Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2006, 13:36   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
No definitely I can't. Actually when I wrote farmers, I literally meant it. I read a report in India Today couple of years ago about Haryana farmers and their love for Mercedes (like a report telecasted on TV about Merc-lovers in Sholapur or some other Maharashtrian small city.). The report pictured a dark-blue Merc in front of a small house, kids were playing on a Khat and everything else looked like a simple village family except for that Merc in the aangan. I still stand by my comment that these farmers even if have Mercs in good numbers cannot dare selling them off every alternate year. I understand and accept what you talked about industries there. So as a whole we can have a conclusion that Mercs are much cheaper in Chandigarh and maybe Ludhiyana than any other part of India!
Usually these articles are more hype than truth. The ground realities are much different. I have stayed in Punjab for most of my life so I know who really owns these mercs. One or two farmers with mercs does not mean all have them!
So take such articles with the same pinch of salt as you take the articles talking about MBA rankings and such. Successive droughts etc., have ensured that the average or even the above average farmer has tough time affording a M800, let alone a merc. I come from the Village background, so I know who own mercs! Its mostly farmers whose lands have skyrocketed to multi crore value due to proximity to highway and the exhorbian prices big industries are willing to pay for these lands.
These mercs come with selling of farmland and diversification into urban real estate with lines between villages and cities getting thinner, esp in Punjab.
Old 13th November 2006, 14:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

WOW - Thats a lot of Merc's. How many does Audi sell here? Personally I would pick an A6
Old 13th November 2006, 14:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Usually these articles are more hype than truth. The ground realities are much different.
I know it very well but still sometimes those media morons succeed in transpiring their fake thoughts. :( I will be more careful next time.

Quote:
So take such articles with the same pinch of salt as you take the articles talking about MBA rankings and such. Successive droughts etc., have ensured that the average or even the above average farmer has tough time affording a M800, let alone a merc. I come from the Village background, so I know who own mercs!
Tanveer, I too am from the same background, not from Punjab but a rural town of MP. I can well imagine, how hard it is to maintain a tractor, Maruti 800 is simply out of question and considering Merc would be an insanity. But since most of the people are under impression that Punjab/Haryana are doing great in farming. This fact misguided me to consider Haryana farmers owning Mercs. Well picture is clear now!

Quote:
These mercs come with selling of farmland and diversification into urban real estate with lines between villages and cities getting thinner, esp in Punjab.
This is contradictory to our place. At my place government takes farms away from villagers for roads and railway tracks and pays them nuts for it. Poor people don't one-fourth of what they could have got on their own. A division/district that is the biggest producer of Mustard in Asia hardly owns one Merc! For people there owning an M800 is a matter of proud, I guess they will die of heart-attack if finds a Merc in someone else's garage.
Old 13th November 2006, 15:43   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
I know it very well but still sometimes those media morons succeed in transpiring their fake thoughts. :( I will be more careful next time.
Well its common. Many stories about South I had heard in "media" turned about to be false when I studied in kerala for 4 years
Quote:
This is contradictory to our place. At my place government takes farms away from villagers for roads and railway tracks and pays them nuts for it. Poor people don't one-fourth of what they could have got on their own. A division/district that is the biggest producer of Mustard in Asia hardly owns one Merc! For people there owning an M800 is a matter of proud, I guess they will die of heart-attack if finds a Merc in someone else's garage.
[/quote]
Ober 50% of MLA's in Punjab are from the farmer community and so it the votebank. They would not want to give their own lands away, would they? They own vast tracts of land worth multi multi crores along National highways and are very rich. So I dont expect them to pass an ordinance to give their lands away to SEZs! This may happen in some areas, but it will be very rare(mostly poor farmers with very small tracts in barren areas will suffer.
Moreover, as the land is high yield, giving it to industry will see lots of PILs as majority if India's food come from this land!
Old 1st October 2012, 20:37   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes car sales in India

Among the first advertisements from Mercedes Benz India Ltd, who came along, forming a joint venture with their long time, trusted friend, Telco (now Tata Motors)!

Mercedes car sales in India-picture-313.jpg

Some joint ventures like some marriages do not last!
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 22:56   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Another interesting tit-bit from 23/12/1995 about Mercedes Benz India's entry into the Indian market with a bang:

Mercedes car sales in India-picture-398.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:59   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Another E Class advertisement here :

Mercedes car sales in India-dsc09854.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks