Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2017, 15:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio to be a global product

Mahindra & Mahindra is reportedly planning to develop the next-generation Scorpio as a global product, which can be sold even in developed markets like North America and Europe. To achieve this goal, the fourth-generation model's development has started at the company's North American Technical Center. It is expected to be unveiled in 2020.

The North American center will be responsible for fabricating the concept design. Post this, the project will be shifted to Mahindra's R&D center in Chennai. All subsequent engineering and integration tasks will be carried out at the Chennai center.

Internally codenamed as the Z101, the new-gen Scorpio will likely be based on an enhanced architecture of the current-gen model. It is also expected to introduce a completely new design language for the Indian carmaker, which will then be spread over its entire portfolio. A Scorpio-based pickup truck will also be made on the same revised platform, which is also expected to be sold in the international markets.

Source: ET Auto
dZired is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 21:02   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio to be a global product

M&M have to redeem themselves pretty quickly as the past few cars it has introduced into its portfolio have not been particularly "good".

No offence, but the TUV300 is just bad. Boxy looks, Underpowered etc. Same goes to say with the KUV100 which was apparently designed by these guys under the effect of some "unspecified" drugs.
I won't even say anything about the Nuvosport.

Is it will be a good thing if M&M can pull out their mojo like a bunny pulled out by a magician from his hat and introduce some good products in the next few years.

Don't get me wrong though, as I love the Scorpio and the XUV500. But the rest of it is just meh.
thatfastdude19 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 12:07   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A rumour indeed. Making a car fit for the North American market will easily add a thousand crores or two to the development costs (safety, emissions, quality etc.). Then, there are the billions of dollars required to build a brand & dealer network in a market already saturated with players. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't think we'll be seeing a Scorpio on sale in the USA. It's a market where even the likes of Suzuki, Peugeot, Mitsubishi & others have failed. Mahindra should focus on low-cost pickups for farmland use there; these would have potential.

Back to the Scorpio, I hope we see some of that XUV500-level of competence in the new generation. The current Scorpio is way too old - been around since nearly two decades now.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 13:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Back to the Scorpio, I hope we see some of that XUV500-level of competence in the new generation. The current Scorpio is way too old - been around since nearly two decades now.
What exactly do you mean by XUV500 level of competence?
Are you referring to the additional features, monocoque design, etc?
Old 19th April 2017, 23:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Then, there are the billions of dollars required to build a brand & dealer network in a market already saturated with players. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't think we'll be seeing a Scorpio on sale in the USA.
GTO, Not sure if you are aware but there is already a lawsuit going on with the importer they had tied up with a few years ago when they decided to launch the Scorpio Pick UP (older version).

Infact I used to live in the USA at that time. If someone wanted a cheap farm pick up, the base 4 Cylinder Toyota 4Runner was always available at a very reasonable cost. I recall writing to all senior M&M management for whom, I had email id's at that time and told them that it is going to be a futile attempt and prone to disaster.

As you said, many proven European companies have got their fingers burnt on the North American Market.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 00:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Scorpio as a global product ? Well, possible if they dont include countries like US, GER etc. Even the Getaway is still in pockets like SA & AUS.
Old 20th April 2017, 08:44   #7
BHPian

I would be happy as long as they improve upon the pathetic NCAP score the current Scorpio got. Of course, this is assuming India as an export hub, and build quality remains same across markets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks