Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2017, 18:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault Duster to get a petrol CVT variant. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10.32 lakhs

If priced right it may see takers. ₹ 10.3 L looks like great pricing for it's butch looks, ride and handling package and CVT convenience.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 21:59   #17
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault Duster to get a petrol CVT variant. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post

And although it has an S mode & an L mode, the X-tronic CVT as used on the Sunny/Scala isn't a stepped CVT with gear pretenders.
I'm happy to take back my own words.

This is indeed a stepped CVT (unlike the Sunny/Scala X-tronic) with gear pretenders and a "tip-tronic" M mode for the CVT's steps, as seen in the last picture posted by CarguyNish.

Last edited by RSR : 30th April 2017 at 22:05.
RSR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 22:35   #18
BHPian

It looks like Renault is learning and willing to heed to common sense.

It's ironic that Honda used to be a pioneer back in the day, when it came to offering automatic transmissions and decent engines on its cars. Today, WR-V neither has the 1.5 iVTec or an automatic transmission.
ashwin489 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 15:17   #19
BHPian

Its confirmed that the petrol CVT is launched and already reached a few showrooms. Will go for a test drive soon and share feedback.
hondacity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:21   #20
BHPian

Globally the CVT is paired with a 2.0 Petrol/BioFuel engine. Here we get a 1.6L H4K with a 100 horses on tap . The "K" nomenclature in the end means that this is only a reworked engine; mostly from an emissions perspective.

So this could be a little underpowered as compared to its main competitor, the Creta. Back of the envelope calculations tells me about 15% lower power to weight.

But who is counting that?? The customer in this niche is looking for convenience and maybe mileage as it is a Petrol-, both of which are expected to be significantly better vs the Creta due to the CVT as compared to a TC box and also the lighter build/weight .Not to mention this is likely to be a cool 2-2.5L cheaper than the Petrol AT. Renualt listed to the VOC , of only a few years late !!

But what an edition to the Duster family- a great crossover vehicle and arguably the pioneer in India to take the SUV craze to the masses here, who could ill afford the Mahindras and Tata trucks earlier.

To me it still remains the most desirable vehicle in this segment. Especially for those who have even a bit of an inclination to take it off the tarmac and do some rough roading.

More power to Renault India !!

Last edited by BUXX : 2nd May 2017 at 10:22.
BUXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:25   #21
BHPian

More pics of the Duster RXS CVT at dealership

Name:  CVT.png
Views: 16909
Size:  373.6 KB

Name:  CVT1.png
Views: 16879
Size:  302.6 KB

Renault Duster to get a petrol CVT variant. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10.32 lakhs-cvt2.jpg

http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...5-lakh/649501/
Karthik Chandra is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 14:46   #22
BHPian

Wish they would have worked a bit on the interiors and dashboard instead. The dashboard below looks plain hideous. Creta will still enjoy its free run considering the competition just refuses to offer any real competition.
aviraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 15:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

I would appreciate Renault for bringing in CVT and not AMT. If I am correct its is the same engine-transmission combination that is used in Sunny and thus cost effective. More so though AMT has been offered in the diesel avatar of Duster, it has not many takers even after no major issues (compared to the AMT unit of TUV). Most of the people after taking test drive have come out unsatisfied as the "fun" part is missing in AMT.

The prices of Sunny have been slashed recently; it is thus a good decision of offering a Duster CVT at the earlier price of Sunny CVT. Transmission sharing will further add to the economy of scale. Renault will be able to extract remaining juice from the dated Duster !

Not bad I would say !

Last edited by i74js : 2nd May 2017 at 15:50.
Old 2nd May 2017, 16:24   #24
BHPian

I saw couple of them being driven to Renault Silkboard Showroom here in Bangalore last week. It was Red color & I was puzzled about the variant since New Duster doesn't offer Red color anymore. It was replaced by Orange last year. Now I can correlate. So launch should happen sometime this week considering this is first week of the month. Good to see so many variants on offer.
1. Petrol / Diesel
2. Petrol CVT / Diesel AMT
3. 85 PS / 110 PS
4. FWD / AWD
5. RXE / RXL / RXS / RXZ / Adventure edition etc.

I personally own a 2016 Duster ( 85 PS RXZ ) & enjoying every bit of driving the beast. Although interiors are not as great as competition, it is compensated by great ride quality and handling. I am not bothered about creature comforts. It's go anywhere capability and take on any roads matters much for me. Keep up the good work Renault I am sure Kaptur will be another blockbuster model soon!
RAHS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 18:33   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

The Duster 1.5L RxS CVT has been officially launched at Rs 10.32 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi.

Quote:
The 2017 Duster petrol now comes with a new 106hp H4K 1.5-litre motor, instead of the 104hp, 1.6-litre unit. This new engine is available with a five-speed manual gearbox as well as a CVT automatic. Prices for the 2017 Duster 1.5 petrol start at Rs 8.49 lakh for the RxE manual version while the new RxS CVT automatic trim costs Rs 10.32 lakh.

Apart from the new engine, Renault has also made equipment changes to the range. The RxL manual and the RxS automatic now come with steering-mounted audio controls, Eco mode, electrically adjustable wing mirrors and a trip computer. The RxL gets a gearshift indicator and the CVT-equipped RxS variant gets a touchscreen infotainment system without sat-nav feature.

Renault has also added a mid-spec RxL trim with AMT to its diesel Duster line-up and it is priced Rs 11.87 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).
ACI
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 18:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Duster 1.5L RxS CVT has been officially launched at Rs 10.32 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi.
ACI
I just checked the Renault website, the engine has been changed for all petrol offerings. All petrols (RxE, RxL, RxS) now come with the 1.5L petrol motor.

Quote:
... 106hp H4K 1.5-litre motor, instead of the 104hp, 1.6-litre unit.
jetti is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 21:51   #27
BHPian

The CVT is officially announced in the website - Petropowered automatic

https://www.renault.co.in/vehicles/p...automatic.html

The new RXS CVT variant comes with all bases covered. It has

# Dual Airbags
# ABS with EBD
# Brake Assist
# ESP
# Hill start assist
# Rear defogger, wiper and washer

Its a fantastic package that focuses on safety. Bring the ride quality and the price tag into the equation, the Duster RXS is a serious contender for an AT buyer @ ~ 12 Lacs OTR

Kudos to Renault for the pricing

Brochure link

https://www.cdn.renault.com/content/...T_Brochure.pdf

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 2nd May 2017 at 21:55.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 21:52   #28
Team-BHP Support

Wondering if the 1.5L engine is the same as the Nissan Sunny and Scala which was easier to mate with the CVT.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 00:55   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Wondering if the 1.5L engine is the same as the Nissan Sunny and Scala which was easier to mate with the CVT.
Yup, correct.

The H4K is the same one as the Sunny 1.5L motor. And Btw, Sunny was launched in india before the Duster. Its pretty difficult to see why they waited so long to do this.

Even at the Duster's launch, I remember thinking why are they bothering to bring in another petrol engine, which anyway won't sell much and even has very similar power to the 1.5 they already have. The question is answered now
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 10:25   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster to get a petrol CVT variant. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10.32 lakhs

If anyone is thinking of buying this, please avoid. The engine is unimpressive and with a CVT, the driving experience will be dull. If you want a Petrol AT, there are better options in the market.

The Duster is past its prime; for a crossover selling between 1,000 - 2,000 units a month, it sure has an unbelievable number of engine + gearbox combinations. 1.5L 85 PS, 1.5L 110 PS, this petrol, 5-speed MT, 6-speed MT, AMT, CVT, FWD, AWD...wow! The dudes on the assembly line must be getting dizzy. Looks like Renault is trying to learn from Variant Motors (aka VW).
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks