Team-BHP - July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/178231-july-2016-ngt-tells-delhi-deregister-all-diesel-vehicles-over-10-years-old.html)

Effective immediately NGT has directed Delhi RTO to ban and deregister all vehicles older than 10 years irrespective of engine size. This means even a swift with the 1.3 diesel engine which is 11 years old is illegal to drive in the delhi city.

Source. - ET-

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/53262736.cms

Mods - Merge if similar thread found.

Now this is interesting. Already the authorities impound a few thousand (3000 to be exact) and released them. Without a proper directive on what needs to be the set limits / a proper buy back (the cash for clunkers scheme) this looks totally absurd and beyond any rational.

Appreciate the thought in bringing change to cut back pollution, but all needs to be in phased manner. I guess there would be close to a lakh or more vehicles (CV, autos, cars, SUVs, and every thing on wheels). What will they do with all these vehicles?? (impound them in the owners place itself!!) If the RTO de registers, will the current owners be able to sell them? Then the NGT should also have directed authorities to provide a proper and fair vehicle scrapping scheme as well.

This is totally unwarranted and lacks complete sense. I am totally in favour of bringing stricter norms and vehicle ban rules to cut pollution, but with foresight and complete practicality.

How about they start returning the 5 years of road tax first which is paid extra while collecting road tax of 15 years.

Most illogical and uneducated government ever in Indian history.

Quote:

Originally Posted by humyum (Post 4017483)
How about they start returning the 5 years of road tax first which is paid extra while collecting road tax of 15 years.

Most illogical and uneducated government ever in Indian history.

Not the Govt. its the independent NGT that's passed the order.

Illogical decision none the less. :deadhorse

This is not a fair decision for people who have paid tax for 15 years. People who have maintained their vehicles in good condition will also lose faith in the system. These arbitrary and knee jerk decisions should be avoided by NGT.

What an outrageous decision. So according to them, my Palio that has done just 38k kilometre in 8 years, is worse than a indica taxi that has done 3 lac kilometre in 5 years. The ill-maintained indica can run and continue to pollute another 5 years, while my palio in pristine condition will be scrapped for metal. No words to express the idiocy of these people.

Rule of using vehicles within 10 years of age has already been applied while getting permit to Rohtang Pass, Himachal Pradesh. Check here for more info: http://admis.hp.nic.in/ngtkullu/Home/InformatoryScreen

Instead of implementing proper PUC check, the whole burden has been put back on buyers. PUC check every 6 month should be phased out immediately which itself is a big scam.

Why cant these panels provide other options like replacing engine and other components (due to wear and tear) responsible for increasing emission. This will be a relief to many people who usually like to keep their vehicles for 10-15 years.

Placing ban is very easy for the authorities as it will decrease their work load and in turn provides more money by collecting road tax . Banks should be really happy as car loan applications will increase without doubt. Buyers are never going to enjoy emi free times for long duration if this panel start suggesting ban on 10 yr old petrol cars . Implementing new innovative ideas is something which we can never dream about from these "obsolete" panels.

I am still skeptical about car manufacturers whether the general category of people will still buy high end cars or settle down with smaller hatchbacks if the government keeps introducing new rules as and when they think

@rahulskumar; Very true. The PUC check is a joke, and they want to blame the user in a purely arbitrary and irrational manner. I hope the SC or the HC will throw it out, but all are becoming equally ill informed activists.

Now I am in a total fix. I own a Fiesta Diesel which was purchased in 2006 and have clocked around 1.2 lakh kms on the odo till date and I have never missed the service intervals. I was contemplating on buying a Creta Diesel. Although the NGT rule is not applicable in Bangalore at the moment, will it be wise for me to buy a diesel car again ? With the environment regulations changing, I am sure there will be a total ban on Diesel cars in a few years to come. Now I am totally confused what to do :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverblaze (Post 4017578)
Now I am in a total fix. I own a Fiesta Diesel which was purchased in 2006 and have clocked around 1.2 lakh kms on the odo till date and I have never missed the service intervals. I was contemplating on buying a Creta Diesel. Although the NGT rule is not applicable in Bangalore at the moment, will it be wise for me to buy a diesel car again ? With the environment regulations changing, I am sure there will be a total ban on Diesel cars in a few years to come. Now I am totally confused what to do :Frustrati

I think you should keep using your current fiesta till end of car life , wait for the final government decision before investing on a diesel car . Your running doesnt justify a diesel car anyways

I think it will take atleast 3-4 years for this rule to get implemented throughout India

This is heights of stupidity! Isn't it easier and less painful to all stake holders to have a proper verification and certification process for all vehicles? I now really doubt the technical as well as practical sensibility of the so called NGT!

Like someone mentioned what are they proposing to do with the road tax collected? Isn't it illegal to pass such a knee jerk order?

Most importantly what kind of statistics they have or considered before making such a ruling that such an order would work?

Utter rubbish i say.

The main effect they will have with this ban is that a large volume of old cars will end up in the tier 2 and tier 3 cities, taking the "pollution" along with them. Perhaps all cities in India become evenly "polluted".

I hope there is a some sensible follow up and stringent PUC checks are implemented. A ill-running 10 year old petrol is not so "clean" as one might think.

As a person who has recently purchased an XUV500 (in Bangalore), this so called refund of 5 years of road tax (if implemented) is of little consequence. I keep my vehicles for a long time, and in good condition. My 11 years old swift (petrol) still runs smooth, and passes the so called PUC tests. My bigger concern is: a) being forced to replace a vehicle within 10 years, whereas i could easily maintain one for 12- 15 yrs & b) reducing the resale value of my vehicle. I will lose more than what i will get refunded via road tax, and get as scrap value for my XUV.

I am in a Fix, Or, Should I say I am too eager to press the panic button now. I purchased Ecosport Diesel last year and have covered 20k KM's in last 13 Months. Looking at the diesel's dismal future and low resale value for my car I am thinking about selling it. Would it be wise to do so, or wait ?

If I do hold it, will it be possible to sell the car outside the NCR in future ? What would be the implications for doing the same ?