Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2016, 11:16   #31
BANNED

re: City-wise Car Sales in India : April 2015 - March 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The numbers for the state of Kerala are alarming. We are talking about a state that is much smaller than Tamil Nadu. Considering the state has good public transport and inter town transport network via road, trains and a ferry service, this does come as a surprise. The road infrastructure is probably the worst too and by this I don't mean bad roads. There are no roads to support the volume of vehicles.
Now, talk about the Kerala model growth.

Compared to other states where the wealth is in the hands of a very limited number of people, Kerala has a more uniform wealth distribution.

The entire state can be considered as a big city, considering the distribution of facilities and smaller towns adjacent to bigger cities. A clear reason why road and infrastructure development in Kerala is an uphill task. In many other states, cities are surrounded by a vast area of vacant areas.

Add to that the number of people from Kerala working abroad who contribute handsomely to it.

Also, though Kerala is a much smaller state compared to neighboring states, the population density is very high. Kerala: 860/Sq KM, TN: 555/Sq KM, Karnataka: 320/Sq KM (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population)
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 11:20   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I think Toyota will sell a higher number of Etios and Innovas if they had a deeper presence. Not sure about honda. The others might not come close to Maruti if they develop their presence, but it will definitely improve sales to some extent at least.

I am not saying that geographical penetration is the only thing in favour of maruti. Its one of the most significant factors apart from brand image and reliability and ease of maintenance.
If presence was the only factor, isn't Hyundai not too far behind number Maruti in terms of numbers? And yet it is only around the half-way mark compared to Maruti's numbers.

I think it has to also do with one's product range across all segments.
Old 11th August 2016, 11:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Now, talk about the Kerala model growth.

Compared to other states where the wealth is in the hands of a very limited number of people, Kerala has a more uniform wealth distribution.
Similar is the case with Gujarat too, its the contribution from many cities/towns like Surat, Vadodara & Rajkot which is helping towards overall development of the state. Also good infrastructure is leading to relentless development.

Bangalore is the perfect example of single city state, no other city in KA is contributing to a healthy GDP, its high time it un-clutters and other towns need to start contibuting.
slamnos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 12:26   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing this!

Some insights - on the importance of dealer presence can be seen by the performance of Ford and Fiat. In Mumbai, both of these companies have very limited dealers (Ford has none in South Mumbai, and Fiat too is only in the distant suburbs) - and their market shares in these cities is severely impacted as compared to Pan India.

Secondly - it is surprising to note that Mumbai has the highest MPV sales, while the entry-hatch scene is on a decline in the market. This is surprising given the traffic and parking woes. Is this because the average commuter prefers to use public transport with the cars being used only on outstation trips?

It speaks a lot about the demographics of the citizens of these cities too - for instance Mumbai isn't in the top 10 for Low SUVs, but is consistently in first or second place for MPVs, Upper SUVs, etc.
Old 11th August 2016, 12:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Secondly - it is surprising to note that Mumbai has the highest MPV sales, while the entry-hatch scene is on a decline in the market. This is surprising given the traffic and parking woes. Is this because the average commuter prefers to use public transport with the cars being used only on outstation trips?
One possible reason could be, given the parking issues for multiple cars in Mumbai, people might be adapting bigger (7-8 seater) per family, instead of 2-3 cars strategy followed in Delhi & Bangalore.

The non-usage of 2nd/3rd car in Mumbai could be aided by better public transport access in most parts of the city & the bigger family car could be used in full capacity for outstation trips or similar usage.
slamnos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 13:44   #36
cdo

Re: City-wise Car Sales in India : April 2015 - March 2016

Hey Slamnos. Awesome insights that you shared. Is there any chance you can direct me to where I can get this raw data, or any excel file that can be accessed to deep dive a little further?

I have been hunting this data to pair with the motor insurance industry but just not getting anything as useful as what you have shared.
Old 11th August 2016, 14:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdo View Post
Is there any chance you can direct me to where I can get this raw data
Hi CDO, raw data would be difficult to fetch, its unavailable in any portal and has very limited access.

Let me know what you need specifically, I shall try and share if data is available.
slamnos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 15:02   #38
cdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post
Hi CDO, raw data would be difficult to fetch, its unavailable in any portal and has very limited access.

Let me know what you need specifically, I shall try and share if data is available.
Thanks for the reply. Same data that you posted, but slightly deeper. I'm looking for data on city wise sales vs manufacturer contribution for top 50 cities. Ideally in excel format or anything that I can extract.

I am trying to tie that up with claims assessment and loss-ratios for individual car insurers.
Old 11th August 2016, 16:11   #39
BHPian

That's some really interesting information. Thanks
I'm really worried about the numbers in Kerala and also in Bangalore. Even though the taxes are the highest in the country, Bangalore car sales doesn't seem to slow down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif_baig View Post
Makes one wonder where the road tax collected is being spent on in Bangalore.
You don't have to look anywhere else, just see the Crossover numbers from Bangalore. It gives an insight into the road conditions of Bangalore. Last week, I traveled from Bannerghatta road to Whitefield and back to visit a friend. I was really happy that I was in my XUV rather than in the Figo because of the pathetic road conditions in some parts. Come to Gottigere and you can literally do off-road driving on Bannerghatta road, which is a trunk route.
Old 11th August 2016, 17:01   #40
BHPian

@ Slamnos : Great work Sir... Quite insightful

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

Do you think Honda / Toyota will sell just like Maruti if they had 1500 showrooms across the country?

Is it possible for you to publish a report brand / region wise. Like what is the break up of Maruti / Hyundai / others across Cities / zones. And what if we can club this with the number of dealerships in that Zone / Area, we will be able to correlate it. We may see if the sales are driven by genuine choice or just available options (eg. Lack of Ford dealership in the interiors).
Old 11th August 2016, 17:09   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your observation, I have edited & uploaded the right one.
Great statistics and thanks for all your effort.

Just noticed an interesting statistic that Mumbai doesn't appear in the top-10 cities for "Lower SUV". Wondering if it indeed is the case or an error in some numbers?
Old 11th August 2016, 17:24   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Sure, here you go!

Attachment 1540329
Great stuff what are the chances that you can share the numbers of SUV and cross overs like XUV 500, Creta, Duster, Scorpio, TUV 300 for the cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Hyderabad and Kolkata only ?
Old 11th August 2016, 17:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
Great statistics and thanks for all your effort.

Just noticed an interesting statistic that Mumbai doesn't appear in the top-10 cities for "Lower SUV". Wondering if it indeed is the case or an error in some numbers?
No, the numbers are correct. This was the case with Mumbai last year too if you have read the report.

Mumbai is an MPV driven market, its preferred more than SUVs, also please note Low SUV mainly sells in Tier-2 and below hence not many metros/Tier-1 in the list
slamnos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 17:44   #44
BHPian

@slamnos

Any chance to getting historical data - say 20yrs or 10yrs
Old 11th August 2016, 18:19   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
Great stuff what are the chances that you can share the numbers of SUV and cross overs like XUV 500, Creta, Duster, Scorpio, TUV 300 for the cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Hyderabad and Kolkata only ?
Hope this helps

City-wise Car Sales in India : April 2015 - March 2016-spl_req1.jpg
slamnos is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks