If they are comparing the performance with 1248 CC Fiat sourced MJD used by MSIL; on paper it might but the actual performance will be inferior due to one less cylinder. I have recently travelled in a Xcent diesel (fleet car) and it had significant vibrations at idling. The ODO was at 93K approx., whereas I have travelled in Dzire n number of times and they don't vibrate whatever may be the ODO reading.

Also the erstwhile Verna motor 1493CC which was there in the first generation is no where to be seen these days; it was a gem of motor, punchy and reliable. They should bring it back and keep 4 pot as standard for their diesel lineup

1.4 Litre for i10Grand
1.5 Litre for i20Elite
1.6 Litre for Verna, Creta, Elantra

That will give them an edge over competition, though personally I believe that Elantra should be given a 2.0 Litre mill as it plays in D Segment

Last edited by i74js : 24th January 2017 at 09:18.
Old 24th January 2017, 10:34   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for going OT. Has this move by Hyundai, got anything to do with the initial success of Tiago? Is Hyundai trying to increase the perceived value of the Gi10? Or they could be making space for another entry level diesel car, maybe the new Santro.

Last edited by ashis89 : 24th January 2017 at 10:35. Reason: Spell check
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed