Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2017, 11:30   #1
BHPian

Karnataka RTOs facing shortage of smart cards for DL & RC books

Quote:
An acute shortage of smart cards across the state due to an internal dispute plaguing the service provider supplying those could pose a problem for people in receiving their vehicle registration certificates (RC) and drivers’ licences (DL)
I had applied for a new smart card DL because my old DL had been damaged. While the officer in the RTO had informed me that I would get the new DL in about ten days, it's been close to three weeks now and I am yet to receive the same. Just happened to come across this article in the paper today so thought I would share it here. I'm sure a lot of people, especially in bangalore would be waiting for their DLs and RC books.

Source:
http://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.co...w/58287653.cms

Shreyas
shreyascashyap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 11:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Karnataka RTOs facing shortage of smart cards for DL & RC books

Its the same in Mangalore also.
My father-in-law's Ignis was registered at the Mangalore RTO in the third week of February 2017(through the dealership). He got his RC just 3-4 days ago( almost two months after the date of registration!!!), that too after multiple enquiries at the RTO and the dealership. The reason given was the shortage of smart cards and staff who look after printing of these smart cards.
Even for my Figo(registered in April 2016), they took more than a month to send the RC.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 21st April 2017 at 11:47.
Old 21st April 2017, 11:52   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I had applied for a change of DL as well, it took 5 weeks for it to arrive. Then again i was told in advance that it will take minimum a month.
Old 21st April 2017, 12:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

If I'm not wrong, same situation is prevailing in Pune for the past several months. All licenses and RCs are being issued in paper form.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 21st April 2017, 12:08   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
If I'm not wrong, same situation is prevailing in Pune for the past several months. All licenses and RCs are being issued in paper form.

Cheers,
Vikram
As per my knowledge, MH12 RTO has discontinued the plastic format as they think it would be cumbersome to update the details during re registration and ownership changes. But, they took full one year to send me my paper RC for my bike re registration after number generation and the excuse was shortage of paper. I think they import their 'paper RC' from Venus may be.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 12:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Its the same in Mangalore also.
My father-in-law's Ignis was registered at the Mangalore RTO in the third week of February 2017(through the dealership).

Ah thanks for this update. I had got my RC renewal done in Feb, and am still waiting for the RC card

I was given the same reasons. I thought they were just trying to pass the buck.

My DL is up for renewal soon I guess, hopefully they dont give me a book. Have lived with the book for all these years!!
Old 21st April 2017, 15:34   #7
Team-BHP Support

Re: Karnataka RTOs facing shortage of smart cards for DL & RC books

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyascashyap View Post
I had applied for a new smart card DL because my old DL had been damaged. While the officer in the RTO had informed me that I would get the new DL in about ten days, it's been close to three weeks now and I am yet to receive the same. Just happened to come across this article in the paper today so thought I would share it here. I'm sure a lot of people, especially in bangalore would be waiting for their DLs and RC books.
Quote:

Cheers,
Vikram
Welcome to Maharashtra, boys!

Pune RTO works funny: we are receiving the RC in paper format almost 6-9 months after vehicle purchase/ownership change.

But, DLs are still being issued promptly as smart-card. My wife applied for a DL in Dec and got it mid-Jan. The postman misplaced it so we applied for a replacement and got that in three weeks.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 17:42   #8
BHPian

Re: Karnataka RTOs facing shortage of smart cards for DL & RC books

I think I am affected by the same issue. Purchased my Octavia on 30th January and I am yet to receive the RC.
Old 22nd April 2017, 09:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,

Vikram

I got my RC in paper form exactly 7 months after I purchased my vehicle in August '16 in Pimpri.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks