Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2016, 17:15   #31
BHPian

Re: Skoda announces Prepaid Maintenance Packages, a new 4-year Standard Warranty & more

This is a great move by Skoda!
I recently had a worn out bearing in my 2015 Octy 1.8tsi run only 15k and it was replaced in two days at no cost (under warranty & part took about 20 days to arrive). None the less faster than any previous repair the warranty process was quick and the attitude of the SA as well as Manager was rather Positive.

I have not yet purchased the EW and hope existing 'new' Skoda owners can enjoy the benefits of a service/maintenance package just like BMW.
bhpbreather is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 17:58   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda announces Prepaid Maintenance Packages, a new 4-year Standard Warranty & more

I have been a Skoda customer for 10 years covering 2 cars and around 2.5 lakhs kms +. Excellent products - both my Laura and Superb were/are MT. However I have seen their service deteriorate downhill with determination. It has not been easy but the dealer has worked hard at it. Their new Superb is a product I would consider buying once it comes in a hybrid model. Till then unless they re-train and change (at least some) employees at their service centres I don't see this programme succeeding they way Skoda wishes it to. The customer experiences the car and the OEM through the hands and skills of the sales person and the service engineer. Till Skoda can change their attitudes and skills and put the fear of the OEM into the employees of the dealer their best efforts will yield only limited fruit.

The Manager of the centre I frequent is usually a demotivated harried soul who tries to hide behind his PC instead of being on the shop floor and with his customers. In a decade I have seen 7 managers rotate through.The so called 'customer relations manager' is someone who would fit perfectly as the P.R. officer of the Uttar Pradesh Jal Nigam Board - literally that's how bad they are. And I say this after 10 years of dealing with them and watching them. My best wishes to Skoda. I shall watch the reality change at ground zero.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 4th August 2016 at 18:01.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 18:26   #33
BHPian

How many initiatives Skoda has come up with? Did anything help change their brand image?

A year back, I was hunting for a new buy. I found Rapid the best car that I have tried in 9-12 Lakhs band. Power,Build,Features,Handling,Ride,etc are best in the price band. I just kept away from them due to the horror stories of the existing customers dealing with them. Some of my friends who were on car hunt felt the same way.

They probably may have improved but such is the bad reputation they have gathered. Unless they do something special to erase the bad past, their initiates will be in vein.

If they genuinely turn around, game on!

BTW, Volkswagen just made sure that Skoda is not alone :-)
sathya_g_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 20:06   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Their new Superb is a product I would consider buying once it comes in a hybrid model. .
Your dreams will become reality. The first hybrid car will be the Superb - due in 2017. Am not sure if it will come here. I guess Skoda will be watching the success of the Passat GTE first
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 20:17   #35
BHPian

How is same day delivery something to be proud of? So many manufacturers already do this.If a basic service like changing oil and filters and whatnot takes more than a day then you definitely need to reevaluate that sentence again. Or have I missed something? Also taking an appointment three days in advance, oh man, tell me a better joke please.

Last edited by createrkid : 4th August 2016 at 20:23.
createrkid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 22:07   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
2017 will see 4 new products from Skoda"
1) Octavia vRS (and it should be the 2.0 in a respectable state of tune too!)
2) Kodiaq (Skoda's 7-seater SUV. Expect a preliminary report from moderator Ajmat soon! Worldwide unveil on 1st September)
3) Undisclosed
4) Undisclosed
Earlier in July Volkswagen's road map showed Rapid for India. Isn't the third undisclosed product the Rapid facelift? And that leaves us with one undisclosed Skoda product for India.

Skoda announces Prepaid Maintenance Packages, a new 4-year Standard Warranty & more-capture.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 23:06   #37
BHPian

It is good that they are offering a standard warranty of 4 years, but what has to be seen is how they honor it? Because claiming warranty is definitely not something we could do with ease in the case of skoda India. Will you get any proof regarding the issue you have raised? If the so called app facilitates something like that it could be revolutionary in Indian automobile history. I wish the Govt. takes initiative in forming some authority like 'TRAI' or providing a common medium through which all post delivery complaints are registered.

This is from personal experience of owning a Fiat and Skoda (much better though). Lots of tricks are played by dealer folks to make us run from pillar to post. Its high-time the Govt. start doing something serious.

Last edited by GTO : 5th August 2016 at 15:06. Reason: Typos
swathyd is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th August 2016, 00:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
[i]

Anyone who bought a Skoda from 1st August 2016 onward can opt for this package. Earlier buyers will not be able to avail of this.

I suggested that it also be made available for existing customers on a pro-rated basis (even with a slight premium - because hey, the peace of mind is worth it). Skoda said they'd consider the feedback. Let's see what the general reception is from existing customers once these plans and pricing are announced
While I appreciate the efforts taken by Skoda to improve their after sales service experience, it makes me sad to know that Skoda has decided to provide this package only to those customers who bought the car after 1st August 2016. As an Octavia owner who bought the car in first week of June, I am yet to complete my first free check up at 6000 KMS but sadly can't avail the facility as I fall outside the cut off date.

Appreciate the input given to Skoda to provide all customers this package on a pro-rata basis and if accepted by Skoda, will go a long way in boosting the confidence of the customers in the product as well as in the company.

On a further note, how about suggesting Skoda to start a pre owned section of Skoda cars. If those cars are provided with an year warranty after carrying out an extensive check of the product, a lot many customers will have confidence to buy a pre worshipped Skoda. I believe this will go a long way in improving the resale and brand value of the car and Skoda themselves can benefit from the fact that, a lot many existing customers of Octavia/ Superb will return to upgrade to Superb/ Kodiaq when the time comes for an upgrade.
Scaryskodamenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 09:08   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
How is same day delivery something to be proud of? So many manufacturers already do this.If a basic service like changing oil and filters and whatnot takes more than a day then you definitely need to reevaluate that sentence again. Or have I missed something? Also taking an appointment three days in advance, oh man, tell me a better joke please.
To think of it, yes it is sad that in year 2016 a company needs to assure customers of same day delivery for basic service and still call it a revolutionary change. But the problem is given Skoda's track record, this is indeed revolutionary and still to be seen if its followed and adhered to. It is here that I don't understand how other car makers like Toyota and Maruti are able to return your car the same day even when there is additional service needed. Toyota promises 60 mins return for your car if the service is only a regular one. Although the real world times are different in Delhi as the workshop is extremely busy and they end up taking 2-3 hours unless you stand on their head. My experience in Vadodara was different though where they were actually able to adhere to the 1 hour promise with the biggest bottleneck being the washing part.

This same delivery promise is more of an effort to negate the general perception that the brand has earned for taking days at a stretch to service and return the car. I am sure most of the times even now regular servicing would be needing only a day. It is the additional work that takes time ( possibly due to spares not being in stock perhaps?).

As far as appointment is concerned, Toyota also encourages you to take prior appointment and come. Walk ins are usually looked down upon and servicing times are increased for the same. So I don't see any issues here. Infact one knows that their car's service in coming up and they can schedule an appointment for the same rather than just dropping in and expecting a streamlined and smooth experience.

Last edited by drmohitg : 5th August 2016 at 09:11.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 09:38   #40
BANNED

It looks like the second car may be the Fabia but isn't yet confirmed.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 09:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I shall watch the reality change at ground zero.
My thoughts exactly. At least you have a dealership to go to, the dealership in my town has shut shop with all customers left in the lurch. No signs of re-opening of a new dealership either. For routine maintenance also the company expects us to travel to another town and deal with unfamiliar people. Now the passenger side glass of my Skoda is not sliding up or down and I am thinking as to how to get it repaired. As the number of electrical connections in the door has me worried to go to a neighborhood denter. Until the dealer network is properly looked after all these talks of a Skoda revival, are just that, talks...

A great product let down by absolutely useless dealer network.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 5th August 2016 at 10:05.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 09:53   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

If I understand correctly at least for the Octavia, this new 4 year "Standard Warranty" will save ~23k and the 4 year RSA will save (~4.5 x 3) = ~ 13.5k.

Thus net loss is Rs. 37k for earlier buyers. While the amount is not a huge one, what is more important is that Skoda is showing confidence in its own brand and service.

At the very least, they should make the extra 3 years RSA free to all buyers of MY16 cars as well as offer the current 2 year EW at a concessional rate. My rationale is that MY16 cars are MY16 cars. Skoda has not suddenly changed quality, reliability parameters etc. such that only cars sold after 1 August 2016 are suddenly better built (extra 2 years free warranty) but more unreliable (extra 3 years RSA) :-)

Last edited by itwasntme : 5th August 2016 at 09:54. Reason: Grammar
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 10:34   #43
BANNED

I think Skoda have lost the faith of the punters. This is a good initiative, but a lot will depend on the dealership attitude. At the end of the dy, it is the bod on the ground who matters the most.
Old 5th August 2016, 10:43   #44
BHPian

Wow! awesome. When they say four year warranty are they referring to the time period they will take to respond to a warranty request?
Had a simple task of getting a extended warranty certificate which is paid for. Its a month of running behind them to get it and still no end in sight.
Caramba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 11:31   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

About time VAG woke up to the fact that the Skoda brand has tremendous cachet in India and exploited it to the hilt! These are good moves but as some members said, need to wait and watch because it's all in the execution.

It's good to know that Skoda is focusing on the one aspect that is perceived as their Achilles heel- pathetic service experience- because in terms of product spread and perceived value they should be OK. The Superb already competes with the S class (or at the very least the E and the 5) in terms of mindshare, and there's no reason to not expect the Kodiaq to be a Fortuner/Endeavour-beater.

Am in the market for a 30+ SUV in the next couple of years and will be watching how this turns out eagerly!
noopster is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks