Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:06   #31
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Fiat's 1.3L MJD will be R.I.P. by 2020

In my opinion, Maruti does not have the proper technical knowledge on making a good diesel engine. They had tried in past also but had failed miserably. Just like they used to take engines from Fiat, this time also they will take engines from Toyota and re-badge them as Suzuki and implant them in their cars. To the best of my knowledge, the diesel engines used in Etios and Etios Liva have 1400cc ones and they perform pretty well. They are also up-gradable to BS-VI. The tie-up between both these giants will give Maruti a chance to sell Toyota diesels.

Rather i also suspect Maruti doing no research work on diesel and will simply take the BS-VI engine from Toyota and directly fit it onto their cars. The only research they would be on how best they fit in their engines and what would be the Fuel efficiency figures of their cars. They would also be working on reducing the weight of their cars further so that they can provide more fuel efficient vehicles than Toyota. And our forever naive car buyers will queue up for Maruti and ignore Toyota.
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:32   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
In my opinion, Maruti does not have the proper technical knowledge on making a good diesel engine. They had tried in past also but had failed miserably. --.
BS VI Suzuki Diesel on track for Launch.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
BS VI Suzuki Diesel on track for Launch.

Link
It means that they have already taken the engine from Toyota and are ready with it. Maruti would have bumped up some figures (torque/BHP etc) to match the current generation of Fiat Diesels. And i bet that Toyota has asked for a hefty royalty on its engines which Maruti will charge back from its customers. Even if you see it from the car perspective, Toyota will be giving its global bestseller-Corolla, to them for re-badging under some new name. In return, Maruti would be giving them Brezza/Baleno which sells just in India and to some extent, it gets exported to other countries.
su1978 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:57   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
It means that they have already taken the engine from Toyota and are ready with it.
What Volkman pointed you to was an article that confirms the development of an in house BSVI ready 1.5 diesel by Maruti. It will debut in the Ertiga before becoming the engine of choice. This development has been happening much before the Toyota deal went through. Please go over this (Rumour: Maruti successfully tests Ciaz 1.5L diesel) thread for more details.

Last edited by Mukund : 2nd January 2019 at 12:59.
Old 25th April 2019, 15:22   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Officially Maruti Suzuki announces its diesel engine plans:

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 2383
Size:  38.5 KB

Quote:
Currently, diesel engine models constitute about 22-23% of the total sales of @Maruti_Corp . The 1.5 litre diesel engine newly launched on the Maruti Ciaz could be the only diesel engine on offer. The company has no plans to invest/develop new diesel engine cars.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th April 2019 at 15:26.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 15:54   #36
BHPian

Quote:
As per ET for now they have decided to stop selling diesel cars altogether. They will decide on upgrading their 1500CC engine in future only if there is enough demand.

Quote:
The country’s largest car maker Maruti Suzuki Thursday said it will stop production of diesel vehicles once BS VI emission norms become effective from April 1, 2020.
Quote:
Maruti Suzuki Chairman R C Bhargava said, “In small cars, the cost of upgrading diesel engines to BS VI standards will be substantial. With the price increase, these vehicles will become unviable for use by customers. We will completely stop selling diesel vehicles from April next year.” Currently, diesel vehicles comprise 23% of the company’s overall volumes.

The only segment where we may look at having a BS VI complaint Diesel engine is the 1500 cc. Nothing below that. If there is demand, we will develop a 1500 cc diesel vehicle within a reasonable period of time”, Bhargava informed.
ET
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 16:15   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Mint

This is a really big news in my opinion. If the largest OEM decides not to shift to BS6 compliant diesel and stop its production, that means its not profitable for the OEMs; or they have to pass on the significant increase in cost of production to end users.

I saw the press conference and it was mentioned that the production schedule will be done in such a way so that there are no diesel BS4 cars with the dealer as on April 1, 2020. That means the production of diesel cars will stop much ahead of March 31, 2020.

RIP DDiS
Old 10th June 2019, 18:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

With time ticking by, have we identified which engine could turn out to be the next national engine? Or for that matter which engine is the most ubiquitous now in 2019?

My guess, it is the Suzuki K12x series.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 10th June 2019 at 18:06.
Old 12th July 2019, 16:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Any issues with buying a 1.3 MJD car now? It's reliable, efficient and a proven engine. I'd rather go for a car powered by it than be a test mule for some manufacturer trying out their diesel engines.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 08:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Fiat's 1.3 MJD still does duty in Europe- euro 6 format.

Quote:
The engine is the same 1.3 Multijet II 95 HP that's offered on the bigger 500X crossover. Pre-facelift models also had a 1.3-liter, but it belonged to the previous generation. Now, features like stop-start and high injection (1600 bar) common rail injection are supposed to help you save fuel.

Besides making 95 ponies, this tiny four-cylinder mill also produces 170 Nm (125 lb-ft) of torque from as low as 1,250rpm and the full 200 Nm (147 lb-ft) at 2,000rpm. With the help of a 5-speed manual gearbox, this will get you from 0 to 100 km/h in 10.7 seconds. All these specs are the same as before, but CO2 emissions have gone from 97 grams per kilometer down to just 89 grams.
source

Honda's 1.6 idtec 93 g/km, while it's 110 g/km for euro 6 ecosport diesel.

So this little gem of an engine still keeps shining.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 09:42   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Any issues with buying a 1.3 MJD car now? It's reliable, efficient and a proven engine. I'd rather go for a car powered by it than be a test mule for some manufacturer trying out their diesel engines.
Absolutely no issues. I'd in fact push everyone to go get it while it is still available. Its an engineering masterpiece. And thats not exaggeration by any means. Its power and torque figures with just 1248cc (Fiat calls it 1.3, but it isn't even 1.25 really. It should be rounded to 1.2 by rules of maths!) are a dream come true for any engineer.
It rarely fails at all, so already risks are minimal. Solid robust build. There are millions on the road in cars from Maruti, Tata, Fiat, AshokLeyland/Chevrolet & Even PAL (Yes their little compact SUV RIO also has a sibling of the same engine.) doing duty & spares will always be available for eternity.

Even with the new breed 1.5L diesels around, this engine doesn't easily get beaten. Very few are as revv happy as this one and fuel efficient at the same time. Almost none of them match the 1st/2nd gear pick up on an incline without accelerator input of the 1.3 MJD. Its really a shame that Fiat decided not to upgrade it to BSVI for cost. The engine is a gem in Euro6 setup also. I have driven it.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks