Team-BHP - Rumour: Audi to launch A4 1.4L TFSI. EDIT: Q3 too
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Rumour: Audi to launch A4 1.4L TFSI. EDIT: Q3 too (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/178531-rumour-audi-launch-a4-1-4l-tfsi-edit-q3-too-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shibujp (Post 4040346)
Doesn't VW already have a 1.4 TFSI(EA 111) that they use in the VW Jetta. Is this engine different from that? Specs seem the same and that engine is already homologated. Do they need to homologate each engine separately in every car they use it in?

I think the particular 1.4TFSI engine in the Q3 (though Q3 is not yet MQB based) is the newer EA211 series engine, similar to the one doing duties currently in the Octavia and upcoming A4. Octavia runs a slightly lower state of tune (140PS / Engine code CHPA), compared to Q3 (150PS / Engine code CHPB). I am not aware how homologation works for similar engines in different state of tunes.

Edit: The Zauba screenshot of the Q3 which has arrived for homologation shows engine number starting with 'CZD', so possibly the newer EA211 1.4TSI with Cylinder on Demand tech also. Below is a video of how the 2nd and 3rd cylinders are deactivated for low load scenario.
1.4TFSI Cylnder on Demand

Going forward, especially with VW planning to ditch 1.8TSI to focus on 1.4TSI & 2.0TSI engines (as Ajmat has stated in another thread), I expect to see more of the 1.4 TSI engines in India, possibly in the Superb and A3 as well.

-- Avinash

[', so possibly the newer EA211 1.4TSI with Cylinder on Demand tech also. Below is a video of how the 2nd and 3rd cylinders are deactivated for low load scenario.
[

I don't think the petrol engines will be anywhere near the diesel in fuel economy terms , if they introduce the diesel with cylinder deactivation that would be a really frugal car.

https://youtu.be/4HULcIccKHk this video looks quiet convincing as far as performance is concerned! Have a look! But it's an A3 Let's see how it performs in an A4.

2016 Audi A4 India launch scheduled for September 8

Audi India has officially announced 8th September, 2016 as the launch date of the next-gen A4 sedan.

The Audi A4 will initially be launched only with a petrol engine, while a diesel variant will be introduced on a later date. The petrol 2016 Audi A4 will be powered a 1.4-litre, turbocharged, four-cylinder engine, which, in international markets, develops around 148 BHP and 250 Nm of torque. This engine will likely be mated to a 7-speed S-tronic automatic transmission.

Once launched, the new A4 will compete against the likes of the BMW 3 Series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class, and Jaguar XE.

Link to Team-BHP News

Slightly OT:
With this onslaught of models and smaller petrol engines, the entry level prices would come down further I believe. If true, this would further dilute these 3 German brands. Since typical buyers look at the brand than the VFM proposition of these products, dilution of the brand presence might not be so good. This may not go down well with buyers who used to look at exclusivity.
On the other hand, this should boost the volumes for the manufacturers and the dealers alike, keeping them happy.

Another OT doubt. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, wasn't the base Q3 with manual GB a success, with a lot of over-booking in the initial few months? If yes, then did it fail to sell later (falling demand)? Why did Audi pull the plug on it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 4045689)
Slightly OT:
With this onslaught of models and smaller petrol engines, the entry level prices would come down further I believe. If true, this would further dilute these 3 German brands. Since typical buyers look at the brand than the VFM proposition of these products, dilution of the brand presence might not be so good. This may not go down well with buyers who used to look at exclusivity.
On the other hand, this should boost the volumes for the manufacturers and the dealers alike, keeping them happy.

Well up until now the big three have resorted to increasing prices across the segment to accommodate mid-life refreshes and next-generation launches. So if you think about it, the prices have not really been reduced. The 3-series/new X1 is still a pretty exclusive car to purchase/own and the same perception only gains strength as one moves up to higher segments and the products there-in.

What will redefine status quo in this segment is the pricing of the new A4. Up until now, the entire Audi brand was perceived to be accessible only to the uber-rich/corporate buyers by a majority of car owners in the country.
However, if Audi prices this well and on the merit of the product (read, markedly lesser than the 320i which starts around 37 lacs for the base variant, discounts not considered) more people might consider it. Which would be good for everybody. It would increase sales - which is what the OEM wants at the end of the day. Brand dilution does happen, but it's extent would be limited because the remainder of the product range still remains aspirational for most, so present and future buyers do not feel short-changed.

What would break this product would be if Audi prices the 1.4l A4 on-par with the 320i, which would be an extremely stupid move and I don't think they would do it. It would basically mean an increase in 320i sales for BMW.

I feel this change is for the good. :thumbs up Want the brand experience but within a limited budget, pay less and accept a mediocre engine as a compromise. Want a great driving experience (as well as brand value) and have a fat wallet to go with it, pay more and you get what you pay for. :)

The A4 (1.4L petrol) pricing just got announced @ 38.10L !

Team-BHP's Audi A4 review is live. Please continue the discussion in the new thread.