Team-BHP - Cars with seats folding down into a flat cargo area
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Cars with seats folding down into a flat cargo area (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/184943-cars-seats-folding-down-into-flat-cargo-area.html)

Hello,
Pardon me if there is any similar existing thread. I tried to search a lot for it but couldn't find any, hence posting a new thread.

Please help me in identifying Cars/MUVs/SUVs having a flatbed storage/loading space by folding/reclining their 2nd and/or 3rd row of seats.

For example, in XUV you can fold 2nd and 3rd row of seats completely to make a flat bed. But in Hexa, none of its 2nd or 3rd folds completely to make a flatbed. I think Ertiga also have this flexibility of a flatbed loading space. IIRC, in initial variants of Santro, the rear seat could be tumbled down to stand against front seats, giving a complete flatbed space.

TIA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by revharder (Post 4158874)
Please help me in identifying Cars/MUVs/SUVs having a flatbed storage/loading space by folding/reclining their 2nd and/or 3rd row of seats.

Two cars I can think of off the top of my head are the Jazz and EcoSport.

Honda Jazz (only top-end VX variant): 881 L
In the lower variants of the Jazz, the seats don't fold flat, they have a step.

Ford EcoSport: 705 L

Images from the respective Team-BHP reviews.

Innova Crysta has a flat loading space -

Cars with seats folding down into a flat cargo area-156916.jpg

Honda Mobilio/BRV has a flat loading space, but it is split into 2 parts - this is practically useless if you intend to carry a single large item. However, multiple large-ish items can be carried in its 2 "compartments" (roughly 400 + 700 litres space).

Cars with seats folding down into a flat cargo area-p_20170307_113906_p.jpg

Large hatchbacks and compact SUVs - because of their size and folding seats - usually have a flat loading space.

Honda Jazz:

Cars with seats folding down into a flat cargo area-2015hondajazz21.jpg

Hyundai Creta:

Cars with seats folding down into a flat cargo area-hyundaicreta26.jpg

Suzuki Brezza:

Cars with seats folding down into a flat cargo area-marutivitarabrezza25.jpg

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

2004 Wagon R had an almost flat area with the seats folded down.
OT: The seat could be made a recliner as well becoming almost bed like. I loved that feature of that car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by revharder (Post 4158874)

If you share the reason you need a flat area, someone may be able to suggest a solution for your specific requirement.

Adding to the list, the Scorpio (7 seater with side facing seats in the last row), can also become a flat bed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VellVector (Post 4158926)
If you share the reason you need a flat area, someone may be able to suggest a solution for your specific requirement.

There is no reason as such with me. I am trying to compile a list of such vehicles. IMO, this is can also be one of many criteria for some car buyers.

Thanks for the updates here guys. This is definitely a feature that will factor my next purchase. Compact nuclear family of 4 here. So one of the key things that I would want on my next set of wheels would be flat beds so my kiddos,currently 7 & 4 can sleep comfortably on an all-night drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitishk (Post 4159480)
Thanks for the updates here guys. This is definitely a feature that will factor my next purchase. Compact nuclear family of 4 here. So one of the key things that I would want on my next set of wheels would be flat beds so my kiddos,currently 7 & 4 can sleep comfortably on an all-night drive.

Err.... Wouldn't it be safer if they are strapped in when on a drive?

And that would be the right thing to do.

Another car which comes to mind is the Maruti S cross

Cars with seats folding down into a flat cargo area-marutiscross22.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 4159502)
Err.... Wouldn't it be safer if they are strapped in when on a drive?

And that would be the right thing to do.

Yes they are strapped on when sitting on the rear seat. Like most of us in this forum, I do take seat belts very seriously.

So used to seat belts now that its not a "cop" thing for me for years now.

The sleeping option is something which I have only considered.

Nice thread ! Thanks for putting this up separately.

It would be even more helpful if the available length is also added, along with the volume of space.

( recently was in a situation where we needed length more than volume. I took out the middle & jump seats of the Storme, and was able to get the required 6 feet of length - and a comfortable journey )

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitishk (Post 4159480)
So one of the key things that I would want on my next set of wheels would be flat beds so my kiddos,currently 7 & 4 can sleep comfortably on an all-night drive.

Gives a whole new meaning to the word "sleeper car"

Without the rear seatback holding luggage in place in the boot, it will fly all over the cabin in case of an accident. Or even in case of sudden braking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 4159552)
It would be even more helpful if the available length is also added, along with the volume of space. ( recently was in a situation where we needed length more than volume. I took out the middle & jump seats of the Storme, and was able to get the required 6 feet of length - and a comfortable journey )

Length and width are almost always unknowns because journos don't check that. Whether your outsized item goes in or not is always a trial and error.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitishk (Post 4159529)
Yes they are strapped on when sitting on the rear seat. Like most of us in this forum, I do take seat belts very seriously.

So used to seat belts now that its not a "cop" thing for me for years now.

The sleeping option is something which I have only considered.

For the length part of your query, you can safely look at the Ertiga.
Thought you won't get a perfectly flat space (both the rows have a slight upward slope).

Recently, I had to transport three mattresses - 2 of 6'3" length and 3' width and 1 of 6'3" length and 4' width.

The smaller of the two sizes easily fit.

The bigger one which was 4 feet wide fit above the wheel arch line.

Good option to take a quick nap while stopped by the roadside even for two adults, albeit with a mattress underneath due to the slightly uneven surface. Maybe you can take a look at the inflatable mattresses.

This is a good to have feature. Recently bought a linea and this is the only convenience I miss in the car. 60:40 split and a flat bed ability adds a lot to the practicality of a car. Why station wagons are missing from the indian car scene? Absolutely love the station wagons compared to the 7 seater, stretched platform hatchbacks currently on offer.