Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2017, 14:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Renewal of Learner's Licence?

Dear Mods

I searched the thread for this topic, but could only find information related to DL renewal and nothing on LL renewal. Hence I created this thread, please delete/Merge as appropriate.

My wife has a 2 wheeler LL that is due to expire towards the end of the month and I want her to continue to ride a little more before I go for a DL. I do not want to engage agents and want to get the DL done the right way. We got the LL also done without an agent and hence I want her to get more comfortable with the scooter. I searched online and on our forum as well, but there doesn't seem to be a procedure for getting the LL renewed. Can anyone help? this is for KA03 RTO in Bangalore, but I am guessing the procedure may be same across the country. TIA
Old 9th May 2017, 14:45   #2
BHPian

re: Renewal of Learner's Licence?

Renewing a learner's license is another routine procedure in the RTO. It is very similar to getting a new LL, except that a test is not required. Normally the LL is returned the same day with another stamp on it extending the validity by another six months.
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 15:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

So, we have to visit the RTO and this cannot be done online? I was hoping for the easier option of doing this online. Are there any other documents that need to be submitted?
Old 9th May 2017, 15:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

@dass; I guess so. It is very rare for someone to want a learner's license renewed. Therefore, when you go off track, then normal channels may not work.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 17:38   #5
BANNED

I'm not a 100 percent sure of the procedure, but as per my knowledge you would just need to get the LL once again just like you did the first time. When i got my license(in ludhiana,PB) there was no test taken in the learners stage. So i guess it shouldn't be much of an issue but i believe the individual has to go there, since they take a photo and a signature at the time(its also a proof that you were there to get your license)
Old 3rd June 2019, 14:05   #6
BHPian

Re: Renewal of Learner's Licence?

Learner's licenses cannot be renewed. I say this with confidence because my learner's license for motorcycles expired end May 2019 and after checking with the RTO, they informed me that I have to reapply for a fresh learner's license. Thankfully this process took just a few hours.

The good news is that if one already has a license in another geared vehicle category (say for a car like I do) or details of the previous learner's license then

a) you don't need to give the learner's test. The test itself is simple enough, the problem is that there is a 2 month waiting period to get a slot for the test !.

b) Additionally you also don't need to give your biometrics since that too is already in the system.

c) You will need a fresh medical certificate by a doctor if you are above 50, otherwise the self attested declaration of health is fine.

d) So getting a fresh learner's then comes down to just printing out the forms (apply online at parivahan.gov.in) , payment for learner's license also online and then going straight to the RTO and the Scrutiny section for Learner's and here too, there is usually a separate queue for those having prior LL / DL licenses. This step therefore takes just 10-15 minutes.

e) The scrutinized forms are returned to you with appropriate signatures. You will also receive an SMS that your learner's license is approved.

f) Just go to the Learner's license collection window, give in the forms and get your new LL

I reached the RTO at 11:00 and was out by 11:40 on a Saturday. Most of the time was taken in the printing of learner's and its lamination.

If however it is a fresh LL (i.e. you don't have a prior LL or another license) then you will be given a date slot for your learner's test for road signs and road behavior (which date in Pune is around 2 months later). On that day you will have to first do your biometrics, followed by a longer scrutiny procedure and then give the test (pass marks 80 out of 100). After which you will get your LL from the LL collection window.

Last edited by bevivek : 3rd June 2019 at 14:06. Reason: Additions
bevivek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 10:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevivek View Post

If however it is a fresh LL (i.e. you don't have a prior LL or another license) then you will be given a date slot for your learner's test for road signs and road behavior (which date in Pune is around 2 months later). On that day you will have to first do your biometrics, followed by a longer scrutiny procedure and then give the test (pass marks 80 out of 100). After which you will get your LL from the LL collection window.
Were you able to upload the photo and signature while applying for the learner's license through the parivahan web site. I am unable to do so and when I contacted NIC that maintains the site, they told me that it is because the Maharashtra RTO wanted it that way. However, the RTO does not accept the form without an uploaded photo and signature. So they direct you to an agent outside who will upload the photo and signature. My form currently says everything is done (all required documents uploaded) and I only need to book the slot. And trying to use the Upload Photo and Signature link does not permit you to upload it. The Edit option is not available to public.
pjbiju is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 12:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Were you able to upload the photo and signature while applying for the learner's license through the parivahan web site.
First things first. If you already have a license in any other vehicle category (say cars) then you will not need to upload any photograph. They will take these details from your existing license for the other vehicle category. This is what happened to me when I went to renew end May. I had missed out on this when I first went for my 2 wheeler LL last December.

This upload photograph signature thing seems to be new, something that happened last few months. When I first applied for my LL last December, it was not there if my memory serves. When I went to the RTO, they took a photograph of me. All other documents I had to upload.
bevivek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 13:51   #9

Do we have to give Learners license test again during your LL renewal? I'm asking this because there's no slots available for the same in my RTO. I'm asking this for Delhi region.
Old 13th October 2020, 20:31   #10

Hello everyone,
A week back I had gone for the renewal of my learner's license. I went to RTO, Vasant Vihar for the process. Upon reaching there with my old learners license, the inspector told me that I cannot renew this LL and will have to apply for a new one as the address in the old LL wasn't a complete one. I told him that while filling up the address in the beginning I filled up the entire address but due to some glitch, partial address was only showing on the application form. I also asked him if once the license has been made with the partial address why can't he approve of it now. He strictly told me to apply for a new one.
The reason I'm trying eagerly to apply for renewal is because the LL test slot availability for RTO, Vasant Vihar is only in the month of Jan next year.
Can anyone suggest me any way I can overcome this issue?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks