Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2017, 08:15   #1
BANNED

Mahindra discontinues the Scorpio Automatic - A new one in the offing?

I was browsing through the official website of the Scorpio the day before yesterday and was surprised to see the price for the AT 2WD and 4WD variants missing.

I then contacted their customer care to check but they were not aware of any such development. After this, twitter showed it power and Mahindra has now officially confirmed that they have discontinued the Scorpio AT on both the variants.

While this wasn't the best AT, it was the only AT 4WD BOF SUV in its segment and I have seen quite a few 2/4WD ATs on the streets across the country. It wasn't a sales dud.

So this abrupt halt to production, to me means that M&M is readying an all new AT Scorpio with a different AT box. Could there be some other reason as well?
Attached Images

n.devdath is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 08:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra discontinues the Scorpio Automatic - A new one in the offing?

It should come with the 6 speed AT which the XUV has, which is better in every way in comparison to what was offered in the Scorpio.

The only question is when..
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 11:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra discontinues the Scorpio Automatic - A new one in the offing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
It should come with the 6 speed AT which the XUV has, which is better in every way in comparison to what was offered in the Scorpio.

The only question is when..
It won't fit the longitudinal layout of Scorpio, but Aisin has other gearboxes for this layout.
.anshuman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 11:52   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I was browsing through the official website of the Scorpio the day before yesterday and was surprised to see the price for the AT 2WD and 4WD variants missing.
I then contacted their customer care to check but they were not aware of any such development. After this, twitter showed it power and Mahindra has now officially confirmed that they have discontinued the Scorpio AT on both the variants.
While this wasn't the best AT, it was the only AT 4WD BOF SUV in its segment and I have seen quite a few 2/4WD ATs on the streets across the country. It wasn't a sales dud.
So this abrupt halt to production, to me means that M&M is readying an all new AT Scorpio with a different AT box. Could there be some other reason as well?
Thank you n.devdath for this important update. There are other owners of elderly Scorpios (like mine) who love the car & have been mulling the thought of going in for an AT model. Amen to your thought about the possibility of a new AT model!

Last edited by shashanka : 5th June 2017 at 11:54.
Old 5th June 2017, 12:22   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
It won't fit the longitudinal layout of Scorpio, but Aisin has other gearboxes for this layout.
I hope M&M uses one of these GBs for the new/facelifted Scorpio and not a Ssangyong unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Amen to your thought about the possibility of a new AT model!
You are welcome Shashanka, I m very, very sure of M&M launching/relaunching the AT Scorpio, they have seen it sell and know that the segment needs an AT BOF 4WD SUV which the Storme is unlikely to have in the future.
Old 5th June 2017, 21:16   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I hope M&M uses one of these GBs for the new/facelifted Scorpio and not a Ssangyong unit.
Here are some more details:

It has now been confirmed that the facelift will be equipped with the more refined and responsive six-speed automatic gearbox from the XUV500.

Since the XUV500's Aisin-made six-speed unit was engineered for transverse engine applications, it will have to be re-engineered for the Scorpio's longitudinal layout.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ox-405069.aspx
Turbanator is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 16:57   #7
BHPian

Dear Forum,

Apaprt from the AISIN gearbox and the cosmetic upgrade, various websites mention that there is going to be a bump up in power from 120 bhp to 140 bhp. I am assuming there will be an increase in torque as well.
Does anybody know whether this has been achieved by re-tuning the ECU or some mechanicals have been changed as well for both the engine and gearbox to handle the extra power / torque.
It will be a boon for the existing enthusiast owners if the same can be achieved by keeping everything stock.
Regards,
Harsh.
Old 28th June 2017, 10:53   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshD View Post
Does anybody know whether this has been achieved by re-tuning the ECU or some mechanicals have been changed as well for both the engine and gearbox to handle the extra power / torque.
The 140 bhp mhawk engine comes with variable geometry turbo and the 120 with fixed geometry, and obvious changes in the ECM. Other than this, I think the block is same.

Not sure if the scorpio gearbox is built to handle the increase in torque power output.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 15:06   #9
BHPian

What is the status on maintenance support to existing AT units that have been sold over the years ?

Queries raised in this respect with M&M and Anand Mahindra have not elicited any response.

Last edited by RS_DEL : 21st July 2017 at 15:08.
Old 21st July 2017, 18:00   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
What is the status on maintenance support to existing AT units that have been sold over the years ?
Well, they are legally bound to service all vehicles for 7 years from the date of sale so I wouldn't see that a big area of concern.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 20:02   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, they are legally bound to service all vehicles for 7 years from the date of sale so I wouldn't see that a big area of concern.
Only if the required parts are available. For a niche/rare product, you can never be sure.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 20:15   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Only if the required parts are available.
The OEM is bound to make them available for 7 years from the date of sale.
Old 21st July 2017, 22:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed . That is what that the rule book says.

Quote:
Only if the required parts are available. For a niche/rare product, you can never be sure.
My primary concern is AT box related issues. Rest should not be a major impediment in keeping the vehicle functional.

Reticence of the company in addressing a pointed query on the issue doesn't really inspire confidence.
https://twitter.com/rs_nd_ind/status/886984517671571456
Old 21st July 2017, 23:40   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Reticence of the company in addressing a pointed query on the issue doesn't really inspire confidence.
If I were you, I'd look at the XUV W6 AT which is a better vehicle than the Scorpio AT on all counts. However, if you have made up your mind for the Scorpio AT, I feel you can go ahead. M&M usually arrange spares and support if you maintain a good rapport with the dealer.
Old 22nd July 2017, 13:16   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
10 years IIRC. But no one says, we won't make it available. Every one says, we don't have this part in stock and we have to place an order in plant/factory. So if you confirm [= pay us some advance so that ball is in our court] we can order but we can't guarantee as to when can this part be available.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks