Team-BHP - Ford Endeavour - 2 variants discontinued, MT gearbox scrapped
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Ford Endeavour - 2 variants discontinued, MT gearbox scrapped (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/187961-ford-endeavour-2-variants-discontinued-mt-gearbox-scrapped.html)

Ford has made yet another change to the variant line-up of the Endeavour SUV in India, with the number of variants being cut down from five to three. This isn't the first time that the Endeavour's variant line-up has received changes - Ford had discontinued the base 2.2 4x2 Trend trim last year.

This time, Ford has discontinued the 2.2 4x4 MT Trend and 3.2 4x4 AT Trend variants. The SUV is thus now available in just three variants across its line-up - 2.2 4x2 AT Trend, 2.2 4x2 AT Titanium and 3.2 4x4 AT Titanium, which means that the Endeavour is now available with an automatic gearbox only.

These frequent changes to the Endeavour's variant line-up come in the wake of low sales figures of the SUV. Despite offering a well-packaged product, the Endeavour hasn't been able to compete with its main rival - the Toyota Fortuner. In May 2017, the Endeavour clocked 335 unit sales, while Toyota managed to sell 1,961 units of the Fortuner. This appears to have forced Ford to try different pricing strategies and cut down the number of variants of the Endeavour to make it more feasible for the market.

Revised variant line-up of the Endeavour (prices, ex-showroom, Delhi):
• 2.2 4x2 Automatic Transmission Trend - Rs. 25.49 lakh
• 2.2 4x2 Automatic Transmission Titanium - Rs. 28.62 lakh
• 3.2 4x4 Automatic Transmission Titanium - Rs. 31.50 lakh

Source: MyCarHelpline

Ford Endeavour - 2 variants discontinued, MT gearbox scrapped-endy.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

Such a shame. The 3.2 Trend 4x4 was the most vfm variant IMO.

How to kill a dying brand 101 - Ford India management led masterclass. In attendance, VW, Skoda and Fiat. Conspicuous by their absence - Maruti and Hyundai.

Ugh - what's wrong with this company that we love so much. Even a simple trade-off analysis and a cost-benefit model would've shown them that they're doing it wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dZired (Post 4220000)
This appears to have forced Ford to try different pricing strategies and cut down the number of variants of the Endeavour to make it more feasible for the market.

Ford is making a mess of the Endeavour!

And the timing absolutely couldn't be worse: we have GST and the launch of the Tiguan and Compass just around the corner.

Given these upcoming events, Ford should be making the Endeavour as strong a proposition as it can be.

Not sure how cutting down variants is good for the market!

While the price cut is welcome news (although not so much, given the price is pretty much behaving like the stock market), getting rid of the entire MT range might not be the best move.

Come on, Ford!

There's only so much a good product can do; it has to be backed by good business/marketing decisions.

Looks like GM is passing around their drink around Detroit and it has reached Ford.

Why not just have the least popular variants made-to-order? Uncompromising customers may not mind waiting a while, and Ford don't have to sit on unsold inventory. Win-win for everyone.

We may be inching towards auto-boxes as a market but not offering an MT at all is plain stupid, esp. when more competition is on the horizon.

I feel that the dull sales for the MT were because it was only offered in Trend. This is a very bad decision to take off it from the variants list. Enthusiasts still prefer manual.

I think this is due to Global demand and comparatively lower markups on Trend trims. Remember, unlike other products, Endeavour has very high import contents and it should be a nightmare for FORD logistics to keep pace with their marketing department so they must have thrown in the towel :)

Yes, a cheaper 4x4 Trend was always going to get them some customers from a lower segment but it appears FORD does not want and is happy to do whatever numbers they can get against Fortuner. Good for existing Trend buyers, their resales will get better :)

I don't see how cutting down variants will increase sales. Fortuner is offering 4WD in Manual and Auto. Similarly Ford should offer 4WD in 2.2 Manual and 2.2 Auto.

I feel sad. Ford is signaling "weakness" to its competitors, especially at a time when everyone is expecting prices to drop post GST (the Audi and Merc guys were in our apt complex in the past two weeks respectively, offering discounts and promising post-GST price cuts.....) Wonder where Ford India is losing its plot.

I think they are consolidating the models based on sales statistics and reducing kit import as well as operational cost. As a customer I would love to have choices, but for manufacturer numbers need to justify at the end of the day. Sad since this is a nice car but unfortunately Indian market not the most conducive for it :(

Wonder if we (Indian market) can hope for a complete online customised car purchase experience in the future? Doubt it looking at the complexity involved in our purchase thought process lol

We have to wait for another 3-4 months, check the monthly sales and decide if Ford indeed made right/wrong decision.

I had visited Ford today to get my figo serviced, happened to check out the price list of the endeavor.
Baring the obvious reduction of models, the shocking thing was the price increase.
The 2.2 titanium is 29.3 ex showroom Goa and that makes it just about a lakh cheaper than the 2.8 4x2 AT fortuner
And shockingly, the 3.2 titanium is just 20k cheaper than the highest model of the fortuner.
I think Ford has officialy given up on the endeavor. I expected a change in leadership to steer them towards giving a tough fight, well they have surrendered.
Sad day for endeavor fans..unless ,they are going to really give a huge price cut post GST, then they could be forgiven to some extent 😁

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 4220311)
I think they are consolidating the models based on sales statistics and reducing kit import as well as operational cost.

It may sound really stupid but why can't this be done with an advance order?
It may take more time for the customer to get the car. It may cost more. But Customer will have a choice at the end of the day.

It's not like they've to go back to the drawing board to deliver something like this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 4220311)
I think they are consolidating the models based on sales statistics ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 (Post 4220358)
We have to wait for another 3-4 months, ... decide if Ford indeed made right/wrong decision.

From what I was able to pick up, the variants that are in most demand are the A/T Titaniums. Ford turned away many potential customers with the long waiting periods on these.

In a discussion on another thread, an esteemed member suggested that Ford have to limit supply due to import restrictions and low domestic content.

So if this decision is indeed a variant rationalization by Ford and make the Titanium variants more easily available, then wouldn't that be a good thing indeed?

(I am not sure if a 2.2L, manual, 4×4 Endeavour would be a preferred 'enthusiast' option.)

It kind of makes sense since only the AT ones were selling. What I don't understand is why they did away with the 3.2 AT Trend. This was amazing VFM, cheaper than Fortuner and you would get the big beefy engine.

That said, reducing the number of options is like forcing you to spend more in this case.

Not sure if Ford have thought that by doing away with the MT and 3.2 AT Trend, customers might not even bother with Titanium and just walk over to the Toyota showroom.

Another point to note that May 2017 was the lowest sales figures for the Endeavour since it's launch at 335 units. The Fortuner is sitting pretty at nearly 2000 units.