Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2006, 13:44   #16
BHPian

Coming to the topic, I think Toyota will lead the market in couple of years. They have started a new marketing capaign and pumping in lots of money into advrtising;All they need a civic like product. Im not confident about their new corolla either, but its worth watchin the fight. Its entirely different senario in american market; they are smashing GM and ford. Its just the market size they might be worried about or under estimated the potential of indian market which they realised and started pushing.

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 5th November 2006 at 13:49.
Old 5th November 2006, 14:09   #17
BANNED

I think it's a sign of good things to come.
I never felt Toyota took the indian market to be childish. They did change the way indians expected a car to be.

Just that they're very careful with their strategies doesn't mean they've failed.

And Camry at 22lakhs ain't a joke! Drive/sit in that car and see what it has on offer. I found it to be a better value than Eclass minus the 3pointed star.
Old 5th November 2006, 15:48   #18
BHPian

This looks to be the next generation corolla launched in Japan a fortnight ago, expected mid-2007 in india.

http://toyota.jp/corollaaxio/index.html?corollaseries
Old 5th November 2006, 17:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
And Camry at 22lakhs ain't a joke! Drive/sit in that car and see what it has on offer. I found it to be a better value than Eclass minus the 3pointed star.
My next door neighbour bought one ( P & R Jewellers ). I was really impressed by the interiors , quality of materials...and everything except the front grille . but at 23 lakhs...dont you think its a bit too overpriced ? They call this Accord's direct competitor right ? , to a common man it doesnt seem so . I respect even the previous gen camry for its rear passenger comfort and engine refinement , but to price 7 lacs above its direct competitor ? .. I dont feel its worth it , or in another word its a justified price ,thats all.

Last edited by maxbhp : 5th November 2006 at 17:07.
Old 6th November 2006, 08:03   #20
BHPian

Camry definitely overpriced

Hey Max,

Yes I agree with you regarding the Camry. It's definitely overpriced compared to the Accord. This may mostly be due to the fact that the Camry is imported as a CBU. I think the import duty is very high for CBUs - isn't it ? Something like 110% ....

In Australia, you can get a fully loaded Camry with all goodies and satellite navigation for about 12-13 lakhs. But here, even the partially loaded Camry is 23 lakhs .... madness really.

For that matter, even the Corolla is overpriced by 2 lakhs at least. The top of the line Corolla Sportivo (which has a sports tuned 1.8 litre VVTi engine with more than 140 bhp) costs only around 10-10.5 lakhs in Australia ..... and see the variants and features we get on a Corolla here for that price ... added to that, the apparently "built to a price feel" as reported by the magazines here.

Oh well .... there's the Indian market for you.
Old 6th November 2006, 13:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Can this match the new civic , yeah may be with the D4d but can it with 1.8VVti ? Engine may be great but exterior design, not very enticing . Looks a genration older in comparison to the new civic.
Old 6th November 2006, 19:50   #22
DRC
BHPian

Toyota seems to be a slow learner here. But evetually it learns.

But on the camry part, I feel it is still over priced. Camry offeres the value sans 3 point star, so does Accord, cheaper by 7 lacs.
Old 12th November 2006, 00:08   #23
BHPian

The new Toyota Corolla Axio Launched in Japan

Hey maxbhp,

Yes I agree with you on the fact that the latest generation Corolla does look a generation older than the latest Honda Civic - but I guess Toyota has always been behind Honda in terms of styling and design. Honda's always been the one designing more stylish and better looking cars .... Toyotas are much better known for quality and reliability .... my sister in the USA still has her 1989 model Corolla 1.6 which has done more than 250,000 miles and is still going strong without any engine repairs etc. Amazing isn't it ??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks