Team-BHP - National DigiLocker to carry your DL, RC and other official Govt. documents
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   National DigiLocker to carry your DL, RC and other official Govt. documents (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/179779-national-digilocker-carry-your-dl-rc-other-official-govt-documents-6.html)

The Road Ministry has asked traffic police and state transport departments not to insist on original (hard copy) documents. It says any document authenticated through Digilocker or mParivahan apps should be treated as valid.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65345875.cms

But, will our cops respect this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 4441988)

Million dollar question remains!

Something all of us have been discussing since last few pages. There was a time when cops refused to accept even the PDF color prints of Insurance policies insisting on sign and seal.

But I hope things get better and for that proper education to the authorities is must.

Quoting from news available on all media portals:

No need to carry your driving licence, vehicle papers anymore: Road Transport Ministry approves DigiLocker

This is great news for everyone :thumbs up

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...ocker/1275440/

Quote:

I called a cousin who happens to be an official with Delhi Police and he simply made it clear that "they haven't got any written circular from their higher ups yet and until that comes to them, they will keep going the way it is". In fact he even told me that till date they haven't got the circular for that law which made it clear that no commercial license is needed to drive an ola or uber and hence they are still going ahead the way it used to be.

Quote:

url]https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/soon-cops-may-not-take-away-your-licence/articleshow/65345875.cms[/url]

One way to make Cops respect it is to carry the India Gazette notification. All government employees treat gazette notification as official word.

For example, there is a gazette notification saying that the speed limit on a 4-lane highway is 100kms. But the police haven't bothered to update the speed limits, it is still posted as 80kms. So I carry a copy of the gazette notification in my car in case I am stopped for speeding just above 80.

So I looked up for the gazette notification by Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. Yikes, there are 67 gazette notification in August 2019 alone by this ministry. :eek: I don't have the time to search through it. Even keyword search didn't get me any such notification.

Try your luck here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VKumar (Post 4442141)
I called a cousin who happens to be an official with Delhi Police and he simply made it clear that "they haven't got any written circular from their higher ups yet and until that comes to them, they will keep going the way it is".

I think there is no gazette notification to this effect. So they don't have to follow it until then.

BTW, few state governments have released circulars to this effect. Keep a copy of this in your car. That should be good enough within the state.

The states are Karnataka, Bihar, Goa, Madhya Pradesh & Chandigarh (not a state).

All the state circulars can be downloaded here.

One major problem some of us face is when the RC isn't registered in your name. My bike's RC is in my dad's name and the app won't be able to get me a digital copy of the same. I get it that it is more secure this way, but some alternative could've been keyed in for such circumstances.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 4442041)
Million dollar question remains!

Hello Parag,

This happened last Sunday.
I was stopped en-route Nashik at the Chandanpuri ghats, just before Sangamner. I think this is favourite spot for the police, as I spot them there regularly.

As I approached the cop with nothing but the mobile phone, the cop laughed and asked in marathi , " Kay saheb, Digilocker ka?"( Sir, using Digilocker?). When I nodded, he just asked me to proceed, even without looking.

Cheers,
AB

PS: When I checked my PUC after returning, It had expired a couple of days back:D:D

The DigiLocker is useful only for DL and RC but what about Insurance and PUC? Can I upload these myself and would these be accepted?
Also DigiLocker is only if car is in personal name but if it is in company name there is no Aadhar linkage possible so it is useless. Even if car is in another family members name, it is of no use. So I believe it has very limited usage.
mParivahan is better that it allows download of any RC book. However I am just not able to add my DL to this, always gives error.
So using both apps, but both are half-baked.

How to link Aadhar with License or RC Book so that it appears in DigiLocker in Maharashtra? I searched RTA Maharashtra website for Aadhar linking, but could not find anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlazzingInferno (Post 4442305)
One major problem some of us face is when the RC isn't registered in your name. My bike's RC is in my dad's name and the app won't be able to get me a digital copy of the same. I get it that it is more secure this way, but some alternative could've been keyed in for such circumstances.

You may download it in mparivahan app. Search with RC detail and download. Mparivahan is also a Govt. recognised app for motor vehicle related documentation. I am using my company vehicle and got the digital detail thru this app.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subby (Post 4442750)
You may download it in mparivahan app. Search with RC detail and download. Mparivahan is also a Govt. recognised app for motor vehicle related documentation. I am using my company vehicle and got the digital detail thru this app.

The app isn't available on the iTunes Store. We'll probably have a hard time convincing the cops of the validity of a document using the DigiLocker App, imagine us opening a different app to verify documents :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayuresh (Post 4442716)
How to link Aadhar with License or RC Book so that it appears in DigiLocker in Maharashtra? I searched RTA Maharashtra website for Aadhar linking, but could not find anything.

I don't think that you need to link Aadhar to the licence or RC Book. You can fetch the licence by entering the licence number and the same goes for the RC (You enter the name and other details I suppose).

P.S. I'm sorry about the multiple posts, Mods kindly merge them both if possible :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlazzingInferno (Post 4442764)
I don't think that you need to link Aadhar to the licence or RC Book. You can fetch the licence by entering the licence number and the same goes for the RC (You enter the name and other details I suppose).

May be not linking exactly, but it insists that the name in Aadhar matches the registered name on DL / RC. Unfortunately there are variations (such as use of initial for first and/or middle name or dropping middle name or putting last name first etc.) These may have happened out of ignorance in the pre-Aadhar era or may be a result of some peculiar sequence in the forms filled, or may be when someone else (agent, sales person etc) filled a form on your behalf and wasn't very particular about it etc.

Changing the name in Aadhar has a procedure, but I'm not sure whether that is the right thing to do as in post Aadhar era it has been used at several places. It's probably more appropriate to "correct" the name in DL/RC. Wonder whether there is a procedure for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayuresh (Post 4442817)
May be not linking exactly, but it insists that the name in Aadhar matches the registered name on DL / RC.

Further there seem to be data issues. Tried exploring parivahan.gov.in Neither my license number nor some of my vehicle numbers could be found in the sarathi/vahan DBs. Tried spelling DL no in different ways (with/without sapce/leading zeroes, hyphen, slash and every such variation of the way DL number is written on the license). Still no luck.

My DL is of those days when it used to look like a booklet rather than a card. Probably those are not auto-imported into their present DB. Have to perhaps visit them to get it done.

May be same with older RCs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlazzingInferno (Post 4442757)
The app isn't available on the iTunes Store. We'll probably have a hard time convincing the cops of the validity of a document using the DigiLocker App, imagine us opening a different app to verify documents

It's available now. I misplaced my DL recently so tried this today, I could fetch my DL originally issued in 1994 from Punjab :thumbs up You need to search for The Ministry of Road transport and then fill DL number/ Fathers name. Applicant name is taken from Aadhar. Thereafter it will show up in the issued documents. You can also create a PDF and save it on the phone. I think this should be valid to show to Police whenever required.

Quote:

I don't think that you need to link Aadhar to the licence or RC Book. You can fetch the licence by entering the licence number and the same goes for the RC (You enter the name and other details I suppose
For DL, NO from my experience. If your name matches it will fetch the data. My Aadhar and DL address is different as well thought the application digilocker itself is linked with Aadhar.

This looks particularly good, so no fear of losing documents.

In cases where there is an offence made out and that there is a requirement of
the documents to be impounded, the enforcement agencies can have such impounding
reflected in the VAHAN/ SARATHIdatabase electronically through the \'eChallan\' system.
There would be no requirement of physical seizure of the such documents.

Here\'s the notification to accept documents at Digilocker.

http://morth.nic.in/showfile.asp?lid=3305

About a month ago, I installed the Digilocker Android app on my mobile. Was able to cull the following documents from different sources. My DL was available from MORTH as well as Karnataka Transport Department. However, I couldn\'t get access to my car insurance and PUC certificates.

National DigiLocker to carry your DL, RC and other official Govt. documents-screenshot_20180914164936102_com.digilocker.android1026x1770.png

Haven't had an opportunity to test its efficacy or acceptability in real life and real time. Sometimes, the app requires multiple attempts to log in. Wonder whether the cop on the street will be patient enough to wait!