Team-BHP - Cars with seats folding down into a flat cargo area
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Cars with seats folding down into a flat cargo area (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/184943-cars-seats-folding-down-into-flat-cargo-area-3.html)

You need 'moving van' space in a sedan, buy an Octavia :-)

Can someone please explain why these flatbed seats are so important ?

I can think of only one reason, i.e. sleeping when the car is stationary. Anything other than that ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 07CR (Post 5069530)

They are important if you want to load heavy and large items in the boot. A flat load bay makes it easy to slide the said item into the boot, as opposed to a boot with a step due to the rear seats. A flat loading space also helps in keeping some fragile items safe while the car is moving.

There are a few other use-case scenarios but obviously not everyone will find it useful. It just depends on your usage. I've never used 60:40 split rear seats but I see that some people have to carry long items in the boot with a passenger in the rear seat. So, such a feature is extremely useful for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 07CR (Post 5069530)

I can think of only one reason, i.e. sleeping when the car is stationary. Anything other than that ?

The pandemic has made many travelers realise the safety of sleeping in the car (although one needs to be careful as it has proved fatal as well). A flat folding cabin with no protrutions is an important feature for such people (refer seat belt hardware in punto pic posted by dear Anoop a few pages back). I have myself slept in car overnight on atleast 2 occasions (long before than 2020 pandemic) in the driver seat. Having a flat folding seats would have been worth it for sure.

Other uses:
1. To transport longer items (I have transported bicycle, center table for our home drawing room, window AC, LCD TV etc after folding rear seat).

2. It can be useful for people like me who shift often due to work place change. Allows some important luggage to be carried in the car itself rather than waiting for the truck to arrive few days later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 4557273)
A related question.

How many times do we actually *use* this feature of space freed up by folding rear seats (flatbed or not).

In my 20+ years of owing various cars, i have never ever used this feature (folding down the rear seats for extra luggage).

This sure comes in handly when you want to bring furniture and stuff.
On our Polo, we actually added leather seat covers, and they modified the seats so much that the seats fold only to an angle now.
Something like this, and it keeps rocking up and down
__/
In the last one year, we used it for bringing the Work From home Chair and Desk, and in both cases, it was a challenge to load and unload. Last year has been full of cycling, and it sure has hurt a lot, we can't carry our cycles even with the front tyres removed. So, we had to install Bicycle carriers at the back.

So, One warning I would like to give is, to avoid aftermarket seat covers that are non standard. Even if you get them installed, make sure they don't stich them in a way that the seats lose their flip function.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4159508)
Another car which comes to mind is the Maruti S cross

Attachment 1616442

One year of owning a S Cross and I didn't know this was possible. Is there a guide on how to tumble the seat base forward to make a flat space?

Hi all,

Is it possible to replace the old “not completely flat” seats with the ones that flat out on folding?

I have an old Endeavour whose second and theirs row seats do fold flat completely. I have attached a reference picture

I would like to change it to the way it comes in the newer models of Endeavour. Again picture attached for reference.

Hey thanks for this. I was googling the exact thing in images and suddenly a Tbhp watermarked image popped up. I was like wow, we have a thread for everything!
Definitely on my check list!

Let me throw in a picture of the Kia Carnival here -afterall thats one of its USP. Also note this is with the second row seats not folded.:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrsteer (Post 5440055)
Let me throw in a picture of the Kia Carnival here -afterall thats one of its USP. Also note this is with the second row seats not folded.

That's seriously impressive considering that these are full-sized bicycles.

With BRV's weird 2nd and 3rd row folding seat setup, we can carry 2 kiddie bicyles this way and still carry 4 passengers (in front row and 3rd row):

Cars with seats folding down into a flat cargo area-pic1.jpg

Cars with seats folding down into a flat cargo area-pic2.jpg